Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

Unhappy Are people more thin-skinned now or what?

So I'm part of a group on FB..my ex invited me to it, for nerdy people. Seems like a good idea to perhaps get to know some new people with some similar interests etc etc. I really should have known better.

Among some of the more ridiculous things I've seen posted.
    -Someone being triggered by someone's weight loss picture. "You should be put up trigger warnings for that". Because this person had/has an issue with bulemia. Like....honestly, I get stuff like that can be rough, I suffer from depression myself but...what the actual fuck?

-Someone posting someone's personal information because they were sent a dickpic. Rather than deal with it the mature way (IE, deleting the thing, and if you're really bothered, inform the police for a lude act I guess). Trying to get people to spam that person with hatemail, get them to lose their job, etc etc.

And that's just kinda the tip of the iceberg. It seems like people need more and more "trigger" warnings...rather than dealing with shit in a calm/rational/adult way. I consider myself fairly PC when the moment calls for it, but some of this shit is off the walls.

This isn't a shot at SJWs or anything like that. Just a thought that if we, have collectively as a society, become far more indulgent in the need to protect people, and whether we are doing anyone any favors by doing this.

Deleted
    It's part of a culture of victim olympics where everyone is competing to be the most-victimised group in order to ironically claim more power over the actions of others

10+ Year Old Account
    Hard to say. Sex, bad language, etc all used to trigger lots of people.

Hmmm... still don't give two flying shits what the overly sensitive and PC crowd have to say. Thanks for the daily check!

I don't think people are necessarily thinner skinned.

I think that the thin-skinned people just have easier methods of being loud assholes.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Didn't you get the memo?
    Its the 21st century, where feelings are more important than truth or facts
    We have faced trials and danger, threats to our world and our way of life. And yet, we persevere. We are the Horde. We will not let anything break our spirits!"

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    I wouldn't say that there are more of them. I'd say that they're better connected through social media.

Recently there has been a massively large increase in the use of social media to communicate, even in confined local areas. Most of it from this whole SJW vs anti-SJW thing that's been going on. So, if anything is really to blame, it would be the internet, I'd say. It is a tool that has become the catalyst for most of this on both sides of the fence.
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's part of a culture of victim olympics where everyone is competing to be the most-victimised group in order to ironically claim more power over the actions of others
    I think its a bit of this, along with other things that were changing in the 90's, especially with how adults discipline children. It seems around then there was a paradigm shift to treat every child like special little snowflakes, no punishments (well any worth noting), participation awards for "trying" constant help to get people to succeed or until they try often enough to get an auto-success.

When these kids got older, they expect it from everyone, it got to a point where there were more "special snowflakes" that all thought alike they changed the rules on how society works to the way they view it to work. At first, this wasn't that big of an issue since it was only highschool.. then college, while people in the real world still outnumbered them.

But now most of those people are retiring, leaving positions of leadership and those special snowflakes are taking over those positions. This is not something that is going to be fixed or changed, however you want to view it, for a long.. long time. If it ever does change, its because of what Xarim mentioned in the part I quoted, they all may be special snowflakes, but they are each different and many don't cross to well, so they may fight against each other to figure who is more "important"

For the rest of us who shake our head and sigh, we literally just have to deal with it till a future generation of children change things once again.

My trigger is people who are too easily triggered. Stop oppressing me!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arishtat View Post
    Are people more thin-skinned now or what?
    Nope. Been this way as far back as I can remember. People were just as sensitive on the bulletin boards I visited during the 80s.

I see it more as these people finally having enough of the macho-man "rub dirt it in and play football" society that they're fighting back.

7+ Year Old Account
    Just ask yourself if the issue involves physical violence or directly contradicts a persons occupation, such as a judge who says all gay people should be put in prison.

Other than that, if speech only hurts someones feelings and emotions it doesn't matter.

I think it has more to do with the amount of women online these days. All the women in my life don't like cussing and will tell you, if you're insensitive, they'll kick you under the table or talk to you about it.

I'm not surprised it's happening.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Not only do sticks and stones break our bones, but words do really hurt us.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    I think it has more to do with the amount of women online these days. All the women in my life don't like cussing and will tell you, if you're insensitive, they'll kick you under the table or talk to you about it.

I'm not surprised it's happening.
    I think some of it is people realize they aren't unique or special for good reasons or their own greatness. So then the next best way to get attention is to be the victim of something and try to gain sympathy.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

The radical left is creeping some elements of a fascist police state into society masked by charges of racism and insanity. All you need to do is say the wrong thing once and they start removing you from society. People become afraid to speak out in public for fear of reprisal. People are made to fear offending people on an internet forum for fear of getting banned by leftist moderators. That's how you silence good discussion and create a police state.

Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    Victim olympics, I have to remember that one...
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaetha View Post
    I don't think people are necessarily thinner skinned.

I think that the thin-skinned people just have easier methods of being loud assholes.
    Agree. There have always been fragile and thin-skinned people. The internet gives voice to people who would've had trouble speaking out otherwise.

In real life? No. But if you're around game sites, there's people who make it their life's work to complain and post any time any single person does something they view as SJW. If there's anything new, it's how offended anti-SJW people are at every little thing they can uncover to be offended about.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Thin skinned? No.

Throwing a fit, to get their way (like a child would) - Yes.

It seems to be working.