Page 1 of 17
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Angry Ashley Graham's Maxim cover accused of 'too much Photoshop' on plus-size model

Ashley Graham has become the first ever plus-size model to appear on the cover of US magazine Maxim, but fans have reacted angrily, accusing the men's glossy of airbrushing away her curves and doing a disservice to the plus-size community.

Graham, a 28-year-old from Nebraska, shared an image of the landmark cover with her 1.5 million Instagram followers on Tuesday, but was swiftly met with cries she was the victim of "too much Photoshop".

"Definitely Photoshopped," one of Graham's followers wrote.

"That's unfortunate after everything you stand for Ashley, your curves are gorgeous and Maxim should not have minimised who you are. Shame on them!"

"It's a shame they photoshopped her to appear slimmer," another said.

"If you want to be [empowering] and real I dare you to leave the rolls, cellulite, fat, uneven skin tone and bulge," wrote Lulu Valentina on Facebook.

The photographer behind the shoot, Gilles Bensimon, responded to critics on Instagram, insisting his pictures of Graham had not been slimmed.

"In fact [almost no Photoshop], sorry to disappoint you," Bensimon wrote.

Graham is yet to publicly address the accusations but told Entertainment Tonight earlier this week she was against having her figure significantly digitally altered.

Graham has recently become a poster girl for curvy women, appearing on billboards and buses around the US as part of plus-size fashion label Lane Bryant's "I'm No Angel Campaign" in 2015.

She made headlines in February after landing the high-profile cover of Sports Illustrated's 2016 Swimsuit Edition, apparently the first non-sample size cover model in the magazine's history.

"I am honoured," Graham told New York Magazine at the time.
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-03-3...opping/7285492

This is outrageous! Where is their integrity.

Would be good to see this fat acceptance thing to go away.

Where is the ninth thread about fat people by Tennisface? Oh here it is. Ok, ty.

Need pictures of photoshoped and non photoshoped person to make a judgement.

If you're looking at a model, you should safely assume photoshop is happening, regardless of who they are
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

why would you be against this tennis? it fits with what a woman should obviously look like...
    also, the fuck? she counts as plus sized? uuh.

10+ Year Old Account
    What a fucking hypocrite you are tennis.
    “A man will contend for a false faith stronger than he will a true one,” he observes. “The truth defends itself, but a falsehood must be defended by its adherents: first to prove it to themselves and secondly, that they may appear right in the estimation of their friends.”
    -The Acts of Pilate.

If Ashley Graham is Plus-Sized, I'm a bloody obese blob of human meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkeon View Post
    If Ashley Graham is Plus-Sized, I'm a bloody obese blob of human meat.
    Yeah I don't do fat chicks but that chick would get the diddly.

15+ Year Old Account
    Here I was thinking Maxim existed to help the low self esteem of obese women.

I am shocked to discover this is not the case.

Are we completely sure that the image was photoshoped? I mean, I remember a case where Lena Dunham complained about being photoshoped for a cover of a magazine and the magazine just placed the original photo next to the cover and it turned out they didn't. If even the person that is the subject of the photo can't tell (though in that case considering the person I would say is more of creating outrage where the wasn't one for the sake of attention) how can fans tell if the image was photoshoped?

Deleted
    google pictures actually shows pictures where she is without a doubt plus size (from a European point of view)

she would be georgeous if she'd manage to look like on that cover. I'd say an athletic woman is a better idol

7+ Year Old Account
    Can we get a lock on this? We don't need another fat-bashing thread.

7+ Year Old Account
    Nearly every photo in nearly every magazine of nearly every model is photo shopped, why should the plus size get any sort of special treatment? I mean... this is all about equality, right?

Deleted
    Perfect body type IMO.

I'd be inclined to believe the photographer. She doesn't seem to be any slimmer, but the angle and use of the white cloth to cover up her body may give the illusion that she is slimmer.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

7+ Year Old Account
    To the people saying she isn't plus sized, or that she has the perfect body - have you looked at pictures aside from that cover photo? She is plus-sized indeed - not that there is anything wrong with a fat person bring happy as a fat person, but she is definitely plus-sized.

Badmintonpro confuses me. We all know he hates fat women. But he hates on a magazine for maybe hiding a woman's fat?

Deleted
    They didn't photo-shop her to be slimmer, her figure is broad but covered by her shirt, it's nothing false just because you didn't figure it out at first glance, boohoo!

Look at her butt-cheek to the left
    and then her waist to the right in the picture, that is not slim

SJWs are in the house being 'outraged' again...

Quote Originally Posted by Zandro View Post
    To the people saying she isn't plus sized, or that she has the perfect body - have you looked at pictures aside from that cover photo? She is plus-sized indeed - not that there is anything wrong with a fat person bring happy as a fat person, but she is definitely plus-sized.
    From someone on the outside, knowing nothing on this "Ashley Graham" person, looking at that cover.. nope. Plumpier than the usual skinny-model person, sure, but hardly plus sized.
    I do admit I didn't bother googling this person before making my previous comment though.