My first time building a pc

So, i've done a bit of looking around, and i've come to this build
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/MN3r23
    and, as i've never really done this before, figured i'd ask if it's ideal for at least 30 fps in all modern games, at medium/high settings (1080p) (i'm US)
    also open to suggestions for different parts if there's something better for the same price.
    Last edited by Hunterpower; 2016-03-29 at 12:36 AM.

With a low budget like that knowing if you live near a microcenter is a big deal.

http://www.microcenter.com/

Menu at the top shows whats states/cities its located.

If you aren't near a microcenter:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor ($73.88 @ OutletPC)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T2 54.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($16.99 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: ASRock FM2A88X PRO3+ ATX FM2+ Motherboard ($57.55 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Mushkin ECO2 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($31.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: A-Data Premier SP550 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($57.78 @ NCIX US)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($45.89 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 950 2GB Superclocked+ ACX 2.0 Video Card ($144.99 @ Amazon)
    Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Micro Center)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($63.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-14 DVD/CD Writer ($13.99 @ Newegg)
    Other: Windows 10 Pro ($29.69)
    Total: $586.73
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-28 20:58 EDT-0400
    Last edited by Fascinate; 2016-03-29 at 12:58 AM.

Yeah i'm not anywhere near a microcenter, looks like.
    on that build, is this anything to worry about? "Some AMD A88X chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Kaveri CPUs."

Nah not to worry. They say that just to cover their butts. Updating a bios is very easy to do, asrock has a program called asrock appshop.

This isnt a high end rig or anything, but it should play most games on medium or high like you are looking for

- - - Updated - - -

You could also go the intel route, in my opinion its not as future proof as the above build but we wont know for a while: (this will play certain games a bit faster than above build, with a bit less multitasking ability):

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor ($112.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: Asus B150M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($76.43 @ Amazon)
    Memory: G.Skill NT Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($32.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Seagate 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive ($69.88 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 950 2GB Superclocked+ ACX 2.0 Video Card ($144.99 @ Amazon)
    Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($55.11 @ Mac Mall)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($63.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Optical Drive: LG GH24NSC0B DVD/CD Writer ($13.99 @ Newegg)
    Other: Windows 10 Pro ($29.69)
    Total: $600.06
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-28 23:51 EDT-0400
    Last edited by Fascinate; 2016-03-29 at 02:36 AM.

Deleted
    There is no debate about the Athlon vs the i3. The i3 is up to 50% faster in anything, even during rendering and games is night and day apart. You will only curse the moment you bought it. This will be alot better, also i bet you can find cheaper windows around to make it even cheaper than your original build:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B150M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($81.97 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($35.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.85 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB SuperSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($169.99 @ NCIX US)
    Case: Thermaltake Core V21 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic 350W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($42.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($86.86 @ Amazon)
    Total: $619.63
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-29 02:39 EDT-0400

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($51.89 @ OutletPC)
    Memory: Avexir Budget Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($26.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Team Ultra L5 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($37.98 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.85 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 380 4GB NITRO Dual-X OC Video Card ($174.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($36.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($34.99 @ Amazon)
    Optical Drive: LG GH24NSC0B DVD/CD Writer ($13.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $539.66
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-29 04:04 EDT-0400

You can get a cheap windows 10 key from Kinguin, G2a, or sites alike.

Also for a Optical drive, you rarely need this now of days... you can buy some really cheap used ones online. I picked one up on ebay for 5-6$ just for certain things. Unless you planto burn and use bluray etc.

I3 is much better then AMD Athlon X4 860K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor

SSD will really speed up your start up time and 1-2 of your favourite games. Put the rest on the 1TB

MOBO + i3 + Ram is skylake / DDR4, more future proof.. if you decide to upgrade down the road. add a stick of more ram for 16GB, a better CPU etc..

The GPU however, is just below the top tier or 390/970/Fury/980. This should last you for awhile, especially the 4GB version, it's never a bad idea to have more dedicated memory incase you decide to play games other then what you posted. Minds change and you want a graphics card that you dont have to worry about handling new games.

Case is a nice simple, lots of room to build budget case. My parents have one and it works great.

Also GPU comes with Free Game & USD $20 promotional gift card w/ purchase, limited offer
    for time being.
    Last edited by BetrayedOf52; 2016-03-29 at 08:09 AM.

Ok, liking the i3, but a couple more questions
    would i need to add a aftermarket cpu cooler to that one? or would it be fine with stock fans?
    and, the kinguin windows 10 product key, how would i use that? do i need to activate on a already working computer, then burn to a disc? since i've always bought prebuilt til now, i have no idea how that works,
    betrayed, on that list, it says the tower doesn't have front usb 3.0 ports, does that mean the 2 usbs on the front wont work with that motherboard?
    i think the other thing is negligible, the card would probably only block 1 of the bays if that by the looks

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunterpower View Post
    would i need to add a aftermarket cpu cooler to that one? or would it be fine with stock fans?
    and, the kinguin windows 10 product key, how would i use that? do i need to activate on a already working computer, then burn to a disc? since i've always bought prebuilt til now, i have no idea how that works,
    You don't need an aftermarket cooler, the i3 comes with the intel one. Its not the best but it works fine for a few years. Win10 either way most of the times comes with just a code or on a usb stick not a dvd, or at least haven't seen one. What you do is download win10 from microsoft and mount it on a usb stick. They have software for that too on their webpage. Then you instal your o/s from the usb stick and use the win code to activate it while installing windows or later online.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunterpower View Post
    betrayed, on that list, it says the tower doesn't have front usb 3.0 ports, does that mean the 2 usbs on the front wont work with that motherboard?
    i think the other thing is negligible, the card would probably only block 1 of the bays if that by the looks
    You don't need an aftermarket cooler but I would definitely recommend one. The stock cooler is fine if you're not OCing but it will run at significantly higher temperatures than even the cheapest aftermarket cooler, and heat is one of the main factors that reduces the lifespan of electronics.

The Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO or a Cryorig H7 are what I would recommend. Of course if your budget is really tight and you can't afford the extra $25-35 then just stick with the stock one, you will be fine. Even though the stock cooler won't cool as well, it's still more likely that you'll end up getting a new PC before your CPU actually dies on you.

Quote Originally Posted by Denkou View Post
    You don't need an aftermarket cooler but I would definitely recommend one. The stock cooler is fine if you're not OCing but it will run at significantly higher temperatures than even the cheapest aftermarket cooler, and heat is one of the main factors that reduces the lifespan of electronics.

The Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO or a Cryorig H7 are what I would recommend. Of course if your budget is really tight and you can't afford the extra $25-35 then just stick with the stock one, you will be fine. Even though the stock cooler won't cool as well, it's still more likely that you'll end up getting a new PC before your CPU actually dies on you.
    For an i3? Really? Seriously, you do not start doing long term damage to a CPU until it gets above 90-100C, at which point it will throttle to keep itself within safe temps anyway. Even if running it at 70C does shorten the life, it's still going to last so long that you'll be wanting to replace it because it simply won't be able to play current games anymore long before it will fail.

Stock cooler is totally fine on an i3 and really and PC that you are not OCing on.