Poll: Rape culture in the Western world?

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gib Lover View Post
    Well it isn't culture, that's for sure. We have a culture of shaming rapists, throwing them behind bars, many people call for their deaths after they are convicted (or even just accused.) If anything, we go too far by skipping over innocent until proven guilty in rape cases.
    Why is it a culture against rape, but not a culture of rape? I'm troubled by the way you see people against rape as an enemy.

10+ Year Old Account
    P.S. to those using the '1/5 college student is raped' narrative to prove rape culture:

http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/rsavcaf9513.pdf

College students are safer than non-college women, with both resting at less than 1% of the populations for completed rape (at 6.1/1000 and 7.6/1000 respectively)

The 1/5 narrative is based off speculations from this survey: https://www.aau.edu/uploadedFiles/AA...Misconduct.pdf

Which had a laughingly small pool of participants, and was conducted in only two universities, which cannot geographically be extended to the entire U.S.

Oh, and they included non-rape things as rape, something that the survey itself admits. In fact, half of their point do not meet the legal or social definition of rape, which the survey lists right under their questions.

Stop with the misinformation, it's tiresome.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostSkull View Post
    Is this a fact based on statistics or a self-serving mythology designed to ignore the problem?
    Well if you want a sample of third world rape culture. Our presidents pre-election trial for raping a HIV positive woman made him a national hero due to Zulu culture (the woman was later granted asylum in Europe).

I doubt the outcome would have been the same in western culture. You are just looking for a feminist cause that doesn't really exist in the west anymore.

In all seriousness though, rape is a natural phenomenon found in animals all over the world. Thank all that is right with the world that we developed a culture that seeks to punish and rid us of this animistic shit that has no place in our species future success. So whenever I hear about a rape culture, I think about how dolphins keeps a female from eating and sleeping so they will be willing, or how ducks have multiple vagina's so that the female ducks can choose when to be inseminated. Rape is a fucking natural crime that we as a species seek to rid ourselves of. People take accusations of rape seriously, and even our murders and thieves see those who dare touch the innocent as deserving of death once they are behind bars.

The western world has overcome religion's hold on the female body with it now being rape for a man to have unconsensual sex with his wife, yet we still berate ourselves as some sort of devils as our daughters are lured into ISIS. So please tell us of our Rape culture of multiple wives and child brides is what is ruining the world, oh wait that isn't the western world, we actually prosecute rape.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    P.S. to those using the '1/5 college student is raped' narrative to prove rape culture:

College students are safer than non-college women, with both resting at less than 1% of the populations for completed rape (at 6.1/1000 and 7.6/1000 respectively)

The 1/5 narrative is based off speculations from this survey: https://www.aau.edu/uploadedFiles/AA...Misconduct.pdf

Which had a laughingly small pool of participants, and was conducted in only two universities, which cannot geographically be extended to the entire U.S.

Oh, and they included non-rape things as rape, something that the survey itself admits. In fact, half of their point do not meet the legal or social definition of rape, which the survey lists right under their questions.

I really don't understand how feminists can still believe the 1 in 5 statistic. It's just so obviously, provably wrong.

It's like dealing with religious people and showing them proof of evolution, or historical evidence that contradicts the account of their chosen holy book.

They can be pretty rational in most other respects, and hold jobs and vote and live normally - but they just have this huge blind spot where no amount of evidence can convince them.

I completely understand why Dawkins had so many meltdowns dealing with the sheer level of stupid. It's so difficult to deal with.

Rape culture in western culture: a man spreads his legs a bit while sitting on the bus or train
    Rape culture in the rest of the world: women getting raped

*shrug* I'm told it was just me, but I know the environment I grew up in; and the jokes and general attitude towards sex and women throughout most of it. Of course if you label it rape, sexual assault, etc. everyone is going to condemn it. Well durr. Trouble is some people, and certainly a lot more than ever find themselves labelled a sexual asasulter or rapist, do find the lines "blurred" at various stages, because there wasn't an awful lot of discussion about the topic at the time.

Anyone ever heard the term EHAG or AHAG?

