Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

The sugar conspiracy

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2...ig-john-yudkin

If, as seems increasingly likely, the nutritional advice on which we have relied for 40 years was profoundly flawed, this is not a mistake that can be laid at the door of corporate ogres. Nor can it be passed off as innocuous scientific error. What happened to John Yudkin belies that interpretation. It suggests instead that this is something the scientists did to themselves – and, consequently, to us.

So how did scientists manage to fuck up this badly for so long?

Um... This is old news... I think..
    Sugar is like cocaine to the brain.

Processed Carbs are just turned into sugar by the body.

High protein/ high fat > low fat high carbs

Quote Originally Posted by nomorepriest View Post

In the article 50% of us doctors believe dietary cholesterol raises blood cholesterol

Quote Originally Posted by nomorepriest View Post

I think cocaine is the cocaine to the brain, but I agree with the rest.

Great read, and something I can attest to personally. Sugar is by far the worst thing we eat today and its' propensity to create addictive eating habits through euphoria is something that food and beverage companies have long relied on for the repeat customer strategy. Ever since I stopped eating carbs and sugars I feel like a different person and much of my own turmoil and problems over the years tend to walk hand in hand with any overzealous sugar consumption I did. I started zero carb after being low carb for quite a long time after reading The Fat of the Land by Vilhjalmur Stefansson and exploring further both online and elsewhere.

That guy Keys was obsessed with the body composition of Asians, whose high carb low fat diets kept them in their ultra lean natural state and since they already had the reputation for long life well before the 20th century began he correlated their diet with that. I remember reading somewhere that he was a vegetarian or heavily influenced by that lifestyle. People just wanted a solution for all the heart disease that was happening so they went with it but at the same time food companies began experimenting with the expansion of sugary foods since they were already zeroing in on its' semi addictive nature.

Sugar is now an institution with a strong lobby, and found in far too many foods that it shouldn't be in. That tells you this is deliberate, regardless of risks or effects.
    Last edited by Damajin; 2016-04-07 at 08:37 PM.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

It's LIKE cocaine on the brain. please use comprehension skills.

7+ Year Old Account
    Sugar is yummy.

Basically don't follow "fad diets". Anything in excess is bad.

Sugar. Fat. Alcohol. Protein. Vitamins. Water.

10+ Year Old Account
    One of the things I learned from losing weight is that sugar is bad... mkay. Extremely bad for you. If you knew how much sugar the human body was suppose to have daily, you would be shocked. I avoid sugar as much as possible. Only consuming Stevia and sometimes Splenda. I try to avoid Splenda.

Also sugar causes glycation which ages the crap out of you, plus cancer. The sugar they put in food is criminal.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Leave my drug alone! The moment im diagnosed with diabetes and forced to regulate my sugar cosumption will be the moment i die.

Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    In the article 50% of us doctors believe dietary cholesterol raises blood cholesterol
    It can. As a causative study I present: myself. I have something called intestinal hypocholesteremia. I don't absorb fats as well, and, as a result, also have much lower cholesterol levels than a normal person would on my diet.

This is, btw, different from hepatic hypocholesteremia which is the liver not producing enough cholesterol.

Deleted
    This is why obesity is a lot like smoking

Tobacco companies for decades bought scientists, appealed to politicians, business interests and our own gullibility to make it seem like it was OK - even healthy - to be a smoker

We all now know how ridiculous that was

Tobacco companies got celebrities to smoke, put them smoking on magazines, told us it's not unhealthy to be a smoker - that the evidence of links between smoking and cancer/etc was not necessarily causality - sound familiar?

"Healthy at any size", plus-size models, fat acceptance?

Obesity is the smoking of our era, and sucrose/fructose is the new tobacco

Fat acceptance is smoking acceptance

Just say no
    Last edited by mmoca8403991fd; 2016-04-07 at 09:57 PM.

I think its important to differentiate between carbs and sugar.

Fructose is the real enemy

great video if you have some time to kill

10+ Year Old Account
    Sugar is a carbohydrate by definition.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    This is why obesity is a lot like smoking
    Here's the difference.

There's no such thing as secondary or tertiary obesity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Deleted

Fructose is the real enemy
    All sugars are edible carbohydrates, fructose/sucrose/all kind of similar

We've just refined them into a drug, basically

https://youtu.be/f5zdr0COebw

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    All sugars are edible carbohydrates, fructose/sucrose/all kind of similar

We've just refined them into a drug, basically
    Please do elaborate on the chemical alterations to dextrose/fructose/maltose that we do to 'refine it into a drug'.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    One of the things I learned from losing weight is that sugar is bad... mkay. Extremely bad for you. If you knew how much sugar the human body was suppose to have daily, you would be shocked. I avoid sugar as much as possible. Only consuming Stevia and sometimes Splenda. I try to avoid Splenda.

Also sugar causes glycation which ages the crap out of you, plus cancer. The sugar they put in food is criminal.

I'll take a natural sugar over those lab created, cancer causing artificial sweeteners any day of the week.

And lol sugar causing cancer. That's artificial sweeteners.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansworthy
    Deathwing will come and go RAWR RAWR IM A DWAGON
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyCasual View Post
    There's no point in saying this, even if you slap them upside down and inside out with the truth, the tin foil hat brigade will continue to believe the opposite.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerus View Post
    I'll take a natural sugar over those lab created, cancer causing
    They don't cause cancer.

Quote Originally Posted by Justpassing View Post
    I think cocaine is the cocaine to the brain, but I agree with the rest.
    "Sugar is like cocaine to the brain"...keyword being "like". The person you replied to was making a comparison, it's a rather common thing to do!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Please do elaborate on the chemical alterations to dextrose/fructose/maltose that we do to 'refine it into a drug'.
    The accessibility and the quantity makes it a "drug".

In nature you don't find the pure substance ready to be chomped down.