Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    It depends on the player tbh, if hes a good player, and such, 1-2 weeks. If hes slow to learn or socially awkward its going to be longer, you need to know whether hes a good fit or not. But on the topic of trials not receiving loot, I thought people stopped doing that like in cata.
    This isn't the same company. They are not in touch with the playerbase, they are hellbent on profit, and yea companies deserve profit, but not at the cost of the health of the game, and they became their own worst enemy. WoW was special not because of vanilla, bc, or wrath. No nostalgia here. It was special because of Blizzards involvement with the community, which is all but lost now. They changed everything into the least possible communication with the community.

10+ Year Old Account
    If its been over a month and still nothing, they may not be 100% sure about you. When I was newer to Mythic(or Heroic) raiding, I was trialed for over a month in one guild. The guild I'm in now accepted me after the second week. Depends on the guild and what they think of you so far.

Our minimal trial time is two months but our apps due tend to get gear. However, they are not the priority as apps are as stable as the wind. If your guild is doing progression, I don't know how much gear I would invest in you either. It could be wasted.

There's obviously a balance because we do know apps are human and need some form of recognition with regards to gear or raid time but the guild's progress is more important than any one individual app's happiness. It's a team game, sometimes being a teamplayer is gonna leave you dry for awhile. Decide if that's worth it to you or not.

Personally, any guild that isn't a 1 or 2 night guild that's still doing progression probably needs to reevaluate how they handle apps and their gear because turnover is a real thing. And gear dumping when players are under performing or being mediocre probably isn't the best way to ensure a kill and or the guild's survival.

I'd probably leave.
    Last edited by Pariah; 2016-04-03 at 05:30 PM.

Xpariah
    , Protection Warrior
    Xdh, Vengeance Demon Hunter
    Reckoning, Usually Recruiting
    YouTube & Twitch, Warrior & DH Tank PoV

I think it depends on the roll, i know as a tank it's pretty obvious really early on if you're going to be a fit or not, whereas with dps and healers it can take a little longer.

my trials have never been longer than 1-2 resets but i've seen players beeing trials for up to 4-5 resets.

There's a lot of variables here. Are you showing up every raid day on time prepared? Looking up boss fights before you do them? Basically doing your due diligence as a raider? Then they should be throwing you a bone here and there, even if the trial is 4 weeks. But if you're not doing those things, or if you complain a good bit about gear, they could just be leaving you hanging, hoping you'll get the clue and leave on your own. So either you're doing everything you should, and they're not, or you're being a bad raider and they're too lazy to boot you themselves. Either way, I don't think your thinking and your guild's thinking align, and it might be best to look elsewhere.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cFortyfive View Post
    Not sure how I can be more clear but it often enough happens to end up that way because it's hard discern whether or not the player will end up with a spot on the progression roster given that the roster is healthy obviously. Not saying though it isn't the "nice" thing to do.

Our latest trial had his first seeds a month after being already made a member in an alt raid. Void fiends sometimes die before they can jump twice. Bosses are falling over without the need to play the mechanics. Other adds just die from procs, a dot and a little cleave. Can't even check reliability when all you have is two or three hours of raid.
    You almost need to do an alt run that reintroduces some progression. But here's the thing - YOU decided to recruit. YOU decided to invite the trial. Why do that if you can't make a decision for months regardless of the reason? Why do that if you won't /ginvite? Finally, keep in mind that really good raiders are also evaluating you. Sure, if you're a top guild you don't care about that but if you're 13/13M but rank 1400 US or something then it's also on you to show you're a place where that raider wants to be.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by IxilaFA View Post
    Farm, especially end of expansion farm, is a terrible way to judge new applicants. The most important qualities of a good raider is how well they adapt to new strategies and how quickly they can learn a fight..
    I don't disagree necessarily but if you feel farm really is useless then don't waste an applicant's time trialing then in farm content. Same thing I said to cFortyFive... you've decided to recruit, so it's on you to figure out how to evaluate someone. If all you have is farm content and you massively overgear it (i.e. you're not just on farm but have been there awhile and geared everyone up) then you can either bring under geared alts to artificially hike the difficulty or you can simply not recruit right now. But recruiting then complaining you can't evaluate people well kind of shows crappy planning on your part.
    Last edited by clevin; 2016-04-03 at 06:05 PM.

Deleted
    My Trial with my current guild was around 2 weeks.

I think a trial period should be between 2 and 4 weeks. My current guild just has two weeks trials. But imo it depends on the specific person and how many raids they have been in.

Quote Originally Posted by lanana View Post
    Pretty much this.
    Besides, if a guild see's potential and they are desperate for your class they'll give you all the loot you need.
    Get lucky with your bonus rolls.
    This..

