Deleted

Upgrading laptop need help

Ok so let me just start off by saying when it comes to hardware im a complete moron.

So, i am currently using 50% of my ram just from using chrome. and when i twitch stream i reach 95%-100% which aint good.
    obvious solution get more ram.

so to my issue i have no idea what kind of ram to buy.

i currently have 2 off theese in my memory slots

and this is what my speccy says they give.

so does anyone have an idea about what i should buy to get more memory?

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-...f31600c9s8grsl

Cheapest upgrade, just take one of your sticks out and put this in for 12gigs total.

Or:
    http://pcpartpicker.com/part/crucial...it102464bf160b

First one has less wasted memory, would be hard to sell laptop memory on used market since this stuff is so cheap nowadays lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-...f31600c9s8grsl

Cheapest upgrade, just take one of your sticks out and put this in for 12gigs total.

Or:
    http://pcpartpicker.com/part/crucial...it102464bf160b

First one has less wasted memory, would be hard to sell laptop memory on used market since this stuff is so cheap nowadays lol.
    So you think it's normal for Chrome and streaming to use up that much RAM and are just going to blindly recommend more RAM? Even just Chrome using 50% is really weird. I have Chrome(4 tabs), Firefox(3 tabs), Outlook and my company software all running right now and my total usage is only 2.5 GB.

@OP, it seems like you have something else going on. I'd be interested in seeing task manager while streaming and with Chrome open to see what exactly is using up all that RAM. I know a lot of people get 16GB in their systems nowadays, but it's really unnecessary TBH. 8GB RAM is really more than enough, so I think you must have something else weird going on.

Umm no? I am at 40% ram usage with only 4 chrome tabs open, nothing else. Plus chrome addons eat memory up to so him being at 5 with just chrome going isnt out of the realm of normalcy. 16 gigs is what people should be using today but 12 would suffice. Its cheap and easy to do, no reason not to suggest ram.

Umm no? I am at 40% ram usage with only 4 chrome tabs open, nothing else. Plus chrome addons eat memory up to so him being at 5 with just chrome going isnt out of the realm of normalcy. 16 gigs is what people should be using today but 12 would suffice. Its cheap and easy to do, no reason not to suggest ram.
    I just edited my post to reflect that I currently have Chrome with 4 tabs, Firefox with 3 tabs, Outlook and company software running and I am only using 2.4 GB RAM. Closing only Chrome drops that to 2 GB. So for me, Chrome with 4 tabs is only using about .4 GB.

Ya i dunno man different people use different programs in the background etc. I don't know why you are so determined this man does not buy ram, especially when its the cheapest its been in .....ever?

Is the OS a 32 bit or 64 bit?

Ya i dunno man different people use different programs in the background etc. I don't know why you are so determined this man does not buy ram, especially when its the cheapest its been in .....ever?
    I'm more concerned that there is something else wrong and would like to help him find the root of the problem and fix it instead of just slapping a band-aid on it. It sounds like some sort of memory leak, so buying new RAM, no matter how cheap, would just be a waste of money as a memory leak would just fill up the 12GB as well. Maybe you are ok with telling people to flush money down the toilet, but I am not.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    Is the OS a 32 bit or 64 bit?
    Seeing as Speccy sees 8GB of RAM and not just 4, it has to be 64-bit. Who still has a 32-bit OS nowadays anyway?

if there is some weird software in the background causing them to use 100% ram and we don't know about it, telling them to buy 4gb more ram could end up in a mystery programme eating up that 4gb as well, solving nothing

attempting to fully diagnose the situation before prescribing solutions is good practice!

There isn't a problem though guys...

Open up 10 tabs of chrome (higher end of reasonable), download OBS, start a game up and stream it. I bet you at least 6-7 gigs is being taken up, who knows what other programs are running in the background. For me i got 6 things in the system tray but ive seen people with 15-20 things going on in there. Memory leaks go away when you restart your PC, assuming thats what is his problem would insinuate he never restarts his PC.

In my eyes you jump on the ram first simply because its so dam cheap right now, look what happend a few years ago to HDD prices just cause of one flooded (or was it a fire?) plant. You couldn't buy a 500gb hdd for less than 150-200 bucks lol.

Buy the ram, if you still have issues go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    I'm more concerned that there is something else wrong and would like to help him find the root of the problem and fix it instead of just slapping a band-aid on it. It sounds like some sort of memory leak, so buying new RAM, no matter how cheap, would just be a waste of money as a memory leak would just fill up the 12GB as well. Maybe you are ok with telling people to flush money down the toilet, but I am not.

- - - Updated - - -

Seeing as Speccy sees 8GB of RAM and not just 4, it has to be 64-bit. Who still has a 32-bit OS nowadays anyway?
    Yeah... Opps. Looked at it wrong. You'd be surprised at the number of 32 bit OS out there still.

There isn't a problem though guys...

Open up 10 tabs of chrome (higher end of reasonable), download OBS, start a game up and stream it. I bet you at least 6-7 gigs is being taken up, who knows what other programs are running in the background. For me i got 6 things in the system tray but ive seen people with 15-20 things going on in there. Memory leaks go away when you restart your PC, assuming thats what is his problem would insinuate he never restarts his PC.

In my eyes you jump on the ram first simply because its so dam cheap right now, look what happend a few years ago to HDD prices just cause of one flooded (or was it a fire?) plant. You couldn't buy a 500gb hdd for less than 150-200 bucks lol.

Buy the ram, if you still have issues go from there.
    Why not just take a quick look at task manager like I requested and see what exactly is using the RAM. It takes all of 30 seconds. It seems abnormally high to me and it's a quick check that could save spending any money. Why are you so quick to dismiss that there could easily be a problem and just tell someone to spend money? I guess it's easy to spend other people money rather than take 30 seconds to see if there is a deeper issue.

also not a guy thanks

Deleted
    So you think it's normal for Chrome and streaming to use up that much RAM and are just going to blindly recommend more RAM? Even just Chrome using 50% is really weird. I have Chrome(4 tabs), Firefox(3 tabs), Outlook and my company software all running right now and my total usage is only 2.5 GB.

@OP, it seems like you have something else going on. I'd be interested in seeing task manager while streaming and with Chrome open to see what exactly is using up all that RAM. I know a lot of people get 16GB in their systems nowadays, but it's really unnecessary TBH. 8GB RAM is really more than enough, so I think you must have something else weird going on.

here is how it looks on a good day

it seems to be the system thats the culprit but isnt it just windows tho?
    Last edited by mmoce9a77ae127; 2016-04-03 at 06:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Venedia View Post

here is how it looks on a good day

it seems to be the system thats the culprit but isnt it just windows tho?
    I really do not see anything wrong at all. You're only using 67% of your memory with multiple tabs, a game, OBS and Skype running. What seems to be the problem?

Deleted
    I really do not see anything wrong at all. You're only using 67% of your memory with multiple tabs, a game, OBS and Skype running. What seems to be the problem?
    i couldnt replicate it but sometimes it goes to 95-100% on the same things

Quote Originally Posted by Venedia View Post
    i couldnt replicate it but sometimes it goes to 95-100% on the same things
    and is that affecting your performance? When it does so, do you start lagging or anything? When it does it again, try to see what it is using the memory from task manager as well, but if it not affecting your performance, it is nothing to be worried about.

Deleted
    and is that affecting your performance? When it does so, do you start lagging or anything? When it does it again, try to see what it is using the memory from task manager as well, but if it not affecting your performance, it is nothing to be worried about.
    there isnt anything else on the taskmanager, it just uses more the OBS usually uses about 1.5 GB dunno why it was so low.

i dont lag, but the stream does