Is this a good buy?

Looking to upgrade my current POS laptop to something that can run WoW on something more than potato quality. One of my friends has a laptop for sale, and I am trying to figure out if it is a good deal. The laptop is 3 years old, but has seen minimal use due to have more powerful machines. This is the computer in question: ASUS G74SX-A1 17.3-Inch Gaming Laptop - Republic of Gamers

He is asking 500$ for it. Is this a good deal?

It will run WoW on medium settings just fine, but its not worth 500 bucks. The guy probably paid 2k for it and thinks its worth a lot more than it is.

What makes it not worth 500$. Could I spend 500$ on a new laptop and get something that is better? Recommendations?

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bstoic View Post
    What makes it not worth 500$. Could I spend 500$ on a new laptop and get something that is better? Recommendations?
    Outdated hardware. 560M is a pretty weak card and the CPU is extremely old. Friend might have bought it three years ago, but the hardware inside is older than that. 500M series is just over 5 years old and the 560M wasn't any means a powerhouse even then.

While true it's difficult to find laptops with dedicated GPUs at $500, fact remains is you'd be spending $500 on an outdated, out of warranty, semi mediocre performing laptop. Might as well invest a little more into a brand new laptop with much better hardware. Or even better, take that $500 and build a much better performing desktop if you don't need the constant mobility. And to be frank, the laptop is likely nearing it's gaming life cycle which is why you're friend is trying to get rid of it. $500 for something that's soon to be obsolete if not dead in the near future vs a couple hundred more for something that will last you some years.
    Last edited by Arbiter; 2016-03-29 at 03:13 AM.
    | Fractal Design Define R5 White | Intel i7-4790K CPU | Corsair H100i Cooler | 16GB G.Skill Ripsaws X 1600Mhz |
    | MSI Gaming 6G GTX 980ti | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD |

http://www.microcenter.com/product/4..._-_Steel_Black

This is the cheapest gtx 950m lappy i could find. Like said above you really dont wanna plop down 500 bucks on a used laptop, just too risky.

This is actually a steal for 599.00. This is also at least 60-70% faster than your friends machine lol.
    Last edited by Fascinate; 2016-03-29 at 03:17 AM.