New player looking for a new MMO.

So i been looking for a new MMO for the last 5 years. I recently sold alot of my dota 2 items on steam (thanks es sports betting for the last 5 years), needless to say i made quiet a bit of steam wallet cash just a little short of 4 digits. Then i realized hey there are MMO on steam! The more serious one seemed to be this game and reading the job system being so easy to just switch throught looked nice.

I still got some questions.

-If i wanna feel lazy, does controller really work well for gameplay?

-Is there some bullshit cash shop that have any effect on gameplay? I mean yes i got the cash to buy all bunch of stuff, but i prefer game with solid playing fields (coming from old competitive fps and rts).

-How friendly is the community? Im in my mid 30s, i kinda prefer community type of stuff, plus im likely going to get my wife to play with me. We kinda want an experience thats not an empty void like World of Wacraft community wise, but not highly toxic like dota. Like you know people that wanna help each other, people that wanna use voice chat?

-How are the queue times? Are we gona wait for 30 minutes for group play?

Controller is fine once you get used to it a little.

There is a cash shop but it is just cosmetics and mounts really and even then it's 3 mounts.

Community is dependent on server. Is very friendly however has the occasional toxic one.

Queue times like WoW are time dependent. More dead in the morning. Sometimes might be better finding a group for specific dungeons but it's very very rarely the case.

If i wanna feel lazy, does controller really work well for gameplay?
    It works perfectly, the game and its UI is very well optimised for controller gameplay. The majority of JP players use a console or a controller, at the same time there's many NA/EU players using controllers in high-end raiding or pvp groups.

Is there some bullshit cash shop that have any effect on gameplay?
    No, everything in the shop is purely cosmetic, in fact many of the shop items can be acquired in-game through events or farming/rng i.e dyes.

How friendly is the community? Im in my mid 30s, i kinda prefer community type of stuff, plus im likely going to get my wife to play with me. We kinda want an experience thats not an empty void like World of Wacraft community wise, but not highly toxic like dota. Like you know people that wanna help each other, people that wanna use voice chat?
    From all the MMOs I've played I've found FFXIV community to be incredibly welcoming and friendly. As in every large online community there are assholes in every turn, but in general you should have a good time. It's nothing like DOTA.

How are the queue times? Are we gona wait for 30 minutes for group play?
    Server queue times tend to be pretty low to non existent in highly populated servers. Group content queues are highly dependant on your group composition, what kind of content you are queueing for, and what time you are queueing at. However it can be quite misleading, for instance queueing as a Tank for roulettes or patch content you'll get a group pretty much instantaneously at any time of the day. Whereas DPS queues can be long regardless of the time.

Other than the completely random assholes the only salty people you're likely to run into are people who yell at you for watching the cutscenes in dungeons. This has gotten better over time, but you're still likely to catch some flak if you do it in the 8man groups.

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch View Post
    So i been looking for a new MMO for the last 5 years. I recently sold alot of my dota 2 items on steam (thanks es sports betting for the last 5 years), needless to say i made quiet a bit of steam wallet cash just a little short of 4 digits. Then i realized hey there are MMO on steam! The more serious one seemed to be this game and reading the job system being so easy to just switch throught looked nice.

I still got some questions.

-If i wanna feel lazy, does controller really work well for gameplay?

-Is there some bullshit cash shop that have any effect on gameplay? I mean yes i got the cash to buy all bunch of stuff, but i prefer game with solid playing fields (coming from old competitive fps and rts).

-How friendly is the community? Im in my mid 30s, i kinda prefer community type of stuff, plus im likely going to get my wife to play with me. We kinda want an experience thats not an empty void like World of Wacraft community wise, but not highly toxic like dota. Like you know people that wanna help each other, people that wanna use voice chat?

-How are the queue times? Are we gona wait for 30 minutes for group play?
    Controller does work very well but there are a lot of abilities for some jobs that can make playing with a controller feel a little clunky, at least for me.

The Cash shop has no effect on gameplay at all.

The community is truly awesome. One of the best I've experienced in an online game.

Queue times for healers and tanks are pretty much instant as to be expected. DPS queues is usually around 15-20 minutes in my experience.

- Haven't tried the game with a controller; I'm too comfy with kb/m

- Cash shop is pretty much cosmetics only. No power gain from anything there.

- Fairly level-headed community. You don't see a bunch of town chat spam like you do in WoW where half the time it's "ANAL [item/achieve name]"

- Queue times for healer are short; tank is pretty much always instant. DPS can be a few minutes, but not 30-45 minutes.