Question about rift and wildstar

So I've got a few more weeks of doing nothing before i do something, and i wanted to get back into an mmo and I was either going to play wildstar or rift, but both games after looking around forums and reddit, had doomsday posts about the games being dead. Is that the case? Like if i play wildstar am i going to sit in hour long queues? are the games dead? or do they still have a somewhat decent population playing them? Looking to play one or the other so if a is dead i'll play b or vise versa

A game isn't technically dead til it's no longer functional. Will you wait an hour for a que in W*? Yea if you are dps probably, tanks and healers always get faster ques. Why don't you just play both since they play pretty differently with W* having fake action combat and rift traditionally tab target.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    A game isn't technically dead til it's no longer functional. Will you wait an hour for a que in W*? Yea if you are dps probably, tanks and healers always get faster ques. Why don't you just play both since they play pretty differently with W* having fake action combat and rift traditionally tab target.
    i'm sorry i don't phrase my posts for the 5% of people who only interpret words in their literal meanings. And as I said in my post, I only want to play one. I want to play the game that has the bigger population.

Quote Originally Posted by Emek View Post
    i'm sorry i don't phrase my posts for the 5% of people who only interpret words in their literal meanings. And as I said in my post, I only want to play one. I want to play the game that has the bigger population.
    What other meaning does the word "dead" even have? If you don't actually mean dead then don't use the word?

We can't actually determine which one has a higher population since sub numbers are never released but I feel like Rift has a more... stable player base but there is some serious controversy going on over at Trion. I'd go with W* because even though I think the game is hugely flawed it has more better points than Rift, like visuals and charm.

What other meaning does the word "dead" even have? If you don't actually mean dead then don't use the word?

We can't actually determine which one has a higher population since sub numbers are never released but I feel like Rift has a more... stable player base but there is some serious controversy going on over at Trion. I'd go with W* because even though I think the game is hugely flawed it has more better points than Rift, like visuals and charm.
    Yup. The amount of controversy with Trion making rift damn near Pay to Win is pathetic. Key word damn near. Wildstar does have it's charm and between the 2 I'd pick that personally. If you are willing to throw down a sub then I'd say get FF14 as it comes with 30 days free but only if you are willing.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2016-04-04 at 02:23 AM.

I'd recommend google for the answer to that question, as most likely anyone on this forum doesn't have the actual numbers on hand and will need to look it up anyway.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

Why would I make a post asking about which game i should play if the game was no longer playable because it was "dead". And I'm well aware they don't post sub number. It would be determined through social interaction like "hey i don't see people running around and it takes me forever to find a dungeon group" and if the person playing the other game says the opposite probably has a higher pop
    Last edited by Emek; 2016-04-04 at 02:31 AM.

Why would I make a post asking about which game i should play if the game was no longer playable because it was "dead". And I'm well aware they don't post sub number. It would be determined through social interaction like "hey i don't see people running around and it takes me forever to find a dungeon group" and if the person playing the other game says the opposite. gee golly probably means the other game has a higher pop.

The fact that you're nit picking this is incredibly ridiculous
    I'm not nit picking, if you hear the game is "dead" yet it's still running that means it's not dead. I answered your question though if you want to continue ignoring it though. Both games low level zones don't seem to have much social interaction. DPS have hella long ques both games personally to me are shit

now pick your poison and continue to use the world dead wrong

Why would I make a post asking about which game i should play if the game was no longer playable because it was "dead". And I'm well aware they don't post sub number. It would be determined through social interaction like "hey i don't see people running around and it takes me forever to find a dungeon group" and if the person playing the other game says the opposite probably has a higher pop
    Both games from what I've played are low pop. I'd be surprised if Rift is around any time soon with the idiotic decisions Trion are making and Wildstar needs to pull itself out of the gutter fast after the layoffs and cancelled Chinese release. So like Zito said it really is pick your poison. The more well known MMO's WoW, Gw2 and FF14 are your best choice due to a decent playerbase and good content. But like I said only if you are willing to either pay once in GW2's case or try FF14 or WoW with the 30 days you get on purchase.

Deleted
    Coming from someone who played both Wildstar and Rift, I'm still in wildstar and I won't be returning for Rift.
    Both games suffer from long queues while leveling up. For Rift there is no change in sight for this, while Wildstar will be launching on steam probably rather soon which will make the game have an increase in new players.
    Leveling in Wildstar is faster, the business model is more generous (by a lot!). And the game got many active players at lvl 50 and just launched a new patch that makes gearing up if you are a pve player rather easy. The skill trees are better in Rift, I give them that, but Wildstar combat is much, much better.

If you are looking for a casual game, not for raiding, Rift isnt bad at all. Raiding is painful, but if you dont raid, there's a shit ton of things to do. I've seen so many people saying "Rift is pay to win!" Yeah right sure, i've put 5$ in the game and i have everything unlocked. If you are willing to put some time in it (and are not the kind of person that want to have everything unlocked/done/finished within 1 month) you'll have fun in rift.

Wildstar leveling is amazing and somewhat fast. Back in the days i played that game tho, it's was the only fun part since once you were max level well... go raid or go play another game. No idea if that changed since then.
    Played 2 months of wildstar and im now at 3 years in Rift.

If you have questions about specific MMO's, please use the primary thread for the game or its subforum.