Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ...
    The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Maturity is subjective, last generation's opinion is irrelevant
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by damajin View Post
    It's just you. Young people don't know shit about shit, couldn't even tell you what resolute means let alone embody it and are out of touch with everything except their own base needs. That's not mature, on any metric.
    There's no evidence to suggest as such.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    There's no evidence to suggest as such.
    You must never leave your house, ever.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

10+ Year Old Account
    You must never leave your house, ever.
    I've worked with young people a lot more than you, I hazard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

I'd say they're less independent.

But independence and maturity aren't the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    I've worked with young people a lot more than you, I hazard.
    Potentially, but I'm not interested in resume posting to check that out. Regarding these 'mature' young people, anyone who interacts with them regularly and consistently and isn't a total homer for their antics will tell you they don't have a mature bone in their body. You'll find your exceptions and good for them but they're exceptions, kids have been getting progressively more vapid since the 90s to the point that we've got the publicly acknowledged Manchild archetype in our midst on a daily if not hourly basis.

Doesn't take much eyesight and brain power to figure them out.

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

10+ Year Old Account
    There are idiots in every generation, they are usually the loudest about their opinions being right.
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

It's just you. Young people don't know shit about shit, couldn't even tell you what resolute means let alone embody it and are out of touch with everything except their own base needs. That's not mature, on any metric.
    This is quite amusing coming from you. What could be more immature than a grown man (or woman) basing their belief systems on prejudice and because that's what they have always believed, rather than thinking them through like an adult and being willing to admit when they are wrong.

Generational warfare? What a big fucking surprise.
    Whoever loves let him flourish. / Let him perish who knows not love. / Let him perish twice who forbids love. - Pompeii

Quote Originally Posted by alexw View Post
    This is quite amusing coming from you. What could be more immature than a grown man (or woman) basing their belief systems on prejudice and because that's what they have always believed, rather than thinking them through like an adult and being willing to admit when they are wrong.
    It's not prejudice, it's daily observation and interaction. If you actually participate in society and interact with people it's not hard to see these things.

But really your whole post is one giant jump to a stupid conclusion, so have fun with that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe if their generation wasn't destroying our social and economic mobility, we'd have more world wisdom.

Old people talking about how "entitled" or "wrong" young people are. Bah tell them to get fucked.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words... When I was young, we were taught to be discreet and respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly wise [disrespectful] and impatient of restraint.
    - Hesiod, 8th century BCE

The world is passing through troublous times. The young people of today think of nothing but themselves. They have no reverence for parents or old age. They are impatient of all restraint. They talk as if they knew everything, and what passes for wisdom with us is foolishness with them. As for the girls, they are forward, immodest and unladylike in speech, behavior and dress.
    - Peter the Hermit, 1274 CE

Old people have been whining that young people are frivolous and immature for literally thousands of years. It's just old people not liking young people, it has nothing to do with the actual character of either generation.

Of course, younger generations are always less mature, just like older generations are always living in the past!

10+ Year Old Account
    Is less maturity a bad thing?

Quote Originally Posted by p291u View Post
    100%. In fact, there is a particular image that comes to mind:

This post makes no sense, if I'm gathering what I believe to be "the message" correctly. Those 18 year olds storming beaches in the '40s did so out of a sense of duty, patriotism, protecting loved ones, or simply drafted.

And sticking with themes here, when the attacks on September 11th occurred, young men and women flocked in droves to their nearest recruiting station for the same reasons. As much as I dislike many of the values this current generation holds, and especially their music, I know that if anything near that level of significance happened today we would see the same thing we always have in times of crisis.

So...clever picture, complete farce of a message though.