Things will be different in different parts of the Western world, and in different classes too. If you can honestly say you've lived your life with absolutely no evidence of any hand-waiving or downplaying of sexual assault against women you know; then I'm very happy for you Wish I could say the same, that's all.
    Last edited by AeneasBK; 2016-03-31 at 02:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Koenigstiger View Post
    from Wikipedia

Do you think such behaviour (ultimately culture) is prevalent in the Western world?
    In feminist theory, rape culture is a setting in which rape is pervasive and normalized due to societal attitudes about gender and sexuality.
    (...)
    There is evidence to suggest that rape culture is correlated with other social factors and behaviors. Rape myths, victim blaming, and trivialization of rape have been found to be positively correlated with racism, sexism, homophobia, ageism, classism, religious intolerance, and other forms of discrimination. Behaviors commonly associated with rape culture include victim blaming, sexual objectification, trivializing rape, denial of widespread rape, refusing to acknowledge the harm caused by some forms of sexual violence, or some combination of these

Funny, it's not the Western culture your quote is describing...

Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    If anything, we are currently one of the most anti-rape cultures in history.
    Once again I'm puzzled by the fact that people can perceive an anti-rape culture, but not a culture of rape. Surely that anti-rape culture stands in opposition to something.

Marxist theory of class war and exploitation is a narrative of persecution... The reason this "rape culture" narrative exists is... to get people to hate a group...has been used by the Nazis
    Do you see that you pretend that Marxist/Feminist theory is bad because it's about "persecution" and then talk about persecution. It's really about the basic human right to sexual autonomy. If you truly agreed that people have that right, you wouldn't try to pretend that rape still doesn't happen.

10+ Year Old Account
    I really don't understand how feminists can still believe the 1 in 5 statistic. It's just so obviously, provably wrong.

It's like dealing with religious people and showing them proof of evolution, or historical evidence that contradicts the account of their chosen holy book.

They can be pretty rational in most other respects, and hold jobs and vote and live normally - but they just have this huge blind spot where no amount of evidence can convince them.
    You answered yourself. It's like highly religious people and evolution, aka dogmatic beliefs. There's a reason why many people are saying that third wave Feminism is starting to resemble a cult, with 'believe what I say' attitudes being rampant.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dd614 View Post
    Rape culture in western culture: a man spreads his legs a bit while sitting on the bus or train
    Rape culture in the rest of the world: women getting raped
    Manspreading is a terrible offense because that would require you to just interact with the person, and politely ask him to move his legs together.

The absolute horror.

Feminazis are fucking nutjobs. People should get it into their thick skulls.

Deleted
    in feminists theory anything with a penis is a rapist and thats why feminists are pieces of shit cos there just blinded by hatred and most feminists you see are fat ugly whales anyway who no man would even want to rape or have any sexual encounter with

Deleted
    Once again I'm puzzled by the fact that people can perceive an anti-rape culture, but not a culture of rape. Surely that anti-rape culture stands in opposition to something.

Do you see that you pretend that Marxist/Feminist theory is bad because it's about "persecution" and then talk about persecution. It's really about the basic human right to sexual autonomy. If you truly agreed that people have that right, you wouldn't try to pretend that rape still doesn't happen.
    Never pretended that. As I said, rape does happen but it happens less now than ever before.

The rest of your response is gibberish, you sound like a cultist trying to misrepresent my position.

Use facts and data, and a logical argument, when making a point

Why is it a culture against rape, but not a culture of rape? I'm troubled by the way you see people against rape as an enemy.
    Don't attempt to twist my words to make me seem pro-rape. People skipping our judicial process and denying individuals their presumption of innocence should never be tolerated.

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post

I find the Bureau of Justice Statistics and the actual survey of campus sexual assault more convincing than your assertions that victims aren't numerous enough to care about, or your expectation that campuses cover the whole of the US. Especially when you tell us that sexual assaults are actually higher off-campus.

The rest of your response is gibberish, you sound like a cultist trying to misrepresent my position.
    He just did it to me too, he's trying to twist words and purposely misinterpret what people are saying.

Don't attempt to twist my words to make me seem pro-rape. People skipping our judicial process and denying individuals their presumption of innocence should never be tolerated.
    I don't think you're intentionally pro-rape, but your position is that rape isn't a real problem and those concerned with doing something about it are in the wrong. If you're not defending rapists, you're certainly attacking their opponents.

Deleted
    He just did it to me too, he's trying to twist words and purposely misinterpret what people are saying.
    Yep, he has no arguments and is just trying to misrepresent everyone

Sad thing is, people like that can't be convinced with facts / data / science, it just doesn't get through

15+ Year Old Account
    Rape culture lol. I laugh at all woman who think they're "oppressed" in a country like the United States of America. Guess the word oppression doesn't mean anything anymore.
    Facilis Descensus Averno

I'm not the one trying to pretend that people against rape have some sort of "Marxists" "persecution" complex like Nazis. You need to listen to yourself.