7+ Year Old Account

How big of an upgrade would this be?(For WoW performance)

In my current build I have:
    AMD A8-5600k @3.8GHz
    Radeon HD 6670 2GB
    8GB DDR3 RAM
    With these I get 35-45 FPS on the Fair preset with view distance on Ultra while going around Draenor
    I am going to be getting a new CPU in April, either the 4690k or 4790k(the i7 threads will be useful for other stuff), but their performance in wow should be more or less similar on the i5 and i7 from what I've seen(along with a Z97 MoBo)
    How will this affect my performance in WoW, since I know that wow is currently mostly CPU bound?
    Will I see a significant FPS boost from this upgrade, or just less raid lag?
    I am going to be upgrading my GPU too in the following months, but CPU and MoBo are first.

EDIT: WoW is also located on an SSD
    Last edited by Shadochi; 2016-03-31 at 04:08 PM.

You'll see a pretty good boost since WoW performance is still closely tied to IPC and intel IPC blows AMD out of the water. Anyreason for going with Haswell though? Seeing as you run AMD currently, you are going to need a new Motherboard anyway, you should consider an i5-6600k or i7-6700k, though you'll also need DDR4 RAM to go that route, but RAM is pretty cheap.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    You'll see a pretty good boost since WoW performance is still closely tied to IPC and intel IPC blows AMD out of the water. Anyreason for going with Haswell though? Seeing as you run AMD currently, you are going to need a new Motherboard anyway, you should consider an i5-6600k or i7-6700k, though you'll also need DDR4 RAM to go that route, but RAM is pretty cheap.
    Great to hear that
    I chose Haswell because I'm also having to change my PSU with this upgrade.
    If I decided to go the i5 route, I might switch to Skylake since 16GB of RAM is similar to the difference between the i5 and i7 prices where i live.
    Would there be any difference in WoW between the Haswell and coresponding Skylake?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadochi View Post
    Great to hear that
    I chose Haswell because I'm also having to change my PSU with this upgrade.
    If I decided to go the i5 route, I might switch to Skylake since 16GB of RAM is similar to the difference between the i5 and i7 prices where i live.
    Would there be any difference in WoW between the Haswell and coresponding Skylake?
    Not very large, maybe 5-10% increase in performance. The real reason though is that Haswell is on a dead socket/platform. There will be nothing more made for it. If in 2-4 years you have hardware failure outside of warranty, the Z97 boards will be harder to find and therefore replace and also likely more expensive since they are no longer being produces. Z107 Boards however will be in abundance and you could get a cheap replacement if needed.

7+ Year Old Account
    Not very large, maybe 5-10% increase in performance. The real reason though is that Haswell is on a dead socket/platform. There will be nothing more made for it. If in 2-4 years you have hardware failure outside of warranty, the Z97 boards will be harder to find and therefore replace and also likely more expensive since they are no longer being produces. Z107 Boards however will be in abundance and you could get a cheap replacement if needed.
    Alrighty, i5 6600k, z170 mobo abd 16GB DDR4 it is then
    Thanks for the help

- - - Updated - - -

After a bit more research on the prices:
    i5 4690k, z97 board and PSU = 440 Euros
    i7 4790k, z97 board and PSU = 540 Euros
    i5 6600k, z170 board, DDR4 ram, Cooler(Skylake K chips dont come with stock) and PSU = 640 Euros
    And seeing how the i7 combo is slightly over my current budget, that is probably what I'm gonna go with.
    The cooler will be changed from the stock later on tho to take advantage of the K chip.

Alrighty, i5 6600k, z170 mobo abd 16GB DDR4 it is then
    Thanks for the help

- - - Updated - - -

After a bit more research on the prices:
    i5 4690k, z97 board and PSU = 440 Euros
    i7 4790k, z97 board and PSU = 540 Euros
    i5 6600k, z170 board, DDR4 ram, Cooler(Skylake K chips dont come with stock) and PSU = 640 Euros
    And seeing how the i7 combo is slightly over my current budget, that is probably what I'm gonna go with.
    The cooler will be changed from the stock later on tho to take advantage of the K chip.
    i have the 6600k and its amazing. 6700k would be overkill for playing wow, by a mile. but youre better off investing in this chipset since it will be around longer, like someone else pointed out.

Be patient about the GPU upgrade. I will wait until AMD releases(may even be end of year) and won't jump into Nvidia Pascal.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by noladrew View Post
    i have the 6600k and its amazing. 6700k would be overkill for playing wow, by a mile. but youre better off investing in this chipset since it will be around longer, like someone else pointed out.
    The current issue isn't between the 6600k and the 6700k, its more between the i7 4790k, which is slightly over my budget, or the i5 6600k, which upgrade would be way over my budget and also have some worse performance for what else I'll be using it because of fewer threads.
    I only asked about wow since there is plenty of info on the other software I'll be using.

Quote Originally Posted by sabe View Post
    Be patient about the GPU upgrade. I will wait until AMD releases(may even be end of year) and won't jump into Nvidia Pascal.
    Yeah, for the GPU I'm already planning on waiting to see what both companies have in whats seems to be the "next generation" of GPUs(because of HBM2) and then decide what I can get with the money I collect by then, currently gonna wait till xmas at least, or when both Nvidia and AMD release new ones if its not before xmas

The current issue isn't between the 6600k and the 6700k, its more between the i7 4790k, which is slightly over my budget, or the i5 6600k, which upgrade would be way over my budget and also have some worse performance for what else I'll be using it because of fewer threads.
    I only asked about wow since there is plenty of info on the other software I'll be using.
    You've got that backwards. The i5-6600k will actually perform better than the i7-4790k. Games do not not care about more cores/threads. All that really matters is IPC and the 6600k has a lightly higher IPC due to being the current generation while the 4790k is last gen. It's not a huge differece really, but it's there. If 6600k is out of your budget, just go ahead with the 4690k as unless you are doing something that uses the additional cores/threads, like audio/video work or streaming or something, there will be no difference at all between the two.

Yeah, for the GPU I'm already planning on waiting to see what both companies have in whats seems to be the "next generation" of GPUs(because of HBM2) and then decide what I can get with the money I collect by then, currently gonna wait till xmas at least, or when both Nvidia and AMD release new ones if its not before xmas
    HBM2 is actually not ready. There was a thread about it recently and it does not look like the next gen will use HBM2. They may not even use HBM if they can not very quickly overcome the 4GB limitation. They will likely be using GDDR5X. HBM2 was not the main reason for the performance increases that will be coming with the next gen anyway.

7+ Year Old Account
    You've got that backwards. The i5-6600k will actually perform better than the i7-4790k. Games do not not care about more cores/threads. All that really matters is IPC and the 6600k has a lightly higher IPC due to being the current generation while the 4790k is last gen. It's not a huge differece really, but it's there. If 6600k is out of your budget, just go ahead with the 4690k as unless you are doing something that uses the additional cores/threads, like audio/video work or streaming or something, there will be no difference at all between the two.
    That right there is why I would be needing the extra threads actually, and the 4790k upgrade would still cost me less than a 6600k

That right there is why I would be needing the extra threads actually, and the 4790k upgrade would still cost me less than a 6600k
    Ah, well, you had not mentioned that in the OP, you were only asking about WoW performance. That being the case, you may want to look at a 5820K. The extra cores/threads will help you out.