Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    If only there had been a good toddler with a meat cleaver to step in and help.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    *sigh*

Again, as Endus pointed out, these people are psychopaths. They don't view consequences with the same trepidation that we do. They don't necessarily even view themselves as perpetrating the crime, or their actions as criminal. The threat of death does not deter them.
    I do notice on crime channel that a good portion of these 'seriously mentally ill' killers cry like babies when caught which shows that they do have at least some self preservation instincts. I genuinely wonder if they are as fearless of death as you claim.

I also don't see the point in keeping them alive if they are actually completely fearless zombie killers. That's even more reason to kill them since they are past the point of rehabilitation.

Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    Ain't that the definition of a psychopath?
    Yes it is a part of it. That is what I try to say. I think I led you to think I'm pro execution, I am not. I was pointing out that execution would not make other psychos fear the consequences of their actions.

That is the most fucked up thing I heard today.

Deathmaster of Defilers of Arathor - Emerald Dream - US

Quote Originally Posted by The Penguin View Post

It is because I feel that such a sick person probably has no treatment available to make the above thing plausible
    Thus the society should hold responsibility for this crime as well as the person who committed the crime. Its ethically the right thing to do.
    About the money part of your argument, as I mentioned before, through a capitalistic view its actually more efficient to keep the criminal alive rather than executing him.

Quote Originally Posted by Drazail View Post
    Thus the society should hold responsibility for this crime as well as the person who committed the crime. Its ethically the right thing to do.
    About the money part of your argument, as I mentioned before, through a capitalistic view its actually more efficient to keep the criminal alive rather than executing him.
    Not saying that it's the right thing to do but it could be much much much cheaper to execute than keep him alive. Like someone said up there, an angry crowd was trying to get to him when the police tried to extract him from the police station. Giving him to the crowd costs almost nothing and the problem goes away. Again not saying I agree, but the money aspect is only valid if you assume that country will execute people the same way america does.

Quote Originally Posted by Zcion999 View Post
    Not saying that it's the right thing to do but it could be much much much cheaper to execute than keep him alive. Like someone said up there, an angry crowd was trying to get to him when the police tried to extract him from the police station. Giving him to the crowd costs almost nothing and the problem goes away. Again not saying I agree, but the money aspect is only valid if you assume that country will execute people the same way america does.
    You forgot all the money went into raising that guy, that's all wasted money in that case.
    Also even prisons are making money these days, so why shot down an income resource when you already invested in it?
    PS. I am against looking at problems this way ( taking money as the prime goal in everything.) But for the sake of argument we have to consider that.

You forgot all the money went into raising that guy, that's all wasted money in that case.
    Also even prisons are making money these days, so why shot down an income resource when you already invested in it?
    PS. I am against looking at problems this way ( taking money as the prime goal in everything.) But for the sake of argument we have to consider that.
    I can't argue with the second part about "for money prisons" but I would argue that the first part is a sunk cost fallacy. Someone broken like this can never again be trusted, might as well cut the loses now no ?

For someone to do this, how can we ever be sure that they will be eventually able to go back to being a productive member of society. They have shown that they are able to cross a line that is incredibly vile. We can't ever put that person back into society.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    Except that the US has the death penalty still, and it has a much higher crime rate in Japan. So you picked the best data point. Because the existence of any high crime countries with capital punishment effectively and logically show that Japan's low crime rate has fuck all to do with the death penalty, which is only applicable to multiple homicides anyway.
    yeah thats cos in america guns are legal i dnt think they are in japan, man theres prolly a gun section i nwallmart

Dude, Japan and China are different countries, besides japan ovbiously wants the american gun culture, just look at the otaku, and all the military anime and and and

Deathmaster of Defilers of Arathor - Emerald Dream - US

Quote Originally Posted by Zcion999 View Post
    I can't argue with the second part about "for money prisons" but I would argue that the first part is a sunk cost fallacy. Someone broken like this can never again be trusted, might as well cut the loses now no ?

For someone to do this, how can we ever be sure that they will be eventually able to go back to being a productive member of society. They have shown that they are able to cross a line that is incredibly vile. We can't ever put that person back into society.
    I always tend to believe every one deserve a second chance. Not to say drop him back into the streets at his current health. Take care of him, let him be productive in a controlled inviroment, and then decide if he can be left on his own and still be productive or should be kept under control. In both cases, its a win for the society.

I always tend to believe every one deserve a second chance. Not to say drop him back into the streets at his current health. Take care of him, let him be productive in a controlled inviroment, and then decide if he can be left on his own and still be productive or should be kept under control. In both cases, its a win for the society.
    I usually tend to give the benefit of the doubt and to give people second chances but the costs of such chances need to be weighted. The cost of recidivism in that individual's case is way to high to pay. I don't believe that we should ever ever let someone who crossed such a line back into the population even after 50 years of good behaviour. The price of failure is way to high.

Putting him to work in a correctional or health facility would probably be the best solution but it kind of amounts to slavery at that point.