Poll: My annual salary is:

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    before or after 401(k)/retirement contributions?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wikko View Post
    It's just that the cost of living etc. is so different in each nation that the amount of money you make tells pretty much nothing. For example someone making 60 000 euros in Finland is probably quite similar than someone making 140k in USA
    It tells you nothing within the US, too. 140k in Kansas makes you wealthy. 140k in Washington DC makes you middle class, if your partner also works.
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikko View Post
    It's just that the cost of living etc. is so different in each nation that the amount of money you make tells pretty much nothing. For example someone making 60 000 euros in Finland is probably quite similar than someone making 140k in USA
    This isn't particularly close to true. Here's the comparison between the countries for cost of living. Rental costs in large cities are really the only thing that's more expensive in the USA relative to Finland.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    This isn't particularly close to true. Here's the comparison between the countries for cost of living. Rental costs in large cities are really the only thing that's more expensive in the USA relative to Finland.
    Meh. I had to make $150k in NYC to match my quality of life in Minnesota at about half the pay. To compensate, I lived in a studio apartment which was pretty much the place I slept, cleaned myself, changed clothes, and cooked frozen food.

Moving on, why not ask the reverse question? How much are you getting, beyond your income, from public services? I'm talking about roads, street lights, maintenance on water pipes, and so on. Add in private services also. I have a Comcast truck doing something with the cables outside. Then, last night, I saw 40 cop cars converge on a location.

Essential point: should I go pay them every time I see them? Or like, maybe it's better to pool up some money and do it that way?

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Enough to not care to tell people on the internet. Soon to be none for an unknown amount...serious surgery coming up...who knows, now I'm sad, I hate you
    Bleh

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Meh. I had to make $150k in NYC to match my quality of life in Minnesota at about half the pay. To compensate, I lived in a studio apartment which was pretty much the place I slept, cleaned myself, changed clothes, and cooked frozen food.
    Minnesota's a lot more representative of the United States as broadly conceived than NYC is though. For much of the country, NYC is like a weird, foreign land. Failing that, we can just use averages. Minnesota, including Minneapolis, is about the same as Finland for cost of living. It also has about the same amount of people as Finland and a much higher per capita GDP, FWIW.

I occasionally find it helpful to think of the Northern European countries in comparison to the frigid North of the United States - the size of the states/countries are comparable, the economic success is comparable, and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I occasionally find it helpful to think of the Northern European countries in comparison to the frigid North of the United States - the size of the states/countries are comparable, the economic success is comparable, and so on.
    And for some reason, most people from here come from Swedish and Norwegian immigrants. CRAZY.

Edit: And yeah, I just looked up the numbers. Minnesota has about the same population in about 3/4ths the land area. Other random facts: MN is the cold north in the US, but our main population center is south of Paris. Edit again: our ENTIRE population is south of Paris. Fuck, London is more north than all of the US.
    Last edited by belfpala; 2016-04-20 at 12:53 PM.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by Grishnaar View Post
    In Croatia? We're talking Adriatic Sea Croatia? Southern Europe?

Several thousand dollars for a week?

Do tell what are these places, lol, cause either your "fancy" is much different than my "fancy" or you got ripped off xD

I mean, even hotels with 4 stars cost like 50-60€ per night >_>

In Croatia.

And to tell you a story, my real estate agent's husband is from Croatia. He still has a thick accent. She says Croatia is still expensive to visit even though she stays with his relatives. This, from a woman who lives in a million dollar home, where most people's homes are $500K or less.

Now, I have a friend who went there about 15 years ago, and he said it was dirt cheap back then.

Quote Originally Posted by GarlicGuy View Post
    In Croatia.

And to tell you a story, my real estate agent's husband is from Croatia. He still has a thick accent. She says Croatia is still expensive to visit even though she stays with his relatives. This, from a woman who lives in a million dollar home, where most people's homes are $500K or less.

Now, I have a friend who went there about 15 years ago, and he said it was dirt cheap back then.
    Well, damn.

If I had like 2000 $ monthly paycheck, I could afford almost anything I need, within normal limits.

Man, if you ever want to go here again, let me know what you're looking for, perhaps I can save you some bucks lol. Well, that is if you're not looking for 5+ stars hotels and such xD

You can literally rent an apartment at sea, smaller kitchen, bed, bathroom and such for like 30$ per day. Easily. Even if it was 50, that's faaar less than what you're talking about xD