Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Question Unmarked/Non-Uniformed Police officers

Hello fellow champions i normally wouldn't throw this on the MMO-CHAMPION forums but as i think it's an interesting topic i think i will. I live in New Jersey and i got pulled over by an Unmarked/Non-uniformed police lady and she wrote me a ticket. Obviously i was really skeptical as it's easy for someone to just throw flashers in there vehicle. I pulled over and lowered my window just a crack and asked her to show me her police ID after she banged on my window and told me to lower my window all the way. She wouldn't show me her badge so i said can you get a marked vehicle here? in which case she said no give me your credentials. I rolled up my window and called the police and it did turn out she was an officer. I talked to the state police and they said they could've gotten me on hindering but didn't. Her vehicle was her personal vehicle as she told me & there isn't a way she could've properly paced me as she pulled me over from the side and she didn't use a radar gun.

So my questions to all of you is..

My questions to all of you:
    Is a Unmarked/Uniformed police officer allowed to pull you over and ticket you?
    What would you do in this situation? How would you deal with a stranger attempting to pull you over?
    Would you have just rolled your window down?

I made a post regarding tints awhile back and got a lot of mixed opinions, I'm sure i'll get some good responses.
    EDIT 1: Consulting a lawyer about this and filing a complaint. I have a video of the car before she pulled me over if any want to see.
    EDIT 2: I Talked to my Lawyer today and he thinks we have a case.I didn't get a clear cut answer as to the legality of pulling someone over as a Unmarked/Non-Uniformed police officer. In most states if the car is unmarked then the officer has to be dressed as an officer for public safety. I'm not sure about my state. I will update when i find out for the curious on this thread.
    Last edited by Sickjen; 2016-04-05 at 10:58 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    You're now trying to argue that fingers are people. And you expect me to take your argument seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by AbsolutVodka View Post
    I did walk up to a truck once and whispered, "I know your secret... Optimus Prime..

15+ Year Old Account
    A police officer can't pull people over in civilian clothing in a civilian car and refuse to show identification and still arrest you for hindering. Even with my low faith in legislators I refuse to believe that's legal.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jencsik View Post
    Is a Unmarked/Uniformed police officer allowed to pull you over and ticket you?
    Why? Are you a cop? You have to tell me if you're a cop!

Deleted
    Lawl what the hell that doesn't even sound legal. So what if she actually was a cop, if I was a cop I wouldn't be allowed to act like one when not on duty (And this smells like she wasn't on duty: No car, no Uniform AND no I.D?)

I talked to the state police and they said they could've gotten me on hindering but didn't.
    Sounds to me like they know it wouldn't hold up in court so they're just trying to scare you "Obey everything we say even if we can in no way identify that we actually are the cops"

No way that that shit should fly in court, otherwise I might as well go out with a notepad and start taking bribes from people wanting to come out from under a "ticket"
    Last edited by mmocf1858d9362; 2016-04-05 at 09:43 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think you handled it right but I would have rolled the window all the way down. You asked for a marked/uniformed officer so that I would think shows you aren't purposefully obstructing. Her refusal to show ID is pretty suspicious.

This scenario sounds pretty sketchy

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    A police officer can't pull people over in civilian clothing in a civilian car and refuse to show identification and still arrest you for hindering. Even with my low faith in legislators I refuse to believe that's legal.
    Well i'm guessing the state police assumed she showed her ID to me. I didn't get arrested or anything but just a ticket for speeding, The situation just seemed overally bizarre for state police to be acting that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Why? Are you a cop? You have to tell me if you're a cop!
    I see what your getting at

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    This scenario sounds pretty sketchy
    You know how you typically get pulled over by cops will red/blue lights. Well hers where just red...
    You're now trying to argue that fingers are people. And you expect me to take your argument seriously.
    I did walk up to a truck once and whispered, "I know your secret... Optimus Prime..

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes they are allowed, police in civilian as we call it here is allowed to do such things. However for traffic violations they need to be with two i believe for certain violations.

These cars generally also have lights so if they start to chase you, you generally know it isn't some guy stalking you.

7+ Year Old Account
    If she refused to show you her badge, I can't see why you wouldn't be able to just drive around. There could be crazies out there looking to rape, pillage, and murder by posing as undercover police officers... I wouldn't have done anything until a marked car arrived or until she showed me her badge.

Quote Originally Posted by Jencsik View Post
    You know how you typically get pulled over by cops will red/blue lights. Well hers where just red...
    Budget cuts maybe? lol

depends on the country, In Sweden it is allowed to pull you over and give you tickets with unmarked cars, infact it is the method most commonly used by the traffic police that are using civil unmarked cars almost exclusively.

I have no problems with cops in unmarked vehicles but she should have shown her ID
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    I have no problems with cops in unmarked vehicles but she should have shown her ID
    Yeah that's the thing. I fail to see how not showing her ID was a positive thing. She is essentially laying the scene for a lethal 'misunderstanding'.

If I were the OP I'd personally find some skeeezy constitutionalist right wing talk show and write them a letter about it, just to embarrass the police department over that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Yes they are allowed, police in civilian as we call it here is allowed to do such things. However for traffic violations they need to be with two i believe for certain violations.

These cars generally also have lights so if they start to chase you, you generally know it isn't some guy stalking you.
    Not without ID

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd probably slow down and call 911 to confirm their identity or pull into a public place filled with people before stopping.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only difference between an on duty and off duty officer is an off duty officer isn't required to take calls. They still have the same powers they would if they were on duty.

She probably didn't have her badge on her but she is required to provide her badge number if you ask for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Budget cuts maybe? lol
    No, she literally told me it was her personal vehicle. I couldn't believe this lady put lights in her personal vehicle LOL

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    I've delt with state police before. They are calm and collective with approaching people. She literally slammed her door and came running towards my door and started banging on my window that was partially open.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathreim View Post
    The only difference between an on duty and off duty officer is an off duty officer isn't required to take calls. They still have the same powers they would if they were on duty.
    True, However she did not have to proper equipment to asses my speed. She could've paced me but that's out because she pulled me over from the side. Which is why i think i have a case. It's a $400 fine btw.
    Last edited by Sickjen; 2016-04-05 at 09:51 PM.

1. something if off here, how did she write a ticket before getting your license?

2. Yes, she must identify herself.

3. Cops are cops 24/7, its actually illegal in many states for off duty cops to witness a crime and do nothing.

4. In many states you can also be arrested for not complying, but again you did ask for a patrol car and she showed no ID, so thats out the window

Yeah that's the thing. I fail to see how not showing her ID was a positive thing. She is essentially laying the scene for a lethal 'misunderstanding'.

If I were the OP I'd personally find some skeeezy constitutionalist right wing talk show and write them a letter about it, just to embarrass the police department over that.
    Chances are she'll likely receive disciplinary actions for it.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Quote Originally Posted by Feredir View Post
    1. something if off here, how did she write a ticket before getting your license?

2. Yes, she must identify herself.

3. Cops are cops 24/7, its actually illegal in many states for off duty cops to witness a crime and do nothing.

4. In many states you can also be arrested for not complying, but again you did ask for a patrol car and she showed no ID, so thats out the window
    A moving violation is not a crime. Thus police shouldn't use cowboy tactics to enforce them because the end result is that public safety is needlessly endangered.