We didn't always have the rule with loot for raiders over trialist, but doing SoO, we had a DK, which we funneled some gear to, and right after he got fully geared, the fucking son of a fugly whore left.. so now we don't give to recruits unless all raiders has it.

But when you suddenly lose a raider, and need to get that specific class again asap.. then you just pick someone with low gear but you know, know how to play, and funnel shit to them.
    Last edited by Quibble; 2016-04-03 at 07:07 PM.
    "Everything always changes. The best plan lasts until the first arrow leaves the bow." - Matrim Cauthon

Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    YBut here's the thing - YOU decided to recruit. YOU decided to invite the trial.
    Yopp and I have zero issues with cycling through trials till something suitable is found. And I am not rank 1400 so I basically agree any guild that just finished now is probably fine with getting a recruit who's able to breath without the raidlead reminding them. I don't get where the wasting time component comes in since I have yet to hear from a decent guild that just guarantees progression spots on a whim and there is always some sort of hierarchy even if everyone shares the same rank. We might need trials in the long run but we don't need >that< trial.
    Last edited by cFortyfive; 2016-04-03 at 06:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    You almost need to do an alt run that reintroduces some progression. But here's the thing - YOU decided to recruit. YOU decided to invite the trial. Why do that if you can't make a decision for months regardless of the reason? Why do that if you won't /ginvite? Finally, keep in mind that really good raiders are also evaluating you. Sure, if you're a top guild you don't care about that but if you're 13/13M but rank 1400 US or something then it's also on you to show you're a place where that raider wants to be.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't disagree necessarily but if you feel farm really is useless then don't waste an applicant's time trialing then in farm content. Same thing I said to cFortyFive... you've decided to recruit, so it's on you to figure out how to evaluate someone. If all you have is farm content and you massively overgear it (i.e. you're not just on farm but have been there awhile and geared everyone up) then you can either bring under geared alts to artificially hike the difficulty or you can simply not recruit right now. But recruiting then complaining you can't evaluate people well kind of shows crappy planning on your part.
    You admitted yourself you've never really been in a progression guild at a high level...why do you continue to comment on threads like these? It's obvious from your responses that you have no idea how high end guilds work.

You recruit during farm because despite being done with content you probably still have roster spots to fill. Now I don't agree with others here on the not promoting apps on farm content but I do agree that it can take more time to evaluate a trials capabilities when you are only doing farm content. You would be surprised at the number of people who look impressive on farm bosses but then start to suck it up on progression. We apped someone recently who had amazing logs on the easy farm bosses but once we got to xhul/Manny they couldn't get out of fire worth a damn and wiped us several times.

Nobody here is "complaining" that we can't evaluate well. We are stating a fact. Anyone who is brand new to a guild that has the entire instance on farm is going to get carried in one way or another for awhile. It's not leading a trial on to say we just haven't had a chance to see their strengths yet. If anything, trials should appreciate that a guild which is clearing the instance in 4 hours is willing to let someone come in, collect free gear and achievements, and have an almost guaranteed spot come next expansion. That kind of opportunity is impossible to find in the middle of progression.
    Ixila of Forgotten Aspects - US Hyjal 13/13 Mythic Hellfire Citadel
    My YouTube kill vids!
    Ixila - Holy Paladin - Armory | Ixtide - Resto Shaman - Armory

Quote Originally Posted by Chitika View Post
    Easy, pick a guild that doesn't do DKP, Lootcouncil or whatever but instead go with Personal Loot. It's really less stressful for everyone.

The best part is when they kick you becasue they have deliberately left you behind on gear and now complain that you are doing to little damage or whatever it is you do.
    Good luck finding any guilds that monkey around with trial membership and don't seem to care about loot at all.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by cFortyfive View Post
    Yopp and I have zero issues with cycling through trials till something suitable is found. And I am not rank 1400 so I basically agree any guild that just finished now is probably fine with getting a recruit who's able to breath without the raidlead reminding them. I don't get where the wasting time component comes in since I have yet to hear from a decent guild that just guarantees progression spots on a whim and there is always some sort of hierarchy even if everyone shares the same rank. We might need trials in the long run but we don't need >that< trial.
    I agree with this and to add onto this, what exactly are you wasting as a trial by a guild not accepting you right away? When all the guilds are progressing and there's a mad rush to gear up I can see the feeling of quickly falling behind, but at this point we have months left with no end in sight for HFC. If your argument is that a guild is wasting your time by not giving you a progression spot right away and maybe not giving you gear, when you're still getting experience and seeing all of the fights, you're not wasting any time. In fact that makes it easier to get into other guilds even if your app is denied at the start of the next expansion. "Oh yeah I raided with Top Guild X for five months clearing HFC in three hours every week." Looks good on any applicants form, if you can smooth over the fact that you ultimately were never accepted into the guild.
    Ixila of Forgotten Aspects - US Hyjal 13/13 Mythic Hellfire Citadel
    My YouTube kill vids!
    Ixila - Holy Paladin - Armory | Ixtide - Resto Shaman - Armory

