Tanking has ruined this game and the thick headed view that forces the tank meta.

So,

There are very very very few raid prepped, knowledgeable tanks in this game. The ones who know the fights are already wrapped up in their own little guild runs.

At any given time, with the lower population there are MAYBE 2-3 tanks available in group/raid finder. By forcing this tank meta, bioware is eliminating the pve aspect of this game. Why would they not allow us to use companions in raid finder as tanks? Why force that old beat down MMO meta that you design raids around tanks the most rarest role in the game?

When someone bites the bullet and rolls tank spec they are nailed to a cross if they F'up one boss pull.

This is NOT an indepth MMO, it would be nice to take the arcade like feel Warzones have and allow us to logon for a few hours and run a raid in raid finder instead of hanging on to this maint mode travesty.

On the other hand if you're a good tank people will suck you off. Go tank and getcher gobbies
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Imagine all the nightmares of every moron out there trying to companion tank Ops.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rolex Snob View Post
    When someone bites the bullet and rolls tank spec they are nailed to a cross if they F'up one boss pull.
    This is how tanking works in every game with a tank. Something people should consider when tanking and when they aren't. Dps always has a much larger allowed margin of error, healers can normally get away with a few hiccups here and there too. If a tank isn't very good or has a bad moment here and there people die and you wipe.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    SNIP....

This is how tanking works in every game with a tank. Something people should consider when tanking and when they aren't. Dps always has a much larger allowed margin of error, healers can normally get away with a few hiccups here and there too. If a tank isn't very good or has a bad moment here and there people die and you wipe.
    I'm actually starting to think that it's not just tanks that get scrutiny. It seems these days DPS and healers are falling more and more into the same pit. If you're not pulling the DPS or keeping people topped off (with no care for overhealing) then they too get kicked or put down.

While I don't think it's ever been great in the sense of everyone working together peacefully. I do think the days are long gone of being tolerant of new players. However, I see it as a 2 fold problem.

Old players don't seem to want to deal with new players learning a fight.
    New players don't really want to put in the effort to learn a new fight except on the fly as they wipe the group. Rarely do I see a new tank that has read the strats then came to the raid.

It is tanks that usually get the first punch because they are the front line but healers and DPS are right behind them if their not pulling their weight.

Deleted
    So, you have noticed that most players are stupid, worthless shits who don't have a clue of their class, spec or role -- or even basic gameplay in general ("don't stand in bad stuff!") -- and those who know their stuff are valued assets in guilds. Surprised?

That's one reason why my every JK/SW is a Guardian/Jugg instead of a worthless Sent/Mara: I can take charge and get shit done properly. And it's also the reason why I regret choosing Commando instead of Vanguard on my trooper... never again.

But the main problem is that the group finder feature in Swtor is not cross-server like it is on WoW; you need to rely on your current server's population alone. That means that especially PvP and RP servers get screwed, because their population is generally even more clueless than average.

You can never truly value a good tank until you try tanking yourself. And you'll also notice that especially Sents/Maras are a huge pain in the tank's ass, because 99% of them are absolute retards -- as are any people who don't know how to use their knockbacks properly: once you have managed to gather those half a dozen ranged mobs neatly in one spot for cleaving and AoE, some helpful idiot runs in, and bam, the mobs are spread all over the room again. Overambitious healers who aren't smart enough to understand that healing generates threat can also easily easily ruin your attempts of a proper LoS pull. That's why I tend to take a nazi commander attitude while tanking: "Stand where I tell you to stand for the pull or get kicked, you worthless dirtbags!"
    Last edited by mmocf7a456daa4; 2016-04-19 at 10:38 PM.

Out of all the games I tanked, Wildstar and SWTOR are two of the MMOs that put too much emphasis on tanks for a successful run. While wildstar meta evolved into the whole tanks carrying 2-3 interrupts while DPS jerks off, this game has Tanks dealings with most of the intricate mechanics in fights. That said, being a good player is not limited to class/role you play.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaanuJaanu View Post
    Out of all the games I tanked, Wildstar and SWTOR are two of the MMOs that put too much emphasis on tanks for a successful run.
    Ever played WoW during TBC? Regular trash mobs in heroic dungeons literally 1-shot anyone who wasn't a fully geared tank. That taught the dps to stay on their toes, respect the tank and control their threat, though.

Nowdays a bunch of monkeys could faceroll through a heroic dungeon -- and what's worse, the monkey-brains have become Blizzard's main target audience. I like it that in Swtor stupidity and cluelessness still have some consequences -- even though the average player is far too dumb to learn from his mistakes. On the other hand it can lead to frustration when your group fails at technically easy fights just because they can't do enough dps or stand out of shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is a massive importance of playing the tank in a dungeon/flashpoint. It's expected that you know how any fight works beforehand and want to lead the group. It's true in any game. It's also why a lot of people avoid the role.

In TOR if the tank has no idea what they are doing. The run becomes so much harder than one who has somewhat of an idea of what to do. That is only ability wise. Mechanic wise for fights a lack of damage or people knowing how to damage. I just realized that this game has successfully en-captured what TBC and Cata Heroics (pre-nerf) are for HM FPs. You just can't run through them. People have to have a basic understanding of their class and spec in order to get through it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gahmuret View Post
    Ever played WoW during TBC? Regular trash mobs in heroic dungeons literally 1-shot anyone who wasn't a fully geared tank. That taught the dps to stay on their toes, respect the tank and control their threat, though.

Nowdays a bunch of monkeys could faceroll through a heroic dungeon -- and what's worse, the monkey-brains have become Blizzard's main target audience. I like it that in Swtor stupidity and cluelessness still have some consequences -- even though the average player is far too dumb to learn from his mistakes. On the other hand it can lead to frustration when your group fails at technically easy fights just because they can't do enough dps or stand out of shit.
    Yes I played wow during TBC, regular trash mobs didnt 1 shot people for the most part, there were several of these mobs that did 1 shot non tanks..like the felguards in heroic blood furnace/the orcs that stun in heroic shattered halls etc but that is part of "tanking". Your tanks weren't the only interrupter in heroics (in wildstar, interrupting spells gives you a moment of opportunity that increases the dmg taken by the mobs/bosses..so its not like WoW interrupt, it was crucial..even more so for an efficient fast clear) like they were in Wildstar, nor are tanks the only one dealing with most of the boss mechanics like they are in SWTOR (sure, early WoW had more tank heavy mechanics like being able to stance dance fears but for the most part it wasnt as demanding). Nowadays, wow raiding in mythic is much more evenly spread out in terms of role weight, everyone pretty much has to do a specific job in every boss fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    Imagine all the nightmares of every moron out there trying to companion tank Ops.

- - - Updated - - -

Skill level and role ability aside, the biggest issue is that for every 6 players you rely on two that are capable of carrying a raid. That does not give opportunities for all players to play when it comes to low population MMO's.

These days MMOs dont draw the huge player base that vanilla wow and EQ did. The tank model is dead.

Raid finder is completely unusable. You can take a typical asshole response and say "only idiots use raid finder" but its a fucking feature of the game and it should fucking work. When new players queue and it doesn't pop for 3 hours they assume the game is junk.

Abolish tanks; find new mechanics to challenge players but take the god damned fucking tank role and shove it up their asses.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I love Tanking in Swtor.

My Guild and Randoms in LFG loved my Tanking for them, I made many friends on that game from BEING a good tank.

If you are sick of Bad tanks, try tanking for yourself instead of wanting to just faceroll as a DPS. Or find a Guild that has Tanks.

Games getting ruined because they try to remove the trinity annoy me. If you remove tanks everything just becomes a Spamfest like GW2 pre-hot, where everything was half-support/dps just so you could survive 99% of the time.

- - - Updated - - -

Skill level and role ability aside, the biggest issue is that for every 6 players you rely on two that are capable of carrying a raid. That does not give opportunities for all players to play when it comes to low population MMO's.

These days MMOs dont draw the huge player base that vanilla wow and EQ did. The tank model is dead.

Raid finder is completely unusable. You can take a typical asshole response and say "only idiots use raid finder" but its a fucking feature of the game and it should fucking work. When new players queue and it doesn't pop for 3 hours they assume the game is junk.

Abolish tanks; find new mechanics to challenge players but take the god damned fucking tank role and shove it up their asses.
    Roll a tank.

Get good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Simple, take what other games have done. Since you really can't add more classes, re-purpose these TRIPLE DPS specs classes and give them healing or tanking specs. It makes no sense with lower pop and these trinity problems to have classes with 3 dps specs. It just blows my mind. Look at something like RIFT. Rift has literally a tanking/dps/heal/support spec for EVERY class. A lot of other games do this too. Looking at something like WOW, they have more classes available to be tanks or healers.

Again, it just feels weird to me with the smaller pop and the difficulty for new classes to fill any sort of new class fantasy game, to not have the 8 classes have more variety specs.

I mean for Marauder, how hard is it to give the class a Tank spec, and a Stance that "<Some defensive Jedi stance/force power, reinforces their stance with the force to be more defensive and apply a force shield at the cost of damage. Increase armor by 15%, Decrease damage by 15%, Increase shielding chance and absorption by %20. This stance counts as having a shield generator equipped."
    Nothing and Everything

The sage words of a dps that thinks they are much better then they almost certainly are. There are a few hundred better things to blame for subscription numbers before you get to tanks ruining the game. You could look at your made up number of 66% of the players being carried by the other 33% to start.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    On the other hand if you're a good tank people will suck you off. Go tank and getcher gobbies
    I may just have to try this game again then. Is it still a healthy population? Best server for progression raiding?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jack Flash View Post
    Games getting ruined because they try to remove the trinity annoy me. If you remove tanks everything just becomes a Spamfest like GW2 pre-hot, where everything was half-support/dps just so you could survive 99% of the time..
    Wait, GW2 has holy trinity (tanking/healing/dps) now? I thought that was the huge lure to it for a lot of people, that it didn't have that.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    Wait, GW2 has holy trinity (tanking/healing/dps) now? I thought that was the huge lure to it for a lot of people, that it didn't have that.
    yeah they added raids, and made a few specializations focus around healing and taunts so that raids could actually be done without being a spamfest full of shit like every other boss in that game.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    "Tank meta"?

People just throw "meta" around like water now, I guess.
    You damn nerd, yes I said tank meta and you're going to like it. If you don't i'll come over to your house, take your silly anime and ponies from you and fuck your mom.

So you're saying I should come back on my shadow? I've been missing it, but with Legion due out in a month and a half... I did kinda want that HK deco.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================