Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    xkcd

The Oatmeal
    This could go on forever. So many good ones now. I'm particularly fond of:
    Extra Fabulous Comics
    Cyanide and Happiness
    Owl Turd

10+ Year Old Account
    I particularly appreciated Calvin and Hobbes because Waterson constantly pushed for comics to be an artistic medium where... well, the art mattered. He was an artist who was also funny. Not some guy that was funny that tried to put talking heads to his characters.

I mean come on. You never see stuff like this in the comics anymore. Some of his more complicated sunday strips could pass off as book illustrations.

“Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

I quite like Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal. On teh topic of contemporary stuff.

C+H was alays awesome though
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    I quite like Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal. On teh topic of contemporary stuff.

C+H was alays awesome though
    I feel like SMBC can get a little too long winded sometimes but a lot of his work is great

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    I mean come on. You never see stuff like this in the comics anymore. Some of his more complicated sunday strips could pass off as book illustrations
    The rise of the internet is probably to blame for that. Now you can just draw online for fun and take commissions from people who like your style. Or start a web comic and build your own fan base on your own schedule. There are plenty of good and amazing artists around they just have different opportunities and probably make better pay than newspaper comics.
    Last edited by Biotec; 2016-04-02 at 03:42 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Biotec View Post

The rise of the internet is probably to blame for that. Now you can just draw online for fun and take commissions from people who like your style. Or start a web comic and build your own fan base on your own schedule. There are plenty of good and amazing artists around they just have different opportunities and probably make better pay than newspaper comics.
    But even most comic strips these days still in the newspaper are quite simple; usually just talking head characters.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Fake, unfortunately. A timeless comic, and something papers should have re-runs of instead of Peanuts. The comics just haven't been the same since. Very talented as both an artist and creating characters and stories you actually care about.

Watterson did do some guest drawing for Stephen Pastis's Pearls Before Swine a couple years ago but I fear that is about as close to coming out of retirement he's going to get. The little girl talking about having more space to draw on is pretty funny if you're familiar with Watterson's take on what the Sunday comics should be.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-creator-o...com-1587545242