Page 1 of 2
LastLast

i have to put my dog to 'sleep' :(

I realize this place is for fun, interesting topics but... i just feel so bad, and dont frequent any other social websites. I just.. i dont know. i needed to get this out?

my dog has been sick for a little over a year. she had a condition called auto immune hemolytic anemia, which required several blood transfusions to save her. it took many months of high powered drugs, from march to november. november was her last pill and she was back to herself and finally drug free. then she relapsed 3 days after christmas. again with the transfusions and drugs.

she stabilized again and we were hopeful, deciding early on she was just going to be one that needed drugs for a lifetime. she started playing again and her disease was well controlled. Then i woke up one morning and felt the lymph nodes in her neck were swollen.

I tried to have hope but i knew it was cancer. Vet appointment only confirmed it.
    because of her history with Prednisone she wasnt even eligible for chemo. i dont know that i would have done it, but not even having that choice really upsets me. there was just nothing at all i could try this time. prednisone makes them highly resistant to chemo.

this was a few weeks ago and the time has already come that i need to let her be at peace. the nodes are now making it too difficult to breath, and i wont let her suffer. I have been a mess the entire time and she isn't even gone yet and i am so scared to face her death once it happens. i am sure the drugs gave her cancer, or rather, opened her up to it and i feel a lot of guilt but i still know she would have died a year ago without them. the year we had was a blessing and i was thankful she was with us still everyday. still, the thought that after all that the cure to one disease gave her another with absolutely no hope of survival kills me.

Last edited by Alyajna; 2016-04-02 at 07:22 AM. Reason: added my favorite photo

10+ Year Old Account
    i'm still waiting for my dog honor to wake up from his sleep....i know how it feels.
    is it a poodle i like poodles.
    Last edited by breadisfunny; 2016-04-02 at 07:00 AM.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Deleted
    that avatar and signature go very well with your post OP

I'm sorry for your loss *hugs*
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Deleted
    Nothing can be said, I'm sorry for you. Have the consolation that she is not in pain anymore. You, on the other side... But you'll get better, she would not.

It was the right decision, letting her suffer would have been egoistical and would only have caused more suffering. When we had to do it with our dog it was a similar situation, it was like losing a member of the family.
    Last edited by mmoc1f5879385d; 2016-04-02 at 07:07 AM. Reason: I wanted to add more.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    I'm doing that this weekend. My older doberman has a spinal problem (Wobbler Syndrome) and he's degraded pretty bad from it. We decided on this weekend. I feel you so much right now.

It's a tragedy that dogs don't live as long as humans, for sure, but one all of us dog owners have to deal with at some point in our lives.

Mine as well, also cancer. I just had to come to terms with the fact that my dog was in terrible, incurable pain and forcing her to stick around was being selfish. The poor thing could barely walk before I finally gave in and we took her to be euthanized. It's never easy.

Just appreciate the time you've had together. That's all any of us can do when confronted with this grim fact of life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

15+ Year Old Account
    Not much to say. Losing a pet sucks, and none of us is going to say something that let's you skip the usual stages of coping.

Sorry for your loss.

Had gone through something similar myself (family's English Mastiff). I would not wish this scenario on my worse enemies.

So long as you know she lived happily under your care, that's what matters the most.

15+ Year Old Account
    this movie always gets to me

even the sadder the father of this girl who voiced the girl in this was murdered by her father at age 10. RIP Judith Barsi

Last edited by Khadgar; 2016-04-02 at 07:29 AM.

Thank you everyone. It is almost impossible to remember others have & are also going through this. The feeling of loneliness is difficult..

No, she is not a poodle... she is a cat in a 70lb pit bull body. Sweetest thing ever and acts exactly like a cat, even the way she stretches. We rescued her from abusive neighbors about 5 years ago. It feels like much longer. Not long enough.

I am so sorry. It's been nearly two years since I lost my fella - he watched me grow from a newbie "adult" into an actual adult. It was colon cancer for him.

She's been lucky to have you as her human.

Have a /hug
    "Bananas, like people, sometimes look different when they are naked." Grace Helbig

Herald of the Titans Zenotetsuken's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Sorry to hear that, I know that losing a being that you are so close to hurts so deeply that it feels like everything you are is being ripped out of you. Just try to hold on to knowing that putting her to sleep is you showing her that you love her so much that you can't stand by while she spends the rest of her life in agonizing pain that she could never stop.
    The pain of losing her will ease, and in time you will be ok, I know that it just doesn't feel that way right now.

Well that sucks

All the best, OP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

I work with a Vet and I can empathize with you, it's always so awful when I have a client come in for the last time.

All you can really do is re-assure yourself that you're doing it for their sake (which when it comes to cancerous nodes is the sad truth) and see them off remembering that you gave them the best, most love-filled life possible.

Deleted
    Very sorry about your loss,

What's her name ?

Damn, that really, REALLY sucks...

Best of luck to you OP, this is one of those decisions no one wants to make, but has to.

It's like losing a family member.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    My family had to do this twice a couple years ago. The first one was planned, as Daisy was by that point an old lady who could barely walk let alone stand up due to her back leg joints going bad due to genetic reasons (She was half great dane half black lab). I got to say goodbye to her. I had her for most of of my childhood and she was MY dog.

The other was not planned. Our other dog, Boo, a little Cocker Mix was put down by my parents one day while I was at work one day because her Kidneys suddenly failed due to lifelong condition we thought was under control. Their choices were either spend a ton of money and keep her alive and possibly in pain, or end it. They chose to end it and waited till I returned home that day to tell me what happened. I didn't get to say goodbye and it hurt. She was the sweetest dog I ever met (Seriously, she was blind or at least nearly and you'd never know it. You could sneak up on her, pick her up and and she'd just look at you like "Where we going? She never growled or barked and wasn't afraid of anything) and she was suddenly taken away. Be glad you have the chance to say goodbye. It's hard to say, but it's better then never getting to say it.
    Last edited by Time Sage; 2016-04-02 at 08:12 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The hardest thing you'll ever do is putting her down, but please know that you are doing the kindest, most loving thing you can do. You are releasing her from endless pain and suffering. I had to put down my German Shepherd, Ajax, years back, and it was the hardest thing I ever did. Someone had poisoned him and the poison caused extensive damage to his central nervous system. It was so hard, but he was suffering so much.

If she could speak in human words, she would thank you. I promise you, she forgives you.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama