Poll: Should US Territories have Voting Rights?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    All three of these can basically be reduced to "America is and has always been imperfect." It's troubling to think anyone could disagree with that statement.
    No, it comes down to saying that America is more imperfect than it is perfect. No one thinks America is perfect.

i think they should become states and get to do the things that states do.

either that, or the US should give them up entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    He's a comedian who has an audience of people who hate America, his job is to entertain those people. As an actor he could take on any cause, I don't know what his true feelings are.
    Criticism =\= Hate.

Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    If he had a negative view of this country then why would he be criticizing a lot of situations in this nation that can be perceived as negative by both liberals and conservatives?

Being critical does not equal hate, he's simply criticizing things he finds dumb or outrageous to gain both attention on the subject and comedy.
    I don't think he has ever tackled an issue that did not push some form of left-wing position. I might be wrong but all of his videos seem very one sided and mock anyone who disagrees with them.

I never said he hated America but I think he definitely sees the problems of the country before he sees the successes of the country.

Now that we have plenty of foreigners to point out our faults, I think the American left wing can leave that job to them.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    I don't think he has ever tackled an issue that did not push some form of left-wing position. I might be wrong but all of his videos seem very one sided and mock anyone who disagrees with them.

I never said he hated America but I think he definitely sees the problems of the country before he sees the successes of the country.
    That's who his, and formerly John Stewart's audience is. He is simply selling "hate" because there is market demand for it. (Quotes because mocking is pretty low on the hate scale)

- - - Updated - - -

Now that we have plenty of foreigners to point out our faults, I think the American left wing can leave that job to them.
    No, they will try and one up them.

Well he's very left, but at the same time he does come off with a lot of content as a more moderate left. This is a comedy show, it's difficult to try to examine both sides of an argument thoroughly amd through a comedic sense without offending cor putting off people.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    That's who his, and formerly John Stewart's audience is. He is simply selling "hate" because there is market demand for it. (Quotes because mocking is pretty low on the hate scale)

- - - Updated - - -

No, they will try and one up them.
    Again criticism is not hate. If most hated America, they would undoubtedly leave.

Well he's very left, but at the same time he does come off with a lot of content as a more moderate left. This is a comedy show, it's difficult to try to examine both sides of an argument thoroughly amd through a comedic sense without offending cor putting off people.
    I agree which is why people like me get really turned off when entertainment and politics get mixed because these comedians and pundits are never smart or detailed enough to get down to the issue at hand, they end up cohesively showing one side of it while attempting to demonize the other.

Way too many shows I watch I end up being demonized while someone makes a one-sided argument.

It is like watching a debate where only one side can speak and the other has to sit and watch while they wear a clown suit.

The Spanish-American War was fought over Cuba and for Cuba Libre
    We fought for rum and coke?

- - - Updated - - -

Again criticism is not hate. If most hated America, they would undoubtedly leave.
    That's a complete fallacy. Practically nobody leaves the US over politics. You can hate something and still be willing to stick around and try and change it. Also, you presume that hating things is not what they want out of life; I disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by nextormento View Post
    We fought for rum and coke?
    "Free Cuba", from the Spanish.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

I agree which is why people like me get really turned off when entertainment and politics get mixed because these comedians and pundits are never smart or detailed enough to get down to the issue at hand, they end up cohesively showing one side of it while attempting to demonize the other.

Way too many shows I watch I end up being demonized while someone makes a one-sided argument.

It is like watching a debate where only one side can speak and the other has to sit and watch while they wear a clown suit.
    Yeah that's understandable.

Criticism =\= Hate.
    Some people want change, because change can bring about improvement. When everything is going to shit, ignoring it doesn't fix anything, nor does just trying to maintain the status quo and hoping for the best. When a company is doing poorly they don't survive by doing exactly what they have been doing. They take a hard look and make changes. Managers may not like to hear that the numbers are nose diving, but somebody needs to speak up so the problem can be fixed. Generally the people that speak up are the ones that care about the success of the whole, the ones that don't just want to line their pockets as long as they can.

10+ Year Old Account
    Doesn't Puerto Rico want to become a state now? And hell, we haven't even extended universal citizenship and gay marriage to American Samoa.
    Nor should we. If these tiny little Islands want to have the same benefits as Americans, then they should vote to become a state. Im tired of these territories wanting to have their cake and eat it too. They want to stay independent and yet still have all the benefits that American do including the right to vote in our elections. Vote to join us as a state or shut up

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Nor should we. If these tiny little Islands want to have the same benefits as Americans, then they should vote to become a state. Im tired of these territories wanting to have their cake and eat it too. They want to stay independent and yet still have all the benefits that American do including the right to vote in our elections. Vote to join us as a state or shut up
    Puerto Rico DID vote to be a state though.

They don't want to and aren't independent, that's like having a house and then having two sheds in your yard, those sheds may not be directly attached or considered a direct part of your house, but they're on your property and belong to you and therefore are an extension of the house.

It doesn't work like that, you can't just vote and you instantly become a state it has to pass through congress and the white house first which is basically not going to happen since each party fears what that will do to the balance of power.

Quote Originally Posted by Dracos854 View Post
    It doesn't work like that, you can't just vote and you instantly become a state it has to pass through congress and the white house first which is basically not going to happen since each party fears what that will do to the balance of power.
    Republicans don't want Puerto Rico to become a state cause Puerto Rico votes Democrat. They want Puerto Rico to become it's own country.

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Republicans don't want Puerto Rico to become a state cause Puerto Rico votes Democrat. They want Puerto Rico to become it's own country.
    They dont have a big enough population to really make a difference. IF they were a state they would probably only have 3 electoral college votes

They dont have a big enough population to really make a difference. IF they were a state they would probably only have 3 electoral college votes
    That is huge. Elections have been lost over less.