Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Nope, it's just way easier to be heard/hear them these days than way back when you had to stand atop a soapbox and yell real loud.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuesdays View Post
    Thin skinned? No.

Throwing a fit, to get their way (like a child would) - Yes.

It seems to be working.
    This is pathetic on both sides. The "children" and the authorities.

7+ Year Old Account
    While some people say that we have becomed more thin-skinned, i really just think that it has something to do with this generation, being the first to live with global communication. Everybody can give a voice to everything, and since you are on the global net, you can be offended by anything, say whatever and yet not take any action against it, with no side effect.

So no, people are not more thin-skinned, it has just becomed easy to show how thin-skinned we have always been.

10+ Year Old Account
    Whether calling for censorship of Lady Chatterley's Lover a century ago*, or people today calling computer games sexist because you can't see Batman's bum, the perpetually outraged have always been around.

*Technically not a century ago, as it came out in 1928, but I wanted to be more poetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Flurryfang View Post
    While some people say that we have becomed more thin-skinned, i really just think that it has something to do with this generation, being the first to live with global communication. Everybody can give a voice to everything, and since you are on the global net, you can be offended by anything, say whatever and yet not take any action against it, with no side effect.

So no, people are not more thin-skinned, it has just becomed easy to show how thin-skinned we have always been.
    That's actually a really good explanation. It's really just an extension of the classic theory of the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, we have become FAR more thin skinned here in the US in the past 30-40 years. At this rate people will be going to therapy for years if they see someone stub their toe...

Quote Originally Posted by Chitika View Post
    Nope, it's just way easier to be heard/hear them these days than way back when you had to stand atop a soapbox and yell real loud.

This is pathetic on both sides. The "children" and the authorities.
    I don't quite understand how this is a problem. We start early teaching our children that, this is not how you act, you can't stomp your feet and cry to get your way. I hate to say it, but I think human rights have gotten out of control.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    That's actually a really good explanation. It's really just an extension of the classic theory of the internet.

Indeed. When people don't have to be afraid, that people would punch you in the face for their opnion, some folks really just opens up for their inner demons.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Dude it's 2016!

That means you have to be offended by everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Arishtat View Post
    So I'm part of a group on FB..my ex invited me to it, for nerdy people. Seems like a good idea to perhaps get to know some new people with some similar interests etc etc. I really should have known better.

Among some of the more ridiculous things I've seen posted.
    -Someone being triggered by someone's weight loss picture. "You should be put up trigger warnings for that". Because this person had/has an issue with bulemia. Like....honestly, I get stuff like that can be rough, I suffer from depression myself but...what the actual fuck?

-Someone posting someone's personal information because they were sent a dickpic. Rather than deal with it the mature way (IE, deleting the thing, and if you're really bothered, inform the police for a lude act I guess). Trying to get people to spam that person with hatemail, get them to lose their job, etc etc.

And that's just kinda the tip of the iceberg. It seems like people need more and more "trigger" warnings...rather than dealing with shit in a calm/rational/adult way. I consider myself fairly PC when the moment calls for it, but some of this shit is off the walls.

This isn't a shot at SJWs or anything like that. Just a thought that if we, have collectively as a society, become far more indulgent in the need to protect people, and whether we are doing anyone any favors by doing this.
    if someone flashed their dangalang at you in public theyd be arrested and put in jail, why should i be forced to get dick pics from males when i did no such solicitation of no dingalingalangs?

everyone needs to fucking stop with the dick pics, NOBODY likes dick pics, NOBODY.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grummgug View Post
    The radical left is creeping some elements of a fascist police state into society masked by charges of racism and insanity. All you need to do is say the wrong thing once and they start removing you from society. People become afraid to speak out in public for fear of reprisal. People are made to fear offending people on an internet forum for fear of getting banned by leftist moderators. That's how you silence good discussion and create a police state.
    you need to really stop reading infowars and listening to alex jones.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Older people get "triggered" by fuck, shit, damn, ect. People are just more offended by stuff that is directed towards others than just vague expressions of emotion now.

Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's part of a culture of victim olympics where everyone is competing to be the most-victimised group in order to ironically claim more power over the actions of others
    This.

These days you can't even say something POSITIVE about a group of people without being called a racist, sexist, xenophob or whatever..."I love Irishmen!" is met with "WHY? You can't lump all of them together in one loveable lump because it triggers me as fuck!!"...

People are becoming so PC that soon we won't be able to laugh at other people. Period. Not even when they mean to be funny, since they COULD feel bad if someone laughed in the wrong way...

The reasoning seems to be that "If you're not offended at least once a day, you're not being interesting and deep enough!!", especially in the 20-30 bracket of people.

Quote Originally Posted by Algy View Post
    Older people get "triggered" by fuck, shit, damn, ect. People are just more offended by stuff that is directed towards others than just vague expressions of emotion now.
    we need to get rid of rock music because it makes kids worship satan
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

people have come to think that their need to be unoffended trumps your right to speak.

people have also gotten weaker in terms of things that actually offend people. my generation is rather weak and pathetic, and i have no idea how it went so wrong. we grew up with some of the best cartoons, so it wasn't the cartoons.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    people have come to think that their need to be unoffended trumps your right to speak.

people have also gotten weaker in terms of things that actually offend people. my generation is rather weak and pathetic, and i have no idea how it went so wrong. we grew up with some of the best cartoons, so it wasn't the cartoons.
    don't worry cartoon network made sure those cartoons won't ever come back.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    we need to get rid of rock music because it makes kids worship satan
    Sounds like we need more rock music~

7+ Year Old Account
    everyone has a place where they can anonymously voice their opinions now with little to no immediate repercussions onto themselves.
    The world isn't as bad as you think.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    don't worry cartoon network made sure those cartoons won't ever come back.
    Looney tunes. Such classics. So not PC. :P
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Algy View Post
    Sounds like we need more rock music~
    but then they'll start fornicatin and smokin DU BEEEz and we'll all go to hell

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Looney tunes. Such classics. So not PC. :P
    i'm talking more along the lines of billy and mandy johnny bravo cow and chicken courage dexter's labratory...