Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    Deleted

Iraqi Kurds reject Islam - reviving Zoroastrianism

Source: http://www.niqash.org/en/articles/so...t-Religion.htm

The small, ancient religion of Zoroastrianism is being revived in northern Iraq. Followers say locals should join because it's a truly Kurdish belief. Others say the revival is a reaction to extremist Islam.

One of the smallest and oldest religions in the world is experiencing a revival in the semi-autonomous region of Iraqi Kurdistan. The religion has deep Kurdish roots – it was founded by Zoroaster, also known as Zarathustra, who was born in the Kurdish part of Iran and the religion's sacred book, the Avesta, was written in an ancient language from which the Kurdish language derives. However this century it is estimated that there are only around 190,000 believers in the world - as Islam became the dominant religion in the region during the 7th century, Zoroastrianism more or less disappeared.

Until – quite possibly – now. For the first time in over a thousand years, locals in a rural part of Sulaymaniyah province conducted an ancient ceremony on May 1, whereby followers put on a special belt that signifies they are ready to serve the religion and observe its tenets. It would be akin to a baptism in the Christian faith.

The newly pledged Zoroastrians have said that they will organise similar ceremonies elsewhere in Iraqi Kurdistan and they have also asked permission to build up to 12 temples inside the region, which has its own borders, military and Parliament. Zoroastrians are also visiting government departments in Iraqi Kurdistan and they have asked that Zoroastrianism be acknowledged as a religion officially. They even have their own anthem and many locals are attending Zoroastrian events and responding to Zoroastrian organisations and pages on social media.

Although as yet there are no official numbers as to how many Kurdish locals are actually turning to this religion, there is certainly a lot of discussion about it. And those who are already Zoroastrians believe that as soon as locals learn more about the religion, their numbers will increase. They also seem to selling the idea of Zoroastrianism by saying that it is somehow “more Kurdish” then other religions – certainly an attractive idea in an area where many locals care more about their ethnic identity than religious divisions.

As one believer, Dara Aziz, told NIQASH: “I really hope our temples will open soon so that we can return to our authentic religion”.

“This religion will restore the real culture and religion of the Kurdish people,” says Luqman al-Haj Karim, a senior representative of Zoroastrianism and head of the Zoroastrian organisation, Zand, who believes that his belief system is more “Kurdish” than most. “The revival is a part of a cultural revolution, that gives people new ways to explore peace of mind, harmony and love,” he insists.

In fact, Zoroastrians believe that the forces of good and evil are continually struggling in the world – this is why many locals also suspect that this religious revival has more to do with the security crisis caused by the extremist group known as the Islamic State, as well as deepening sectarian and ethnic divides in Iraq, than any needs expressed by locals for something to believe in.

“The people of Kurdistan no longer know which Islamic movement, which doctrine or which fatwa, they should be believing in,” Mariwan Naqshbandi, the spokesperson for Iraqi Kurdistan's Ministry of Religious Affairs, told NIQASH. He says that the interest in Zoroastrianism is a symptom of the disagreements within Islam and religious instability in the Iraqi Kurdish region, as well as in the country as a whole.

“For many more liberal or more nationalist Kurds, the mottos used by the Zoroastrians seem moderate and realistic,” Naqshbandi explains. “There are many people here who are very angry with the Islamic State group and it's inhumanity.”

Naqshbandi also confirmed that his Ministry would help the Zoroastrians achieve their goals. The right to freedom of religion and worship was enshrined in Kurdish law and Naqshbandi said that the Zoroastrians would be represented in his offices.

Zoroastrian leader al-Karim isn't so sure whether it is the Islamic State, or IS, group's extremism that is changing how locals think about religion. “The people of Kurdistan are suffering from a collapsing culture that actually hinders change,” he argues. “It's illogical to connect Zoroastrianism with the IS group. We are simply encouraging a new way of thinking about how to live a better life, the way that Zoroaster told us to.”

On local social media there has been much discussion on this subject. One of the most prevalent questions is this: Will the Kurdish abandon Islam altogether in favour of other beliefs?

“We don't want to be a substitute for any other religion,” al-Karim replies. “We simply want to respond to society's needs.”

However, even if al-Karim doesn't admit it, it is clear to everyone else. Committing to Zoroastrianism would mean abandoning Islam. But even those who want to take on the Zoroastrian “belt” are staying well away from denigrating any other belief system. This may be one reason why, so far, Islamic clergy and Islamic politicians haven't criticised the Zoroastrians openly.

As one local politician, Haji Karwan, an MP for the Islamic Union in Iraqi Kurdistan, tells NIQASH, he doesn't think that so many people have actually converted to Zoroastrianism anyway. He also thinks that those promoting the religion are few and far between. “But of course, people are free to choose whatever religion they want to practise,” Karwan told NIQASH. “Islam says there's no compulsion in religion.”

