Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Doesn't it bother you...

...that nothing you do in SWTOR is canon anymore? No it's not a canon debate, it's just sad that no character development in TOR will go anywhere. Wouldn't it be so freakin' cool that in one of the new movies Luke going "Now there was this ONE Jedi, he kicked so much ass man" and such? I dunno...

7+ Year Old Account
    It may not be canon with the films but who cares? The way i see it SWTOR is like another universe entirely. So it is canon to the Old Republic universe. Why would you want it canon with the films anyways? Everything about the films has been ruined.

Not in the slightest. I never expected what happened in SWTOR to make it outside of SWTOR to begin with.

I was pretty sure that TOR was canon. They're going to Malachor V apparently in the cartoons.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

7+ Year Old Account
    To me the appeal is that its not canon. I don't want my character being compared to X person or X person saying how good/evil I was. I can understand some people wanting to have that influence on the star wars universe but not me

As a 70's generation kid, growing up on SW. The movies will always be cannon and all the rest is just frill. All those extra stories over the years were nice and some were very good but my heart wasn't broken when Disney changed what was cannon and what was not other than the films. I've always been OK with that. The most recent 3 not as much but thats another thread.

SWTOR I'm not worried about at all. (Cannon or not)

Now, If this game was what had come first and it set everything up (story, tone etc... The original content) and had always been cannon and then they went and made a movie and changed all kinds of crap to pull off a movie I might feel differently. I know I do for comics to movies and game to movies. I find myself not a big fan when it goes that direction for changes.

im more worried about EA releasing 20m stories every 60 days and no actual content

Deleted
    It's 30 days not 60
    Back on topic though. Never personally bothered me but then I have always separated the game in my mind from the movies

10+ Year Old Account
    Canon or not, what is happening in KotOR or ToR has little to no influence on the events shown in the movies. This story is set so far in the past that it matters little, just as the Battle a Carchemish is of little interest during the war against ISIS. They won't waste time in the movies to mention any of it. In the canon books, maybe, they could allude to the Infinite Empire or Revan, but that's it. Even then, that would not suddenly make all the KotOR universe canon.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    I was pretty sure that TOR was canon. They're going to Malachor V apparently in the cartoons.
    They are going to Malachor, not Malachor V. And that Malachor and the events that happened there could be very different from what we saw in KotOR. Already, it appears in the clips that Malachor is still a planet. It should be an asteroid field by now, as it was destroyed completely in the end of The Sith Lords.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

Never thought about it. I just enjoy SWTOR for being what it is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Technically it is canon. Thing is it's so far in the past, it's not going to be relevant to anything in the current Starwars movie run.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

it's part of the legends canon now, so it is canon in a BETTER story than the movies provide.

the movie canon is pure shit now, of the lowest order, so it can crash and burn for all i care. legends will always be better.

Our player characters in the game should not and are not canon. Certain elements in the game MAY be canon if they are referenced in the new canon sources. And if they for instance reference a planet in the game, the actual planet may be retcon vastly from what we knew about it.
    World of Warcraft: Level 60 Blood Elf Holy Paladin

Not at all. I find the TOR continuity and lore more compelling than the official.

I'm still mildly annoyed at the "canon" Revan, so I find the fact that SWTOR is basically sanctioned fanfiction to be a bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    I'm still mildly annoyed at the "canon" Revan, so I find the fact that SWTOR is basically sanctioned fanfiction to be a bonus.
    What about Revan has made it so popular? I never played the old KOTOR games but I have read the some of the novels where Revans mentioned in it. Seems cool but I notice a lot of people going ape shit about him not being cannon anymore.

(not saying that you are going ape shit. Just other crazed fans in general)

...speaking of SW novels if you like to read try the Darth Bane books. VERY VERY good books.
    Last edited by xuros; 2016-04-05 at 02:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by xuros View Post
    What about Revan has made it so popular? I never played the old KOTOR games but I have read the some of the novels where Revans mentioned in it. Seems cool but I notice a lot of people going ape shit about him not being cannon anymore.

...speaking of SW novels if you like to read try the Darth Bane books. VERY VERY good books.
    to your question? I'm honestly not sure. aside from Revan originally being a player character so you could pretty much roleplay them in a way you preferred (in my case, Revan was a light side female, but different people got to enjoy different things) and novel basically going - nope light-side male is the canon and that's that (and then of course Disney went ahead and said - nope, none of this is canon anymore). I mean... Revan is supposed to have actualy found balance in the force? having been both light and dark. I think. like I said, not sure. I played the original game and once you get past seriously janky combat mechanics - its fun. but.. I'm not usually into tie in novels /hides I do like to read though, in general :P so might check those out, thanks

Deleted
    With all the nods to the old republic we are getting in SW: Rebels I wonder whether they won't really try to retcon it back into the lore.

Look at the movies in Episode 4 and 7 people have pretty much forgotten about the Jedi and Sith. The universe is a huge place filled with many different things. Here on Earth people forget our own history all the time and this is one planet without inter galactic wars and other craziness to distract you.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xuros View Post

KotOR itself was a very popular and Revan is the player's character. It is a great story of redemption (if you're playing Light-side), betrayal and the sense of identity, it has a great plot twist and great side characters with interesting backstories (except maybe Juhani whom I found bland). The writers managed to keep the story interesting throughout the game. You don't know everything from the begining. You don't even know who you are. You find your mission later in game and you really know what this is all about late in game. Since the story is set in the far past, it reinvents the Star Wars universe while remaining faithful to it.

Canon or not, I love that story and universe and the fact it is not included in the movie continuity won't spoil my fun.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"