Page 1 of 2
LastLast

What is the best way to distribute loot at high end gaming?

Our guild currently uses a form of hidden Loot Council. If you are raiding in a "high end" raiding guild, what is the preferred loot distribution system and why? I am thinking that an exposed EPGP loot based system with Loot Council? Or maybe no loot council at all?

loot council

Loot council obviously, this is such an easy question.

If your officers can't distribute loot in an objective manner that best propels the raid's progression, then you are not at "high end gaming".
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

so despite what others will claim, it's obviously personal loot

10+ Year Old Account
    I personally run with request roll + SK, but I guess for a serious group loot council will be the option. However it should be transparent and everyone should know why or how can the be more favored in getting an item. Keeping things hidden or none transparent, I do believe even in "high end" guild, will lead to disputes, anger and quits.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Plastkin View Post
    People (unless it's a complete pug ofc) seem to hate PL with passion. And when I've tried it out in my regular group while back... the yield what you got from running PL was pretty meh, compared to what ML>OS raked in.
    Just curious why you feel that PL is good to have (on top of the obvious that there won't be any fights about loot or need to waste time discussing and handing out loot)?

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Dictatorship.

I just give shit out how I feel it would be best used, and nobody questions it. It's pretty easy with minimal research to know what sets are best for who, and what trinkets give the biggest impact to certain classes over others. If you raid lead and look at logs it's also easy to determine who are your best players, and who will get the most mileage out of something as well, in the events that something might be slightly better in one classes hands than another, but the other player just ends up pulling more raid DPS with it because they are... better you just give it to them. Basically whatever gives you more raid DPS is a good rule on who to give loot too. Special circumstances do arise where certain phases or splits happen requiring certain amount of DPS or classes to excel at. Making your hunters really geared, or melee in SoO to do belts is a good example.

Half the time I just let people roll on it if it's an equal upgrade. I'm always there, and know what composition I'll be using for later bosses and mostly use that to decide who I'll be focusing loot on. Not that I care about loot in the slightest, but it helps being a MT, because tanks in general shouldn't give a shit about loot to begin with, and the loot they do care about is usually only contested between two people lol. If you find yourself in a guild worrying about high end raiding and they are giving gear that's contested between healers/tanks/dps, and they aren't giving it to DPS, you should probably leave. Historically, gearing roles other than DPS isn't needed, although there have been certain set bonuses that do make a difference, but you can manage.

In the end if you care about progression and your group understands that, you funnel to your best players depending on who is going to be used on the bosses forward in the instance. Generally you'll have a good idea whats needed for the truly hard bosses so you gear for that in mind. Basically the faster you kill stuff the faster people end up getting loot anyway, so whining and complaining about it in the meantime really doesn't help.

Loot Council in my opinion, since that allows either even distribution of loot or if required, then you can funnel it to someone.

Personal Loot will work fine during the 1st reset, but as soon as there is a chance, that you will start to get duplicate items then it loses it's value.

Quote Originally Posted by Dezminion View Post
    Loot Council in my opinion, since that allows either even distribution of loot or if required, then you can funnel it to someone.
    Personal Loot will work fine during the 1st reset, but as soon as there is a chance, that you will start to get duplicate items then it loses it's value.
    In Legion you can trade duplicate personal loot items. So Personal Loot is the best system in Legion.
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

If they implement tradeable personal loot. It will be an endless bitching in pugs and lfr. Endless whisper "can i have that i try to get it so long" or "i need that for my 4piece plzzzzz". But I agreed if they do that pl will become the best system if they don´t reduce the drop amount at the same time.

And it will be gameable to no end. Good luck top guilds running with 17 cloth dps or 17 plate dps to maximise loot chance for certain chars.

Officially we use lootcouncil(which I consider the best method), but in reality it's mostly a dictatorship where 1 guy hands out loot to whoever he feels would benefit the most. It works great. Not looking forward to PL potentially being the best method.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

I think a lot depends on your guild too. If your guildmates trust you to be fair and unbiased in your decisions, then Loot Council is great. Unless you really know your stuff about all classes, future comps and who is going to be getting the most out of an item apart from a straight ilvl upgrade (great if you can!) then having it down to one person is tricky.
    You can always use tools such as EPGP to track attendance to make those last decisions if its a real tie-break between people, but I would say having an educated opinion is better.

