A little advice on crafting jobs appreciated

Hello!

I've been mainly focused on leveling combat jobs for a while now and thought that I should be starting to take a look at the crafting and gathering jobs but I find the information hard to come by.

I'll most likely be maining a Machinist and Paladin & White Mage on the side.

Which crafting and gathering jobs should I focus on for my main job of Machinist? Which ones are useful for my side jobs of Paladin & White Mage?

I don't really care about crafting gear for myself or making a profit but I do want to be as self sufficient as possible when it comes to materia, various combat buffs and glamouring my gear.

You might want to become an omnicrafter/omnigatherer at some point if what you want is to be self-sufficient.

Materia

For melding your MCH you'll need WVR and LTW for body parts, GSM for accesories, and BSM for weapon. For your WHM you'll need exactly the same ones as MCH, bar BSM. For PLD, besides LTW, GSM, and BSM you'll need ARM for the remaining body parts.

Buffs

I suppose you are referring to food buffs, if so you'll want CUL.

Glamour

Same as with materia, so that'd be WVR, LTW, GSM, BSM, and ARM.
    Last edited by Duskypants; 2016-03-30 at 04:03 PM.

If you want to be self sufficient, meld your own materia, and glamour your own gear, as well as consider combat buffs, then Dusky is right. You've got to head down the path of leveling all the crafting and gathering jobs to 50 (for glamor and most melds) and to 60 for ALC for potion buffs, etc. Eventually you might as well get the rest to 60 if you've gone that far.

First bit of advice: Don't feel overwhelmed and don't get consumed by this task. It will consume your soul if you let it. Om nom nom nom delicious soul.

Second: Focus on gathering first. It goes a lot faster than you might expect. Check the gathering log to unlock everything in your level range.

I HIGHLY recommend using this site for leveling crafting/gathering: http://www.ffxivguild.com/

That will give you some tips on which leves to choose for the most bang for your buck. There are some leves that are worth just buying half a dozen HQ items from the market. I remember I had some I took in Limsa, teleport to Mor Dhona to turn in and the HQ turn in was 1/4 to 1/2 a level (this was in the high 40s). Spent about 200k gil and got 4 or 5 levels in 30 minutes. >_>

Now, server market will vary on that, but still.

Another good site is: http://www.ffxivcrafting.com/

That will let you make a list of what you want to craft and break down what you need to gather.

You can gather with botany and mining (and fishing, but I feel that's less useful) and use a DoM or DoW retainer to gather animal stuff (skins for leather, etc).

Also make sure you're looking at Timers > Grand Company for turn ins. If it's got a star next to it, take a look on the market board for a HQ item for the turn in. If it's not painfully expensive, it's worth doing that.

AAAAAAND the last tip, unlock the Ixal daily quests in North Shroud and utilize those for leveling. They help move things fast and some are fun little "crafting puzzles" with the restrictions they put on you (in the later ones, pick up the quests, but do the last step one at a time or you'll stack those restrictions).

Basically you will want to get all of the crafting jobs, minus maybe CUL. They all interconnect, and most combat jobs will equip items from several of them, and crafting jobs will take shoes from Carpenter or LTW, clothes from WVR or LTW, Various off hands and MHs from BSM and Alchemy mostly, and then rings and necks from GSM. With a few exceptions. And once you get to higher levels, you really need the gear to craft.
    []http://sig.lanjelin.com/img/tanro.png[/]

Quote Originally Posted by Playintrafic View Post
    Basically you will want to get all of the crafting jobs, minus maybe CUL. They all interconnect, and most combat jobs will equip items from several of them, and crafting jobs will take shoes from Carpenter or LTW, clothes from WVR or LTW, Various off hands and MHs from BSM and Alchemy mostly, and then rings and necks from GSM. With a few exceptions. And once you get to higher levels, you really need the gear to craft.
    When I was looking into the crafting system, this is kinda what I thought. It really seems like an all or none kinda thing, especially if your goal is remaining self-sufficient.

Ixal dailies. Every day.

Yikes, that's a lot of work. I better get to it then

Thx guys

Quote Originally Posted by Vidget View Post
    Yikes, that's a lot of work. I better get to it then

Thx guys
    It helps if you do the supply and provision quests, level quests, and the Ixal Dailies.

You can also get an item from the Grand COmpany that increases xp from synthesis for 2 hours. Just crafting materials nets a lot of xp, so I will usually use the item from the GC vendor (manual of engineering) and do the supply quests, levequests, and ixal quests, then just craft material to use up the rest of the buff.

Quote Originally Posted by Playintrafic View Post
    You can also get an item from the Grand COmpany that increases xp from synthesis for 2 hours.
    Oh thank you, that's very helpful!

Quote Originally Posted by Vidget View Post
    Oh thank you, that's very helpful!
    Its from the quartermaster, Something manual of engineering. Forget what its full name is. Gives you a 50% buff to xp from synthesis (not turn-ins) for 2 hours, or up to 20k bonus xp.