On the other hand, Karwan disagrees with the idea that any religion – let alone Zoroastrianism – is specifically “Kurdish” in nature. Religion came to humanity as a whole, not to any one specific ethnic group, he argues.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's neat.

15+ Year Old Account
    That's cool. Just hope it avoids the extremist element.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I am happy to see this ancient religion making any sort of strides.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

10+ Year Old Account
    As I recall, Zoroastrianism was one of the first religions to have an explicit good vs. evil narrative with one side absolute good and the other side absolute evil. Seems like that sort of philosophy makes it very easy to do bad things in service of "good" or in opposition to "evil."
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    That's cool. Just hope it avoids the extremist element.
    From my 5 minutes googling it, it seems to center on social positivity. It's seem relatively simple and peaceful.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    As I recall, Zoroastrianism was one of the first religions to have an explicit good vs. evil narrative with one side absolute good and the other side absolute evil. Seems like that sort of philosophy makes it very easy to do bad things in service of "good" or in opposition to "evil."
    Yeah... pretty much all of the greatest atrocities throughout history were committed by people who believed they were the good guy doing what they thought was for the betterment of humanity.

You could definitely make the argument that a lot of Christian morality is derived more from Zoroastrian ideas of duality than from anything found in the Hebrew Bible. I mean to this day there's still this widespread notion that God and the Devil are somehow equal and opposite forces which is nowhere to be found in scripture. It's definitely an interesting belief system though, what with its emphasis on tolerance and multiculturalism, as well as its opposition to slavery which was way ahead of its time. Zoroastrians - the first Social Justice Warriors.

7+ Year Old Account
    You are more thinking of Manichaeism, which was partly related to Zorastrianism but also borrowing a lot of Abrahamic mythos as well. Manichaeism is its own specific offshoot with a strong duelism and actually for a time was Christianities biggest theological threat.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Macaquerie View Post
    You could definitely make the argument that a lot of Christian morality is derived more from Zoroastrian ideas of duality than from anything found in the Hebrew Bible. I mean to this day there's still this widespread notion that God and the Devil are somehow equal and opposite forces which is nowhere to be found in scripture. It's definitely an interesting belief system though, what with its emphasis on tolerance and multiculturalism, as well as its opposition to slavery which was way ahead of its time. Zoroastrians - the first Social Justice Warriors.
    Manichaeism and Zoroastrianism had different responses to the theological problem of Evil when you have a God that is absolutely good, how do you explain the presence of evil. I.E. an omniscient, all powerful Good being allowing evil to exist is somewhat of a contradiction.

Neo-Platonism and Manichaeism both had their answers.
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Wooooo!
    It would be better if they had no religion at all, but Zoroastrianism is one of my least disliked religions. I hope they don't have that as another reason to get mass murdered though.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Zarathustra my ass !

You'd hope we could move forward to secularism and atheism. But I guess I'm glad they're reviving something which was overshadowed (euphemizing probably) by Islam.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsonsion View Post
    Wooooo!
    It would be better if they had no religion at all, but Zoroastrianism is one of my least disliked religions. I hope they don't have that as another reason to get mass murdered though.
    Maybe if they are not Muslim, Western powers would be more guilt tripped into helping them?

Quote Originally Posted by ranzino View Post
    Zarathustra my ass !

This guy followed it so I've always been favourable towards it

Logic: I HAZ NONE
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Good, I'm glad they're taking up the mantle of their tribal religion again. Reinvigorate those ancient customs and let it be a salve for those people.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

Nice, i can see them being big targets for terrorist attacks though as they have little love for any other religion, Look at the Yazidis and how hated they where by Daesh. But the Kurds should be fine as they have very large experience dealing with them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    You'd hope we could move forward to secularism and atheism. But I guess I'm glad they're reviving something which was overshadowed (euphemizing probably) by Islam.
    Secularism, yes. Atheism, no. We need to move away from these absolute beliefs, and move more toward an agnostic outlook.

Quote Originally Posted by Dryade View Post
    Secularism, yes. Atheism, no. We need to move away from these absolute beliefs, and move more toward an agnostic outlook.
    Basic definition says the former is about lacking belief in theism, the latter is lacking knowledge. We probably mean the same thing in practical terms when we say atheist/agnostic. I won't respond further because it seems like a large derailment.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dryade View Post
    .... and so the war began that would last 1000 years between the United Atheists and the League of Unionist Atheists and the Agnostic Consortium and the Consortium of Agnostics...... billions of lives were lost.