People should really be of the mindset that - yes, gear is likely to be funnelled to the highest performing people. That's the biggest benefit for the team. So that should be incentive enough for them to push themselves to be next on that prio list.

Another thing to mention is that you probably want to go with a method that doesn't waste too much time. In all honesty, the quicker you dish it out and move on is often when you have the least bitching. Take your time about it and people over-analyse it themselves and then tend to whinge if it didnt go their way.

A bit of forward planning goes a long way - even publish on your guild-site tier priority etc so people can know when to expect theirs - and that speeds up distribution in raid times.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Feuerbart View Post
    Good luck top guilds running with 17 cloth dps or 17 plate dps to maximise loot chance for certain chars.
    Ughhh..I hadn't even thought of that....

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Plastkin View Post
    Quite

http://www.darklegacycomics.com/531

There is no best way. All methods wont fit all guilds. You should look at a list of options with your raid council/raid group as a whole and vote what to go with to minimze drama etc.

Some caveats of common systems:
    - A loot council can be only so good as the loot councils understanding of every class (and bias towards members)
    - DKP will penalize new players, and is a chore to maintain
    - Rolling for loot will most likely distribute items unevenly
    - DKP/Rolling might distribute items to players that get less out of the items
    - Personal loot, when in a situation that half the group no longer gets upgareds will waste "drops" for each boss, while using normal loot maximizes the ability to give items to anyone who might get something out of em
    Quote Originally Posted by a wiser man
    Tanking should not exist just to let healers and dps have fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coramac
    If a monk has 200k DTPS and 200k HPS in hots on him, does anyone hear when he purifies?
    WeakAura sets with Rotation Helpers: Vengeance - Brewmaster

ARMORY - ARMORY
    <Ninjapartio>

Quote Originally Posted by Sonnillon View Post
    People (unless it's a complete pug ofc) seem to hate PL with passion. And when I've tried it out in my regular group while back... the yield what you got from running PL was pretty meh, compared to what ML>OS raked in.
    Just curious why you feel that PL is good to have (on top of the obvious that there won't be any fights about loot or need to waste time discussing and handing out loot)?
    PL is great when a lot of people in the raid still need loot (like a group of low ilvl alts gearing up, or even a normal raid in the first one or two resets). The more gear you have and the less slots you have to fill PL gets worse and worse.

How fair you find that council master is giving tier item to someone that alredy have the item only for warforged chance when i don't have the item.(3 weeks old member but i was on first kill on that boss)

Quote Originally Posted by wladimir89 View Post
    How fair you find that council master is giving tier item to someone that alredy have the item only for warforged chance when i don't have the item.(3 weeks old member but i was on first kill on that boss)
    If you're a trial you don't get shit, pretty standard is guilds
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

Loot council is always best in theory.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Adams View Post
    If you're a trial you don't get shit, pretty standard is guilds
    That is pretty bad management and not best for guild at all, which is how loot council should be targeted. If the trial is likely to be around for bosses and if he was in for prog and is still there 3 weeks later I assume he will be, giving REROLLS to others before the trial just because they are a trial is moronic at best. It won't even matter if the trial did ditch and you are building good will.

I do loot 'furah' (my old mains name) or dictator as well, I make all the decisions except I let my healer officer manage healing loot. Once in farm I kind of just don't care so I let the two people who are best choices decide between them and if there's no way to split it then I'll roll.
    Last edited by desert-wind; 2016-03-30 at 03:40 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    If ur an good/decent raiding guild with a stable team, use Lootcouncil. If ur in a cesspool of a "raidteam" use /roll
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frolk View Post
    If ur in a cesspool of a "raidteam" use /roll
    Isn't this bit of a harsh statement? Not that I am saying that roll is a good option, but still...