Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Cool US and Canadian citizens may soon need visas to visit Europe

Americans and Canadians may soon need more paperwork to vacation in Europe.

Visitors from the two North American countries have long enjoyed visa-free travel throughout the European Union. But not all travelers from the EU are granted the same privilege when visiting the US and Canada. Now, the EU is looking to level the playing field.

Europe’s executive body is considering making US and Canadian tourists apply for visas, Reuters reported today (Apr. 7). The European Commission will debate the issue at a meeting next Tuesday, about a week before US president Barack Obama is slated to visit Brussels to negotiate a free-trade deal.

Citizens of most EU member states, including the UK, Italy, and France, don’t need visas to travel to the US and Canada. But citizens of Romania and Bulgaria, which joined the EU in 2007, do. So do holders of passports from EU members Croatia, Cyprus, and Poland.

The EU has been pushing for the US and Canada to treat travelers from all its member states equally since Dec. 2013, when a law went into effect requiring EU countries to have a common response to visa matters. The law said that the Commission could temporarily suspend the EU’s own visa exemptions on foreign countries if they didn’t lift their visa requirements within six months.

The Commission threatened to increase scrutiny of US and Canadian travel in Feb. 2014, but has not followed through.

This latest visa debate could cast a shadow over Obama’s trip, Reuters reported. The two sides are under pressure to close the transatlantic trade agreement before Obama leaves office in Jan. 2017.

http://qz.com/656886/us-and-canadian...-visit-the-eu/

Their loss. Just makes it even less likely for us to visit there and their tourism industry will suffer even more.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'd be interested to know what percentage US and Canadian visitors represent in the European tourism industry. Would be relevant to the discussion.
    Facilis Descensus Averno

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    http://qz.com/656886/us-and-canadian...-visit-the-eu/

Their loss. Just makes it even less likely for us to visit there and their tourism industry will suffer even more.
    It is too dangerous to go to Europe anyway so why would I wanna go there? Level the playing field? More like a joke. hahaha

"threatened but has not followed through" <-----sounds like Europe to me.

Deleted
    Boo-hoo! Besides Canadians probably make up less than 5% of European tourism

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    Won't affect uk tourism as North Americans have always needed a visa to visit our country.
    Oh yeah. What country is this?

I've always taken a passport, I think they wrote up a visa at the airport or something....

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    United Kingdoms

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by morpen View Post
    United Kingdoms
    I don't recall this. Calling this as untrue.

Deleted
    He just said LOL

They don't need a Visa to come to the US just go to Mexico first and walk in scot-free

Quote Originally Posted by morpen View Post
    United Kingdoms
    As far as I understand, I don't need a visa to visit there. Not sure about extended stays though.

Deleted
    FYI you don't need a visa if you're a tourist here

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa/y/usa/tourism

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Won't affect uk tourism as North Americans have always needed a visa to visit our country.
    Canadians do not require a visa to travel to the UK.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

lmao no we dont.

Canadian passport have access to 176 countries without visa.

You guessed it UK is one of the 176.

Deleted
    Anyway the motion won't pass anyway

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrianth View Post
    Canadians do not require a visa to travel to the UK.
    I know right. I literally went there last year and it was a breeze to clear immigration.

Quote Originally Posted by Mentia View Post
    As far as I understand, I don't need a visa to visit there. Not sure about extended stays though.
    US passport holders do not need visa to enter UK for tourism, or visiting friends and family members. In fact for a lot of countries (including Asian countries like Indonesia), if you have US passport, you can get your visa upon arrival. I hope it stays like that, because my wife and I like to take last minute trips.

Its not like its gona pass lol. Theres a reason North American countries requires visas for travelers from some of the poorer EU states. Theres a reason why we dont need a visa to visit Argentina, but they require one to visit us. All countries arent equal. Just like someone with graduation from universities in North America can work anywhere in the world, the other way around is not always the case.
    Last edited by minteK917; 2016-04-07 at 05:17 PM.

Deleted
    I know right. I literally went there last year and it was a breeze to clear immigration.
    I imagine you wasn't successful with women here

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    I imagine you wasn't successful with women here
    They're not my type for the most part it seemed. Occasionally one or two had a cute accent but it was rare..