Deleted

Upgrading my PC. Suggestions and Tips welcome

Hi everyone,

I'm looking into upgrading my pc, something that I am generally hesitant on spending much money or time on, not a techie here. I generally just use my pc for gaming (EVE, WoW, Marvel Heroes, Skyrim) surfing, some Spotify and writing. I'm not sure if my PC is simply suffocating under the pressure -occasional freezes and laggy FPS- or I am poor with keeping it 'in shape'. Maybe both ^^ So I'd like some help with buying new parts if needed and how to safely install everything or if I should let someone else do it.

Here are my pc specs, which I bought in Feb 2009

Motherboard: MSI (Micro Star) MS-7360 (P35 Neo-F)
    RAM: 4 GB DDR PC2-6400 (2x2GB)
    CPU: Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor Q9400 (6M Cache, 2.66 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB)
    Storage: Western Digital WD Green WD6400AACS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive
    PSU: XFX PRO 550W Core Edition (Added in 2013)
    GPU: GeForce GTX 660 2GB (Added in 2013)
    OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Edition Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 64-bit

My brother said an SSD is a great upgrade and with around €250 budget I'm not sure what else to go for

PS: If you have retailer suggestions, I live in the Netherlands, Rotterdam area

Especially for WoW, you really need a new CPU/Motherboard/RAM. That CPU/Motherboard is so old it is only using DDR2 RAM. However, €250 is not a very large budget for that. Not sure what prices are like in your area, but you should probably look for an i3-6100 CPU, a B150 Motherboard and 8GB of DDR4 RAM. That's probably going to be right at or go over your budget and it's about the absolute minimum I would suggest for any PC that is going to be used for any type of gaming. You really should try to get an i5 though as dual core systems are not going to be able to keep up in the coming years, especially as DX12 is supposed to be able to make use of inactive CPU cores.

An SSD, while really nice to have, would not really increase in-game performance, only load times. With your budget though, it's hard to recommend adding one because you really should use your entire budget, and in fact try to expand it to include an i5, on CPU/Motherboard/RAM. You can always add an SSD in a few months though.

Best save more money, because you're buying a new PC.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmist View Post
    Best save more money, because you're buying a new PC.
    How much would a new PC cost that's a good upgrade from what I have now? I know the GPU I have isnt too bad and I am ok with not playing the latest AAA titles

Deleted
    All you really need is a new cpu/mobo/ram.

A i3 6100/H110 or B150 mobo/ DDR4 ram should cost about 250 euro's.

Ill parrot what was said above, new mobo/memory/cpu will get your PC running good.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor (€122.82 @ Mindfactory)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B150M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (€79.77 @ Mindfactory)
    Memory: G.Skill NT Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (€41.14 @ Mindfactory)
    Total: €243.73
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-30 22:07 CEST+0200

Deleted
    What others said for that money an i3 is the only option. If you were on the 350euro are you could have an i5 6600 in that.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor (€122.82 @ Mindfactory)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B150M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (€89.38 @ Mindfactory)
    Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (€36.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Total: €249.19
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-31 08:57 CEST+0200