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeilon View Post
    I think you have little to no respect to others people free time.
    Our recruits have sought us out and filled out an application in which they've indicated they want to be here long-term. They're advised of the trial period and what to expect. They ultimately decide to join. If someone is horrible enough that we have to get rid of them after 2 weeks, so as not to waste anyone's free time, then I'd have to question our application process to begin with.

A lot of guilds certainly enter into recruitment with a "what can you do for us" attitude, and unsurprisingly a lot of those guilds are miserable to be in. If they barely think of you as a real person while you're being recruited, then it's likely it'll be months before they start to think of you as one even after you've joined, and more than likely have strong internal cliques.

Ideally, the guild is meeting you in the middle somewhere, and giving some basic consideration to the fact that even as a recruit you're offering your time and effort to them, and making it somehow worth your while to be there--especially if they want to trial you for a month or more.

It's just a cultural thing. You should offer respect to everybody dealing with your guild until they explicitly lose it; it shouldn't be reserved only for those who have gone through some arbitrary process of earning it.

My personal experience as on officer with my previous guild was we had a very lax 2 week trial period mostly because we were desperate for players that could keep us going (we were a late night guild raiding 1a-4a EST). However we finished US 33rd (from US 219 in BRF) and started receiving much better recruits and we extended the trial period to 3-4+ weeks since we wanted to improve for Legion and push for top 20 and wanted the chance to really see how someone fits in with the guild before promoting them.

There was 1 trial in particular that we let go one way too long since he was a cool person and everyone liked him well enough but he was really inconsistent in his competency with mechanics. The problem was he showed flashes that he could be a strong player if he just picked up his awareness. We should have passed or failed him within 4-6 weeks but let it drag far too long. I think he was at 8 or 9 weeks when the guild broke up due to other issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Dvorjak View Post
    The only reason I play this game is for raiding and the loot.
    Oh kid I would boot you so hard from my guild you have no idea.

Deleted
    Our guild has no trial limit, I think it just depends on the individual player.

We get some recruits who may do lower DPS when they first join, may die to a few things here and there. That's expected. Hell, I think all new recruits perform worse when they first join a new guild because they've got to adapt to playing with a brand new group. But if they show obvious improvement as time goes on, I think they're keepers. So a trial in our guild could range from 2 weeks to 3 months. New people rarely fail trials unless they show absolutely no sign of improvement since they joined.

I think a big part of it is attitude (and attendance). If a new player has a good attitude then officers are more likely to keep them around even if they're underperforming at first. We're a raiding guild but we put a lot of value on how well a new player can mesh with the rest of the group as well (and we're a varied bunch from all over with all different ages and personalities).

Gear can be fixed. Performance can be fixed, if they have a good attitude and are willing to take feedback on board. Some players learn faster than others too. We're all different. It's not about joining a guild and instantly being a rockstar (though if you can do that, good on you). It's about becoming a useful part of the team. Like when you apply for a real job and you don't know the job or all the people at first, even if you were qualified enough to land the job. You still need 'training' and you still need time to get to know the rest of the team.

Plus a trial period goes both ways - the guild will see if the new trial is a good fit, but the new trial will also find out if they're happy or not in the guild.

It may be different in very hardcore/high end guilds though. My guild raids 3 days a week and our progress is a bit slower - we're 13/13 but only for the last month or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Kakera View Post
    Oh kid I would boot you so hard from my guild you have no idea.
    Don't kid yourself. If you are raiding, you are raiding to "raid", which encompasses getting loot so you can raid more competitively and progress. Even if you don't admit it you are raiding for the same reasons as everyone else. Raiding to raid. What does that mean? You raid for the sense of teamwork, to socialize, to experience WoW, to kill bosses, to have fun, to be competitive, etc. That is what I mean by, "I play this game to raid". Loot is a distant last, but still something we all desire. Don't misconstrue what I wrote. Ask and don't assume. You look like a child.

Personally, i just started a trial in a mythic guild that has less exp than i and less kills that says ill be trial for 2 weeks, i dont really expect loot and im ok with that. More than 3 weeks on the other hand