Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

so i cooked some calamari...

and when i ate it it had this sickly sweet almost tangy taste to it that the other batch did not have. i did not add anything different. it was plain old deep fried calamari with just some cajun seasoning garlic salt and pepper in a flour based breading. it did not come in contact with anything else. could i have inadvertently eaten some bad calamari? cause now my stomach doesn't feel too good... it was sitting out thawed for about 30 hours or so before i ate it. didn't have time to make it on the day it thawed out was busy that day. not asking for medical advice just want to know if this is an indication of seafood gone bad.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

7+ Year Old Account
    Nah you're good.

It was sitting out for 30 hours? Then yes, it was bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by High General Turalyon View Post
    First, however, I must escape the clutches of the evil warlock Chris Metzonius of Blizzardonia. Only then may I return to Azeroth and smite the Horde with righteous fury!

10+ Year Old Account
    You'll be fine as long as you don't die in the next 72 hours

well you'll know soon enough

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seosaimhin View Post
    It was sitting out for 30 hours? Then yes, it was bad.
    give or take 6 hours. it was in the fridge. not sitting out on the countertop.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Natureseer View Post
    well you'll know soon enough
    well it could also be gas as i do have gas issues with my stomach from time to time.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    You'll be fine. Maybe it had a little taint and its making your tummy a bit rough; but if it was bad you'd know because you'd be vomitting and shitting like your insides can't escape fast enough
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    You'll be fine. Maybe it had a little taint and its making your tummy a bit rough; but if it was bad you'd know because you'd be vomitting and shitting like your insides can't escape fast enough
    well it did have a lot of red on it when i opened it up....and i don't mean on the tentacles.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thank fucking god, if it was on the countertop I'd tell you to go to the hospital right away.

The flavor could be anything. Not washed enough, a different type of squid, contamination from something else. If you're not sick by now, you're going to be fine.

well it did have a lot of red on it when i opened it up....and i don't mean on the tentacles.
    Are you shitting everywhere and vomiting?

Then you're good It's a fail-safe test

- - - Updated - - -

I've just realised who I'm talking to.

This is all psychosomatic from eating what *MIGHT* have been Draenei. Maybe even just pointing this out will cause you to throw up I don't know.

Wht on earth are you eating tentacled things for?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Are you shitting everywhere and vomiting?

Then you're good It's a fail-safe test

- - - Updated - - -

I've just realised who I'm talking to.

This is all psychosomatic from eating what *MIGHT* have been Draenei. Maybe even just pointing this out will cause you to throw up I don't know.

Wht on earth are you eating tentacled things for?
    well it did have some really neat holes in some of the tentacles....i'm serious. almost like they were wearing earrings.
    also calamari:

aka fried draenei.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Thank fucking god, if it was on the countertop I'd tell you to go to the hospital right away.

The flavor could be anything. Not washed enough, a different type of squid, contamination from something else. If you're not sick by now, you're going to be fine.
    i still have a little bit left over. should i just throw the rest then? i've been keeping it in the fridge.

Was it fresh caught or frozen?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by atsawin26 View Post
    Was it fresh caught or frozen?
    it was frozen after being freshly caught. got it at walmart which is the ONLY store around here that carries it. their calamari tends to sometimes make my stomach gassy or gives me the shits. i'm not sure why....but it's the only store that has it anymore....

10+ Year Old Account
    i still have a little bit left over. should i just throw the rest then? i've been keeping it in the fridge.
    No, you don't need to toss it, now that it is cooked, it'll last longer. The only issue is reheating it will mean it will be rubbery and more difficult to eat.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelk View Post
    You'll be fine as long as you don't die in the next 72 hours
    I legitimately laughed out loud to this. Definitely way harder than I should have. Tyvm!

I wouldn't eat Walmart calamari, to be honest.

I only bother if it's fresh and not frozen. Which is hard to come by sometimes. When I was a kid and we'd go on vacation to the coast or islands, we could go down and buy it from fishermen right off their boat. No frozen calamari has ever matched it.

Could they have come into contact with something while frozen? I'd reckon it was just a poor quality batch.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    No, you don't need to toss it, now that it is cooked, it'll last longer. The only issue is reheating it will mean it will be rubbery and more difficult to eat.
    actually i somehow managed to cook it just enough where reheating it doesn't make it really rubbery. i think i finally managed to make the perfect calamari in terms of chewiness this time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by atsawin26 View Post
    I wouldn't eat Walmart calamari, to be honest.

I only bother if it's fresh and not frozen. Which is hard to come by sometimes. When I was a kid and we'd go on vacation to the coast or islands, we could go down and buy it from fishermen right off their boat. No frozen calamari has ever matched it.

Could they have come into contact with something while frozen? I'd reckon it was just a poor quality batch.
    unforetunately i'm desperate for calamari and festival and other local grocers don't carry it anymore...
    otherwise i avoid walmart like the plaque when it comes to food for a number of reasons the quality of their food being one of them.

Just keep some medicinal charcoal around if you always have problems with it.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

if you want to make calamari thats not rubbery you can marinate it in kiwifruit, you wont taste it much when its cooked but it helps tenderize meats/calamari, as for the taste of the batch you made if it was sour or smelly it would be off but since you didnt get sick i wouldnt worry much

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    Just keep some medicinal charcoal around if you always have problems with it.
    what is medicinal charcoal?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tanksin the enhance shamy View Post
    if you want to make calamari thats not rubbery you can marinate it in kiwifruit, you wont taste it much when its cooked but it helps tenderize meats/calamari, as for the taste of the batch you made if it was sour or smelly it would be off but since you didnt get sick i wouldnt worry much
    idk i really don't care for kiwi.