Poll: Current state of WoW

Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    Deleted

Unrest/unhappiness on forums at all time high?

The unhappy are always the most vocal part of the community, official forums or here or anywhere (except for WoW subreddit which is oddly positive).

But doesn't it seems to be at all time high? For all types of different reasons people seem to be unhappy with general design of the game.

Back in the days a lot of the complaining was about class balance (certain specs being unviable, others being overpowered).

Now people complain about:

- flying/no flying
    - lack of community
    - spells/pruning
    - everything regarding current state of pvp
    - too much focus on raids
    - lfd/lfr
    - garrisons, gold being useless
    - content drought
    - still class balance

Off the top of my head, probably missed a bunch more very obvious ones.

Think the problem is everyone knows how much potential wow has, but very few people see it as living up to that (for whatever different reasons).

10+ Year Old Account
    I've usually been on the more unhappy end of things, but recently (~2 weeks into WoD) I've noticed that certain posters that used to Whiteknight Blizzard to Hell and back, even when the moderate ones would give ground, have now started to change their tone when it comes to Blizzard.

Current state of WoW is that players are whining entitled shits, and gaps in content just brings out the absolute worst in them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BreakerOfWills View Post
    Current state of WoW is that players are whining entitled shits, and gaps in content just brings out the absolute worst in them.
    Great post, wonderful argument, compelling & agreeable point.

I don't see how the amount of unhappiness could be at an all-time high when supposedly the game is dying anyway, nobody plays that crap any more and subs are so low that Blizzard doesn't even dare to publish actual numbers any more. To me it would seem more logical that the professional whiners just spend even more time whining than they used to because new content is scarce, they play way less and they're are done with the stuff they do way faster.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BreakerOfWills View Post
    While I completely agree with your assessment of the WoW player base, the fact still is that WoW is a subscription game and therefore one of the most expensive online games just to get access to. It is justified to ask what on earth has the last year of subscriptions bought us? When new content finally arrives, we have to pay for it separately.

This isn't a question of whether one or the other, Blizzard or the players, is right. Both suck pretty damn hard. The other is a group of whiny entitled people, and the other is a rip off drug dealer spewing lies after lies.

It's so bad that I almost think it has to be intentional. It's like blizzard wants everyone to quit wow, it's that fucking bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildberry View Post
    I've usually been on the more unhappy end of things, but recently (~2 weeks into WoD) I've noticed that certain posters that used to Whiteknight Blizzard to Hell and back, even when the moderate ones would give ground, have now started to change their tone when it comes to Blizzard.
    I've said this before, but one indicator for me was when Jaylock switched his troll-thread titles to "this game sucks, it's dying, the game is ending" to "this game is awesome and I love it" in order to bait people. A good litmus.

The fact is that all those issues listed in OP were either not present, or were at a MUCH lower level, in past expansions, but thanks to actively and exceptionally poor decisions are now big problems in WoD.

10+ Year Old Account
    The MMO-Champion community is horrible, (or maybe its the WoW community). Outside of the general Forums its pretty okay though. Legion forums is okay, the class forums are the same as they have ever been story forums pretty good.

I am happy with WoW. do I have problems with it, sure loads, but except I don't go on forums whining bout them. if the game ever gets to a point where it makes me that unhappy I'll just leave and never return. Its the same people who go on facebook and twitter whining about how life is unfair and what a bad day they had at work. NO ONE CARES!
    Last edited by Orby; 2016-04-08 at 04:49 PM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

It's not measurable by us. If anyone has any relevant and informed insight, it will be Blizzard's analysts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Content drought + least content expansion = unhappy people.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's really easy to believe everything is terrible, and it's a common misconception.

People are pretty happy and content. Millions are. The problem is that the people who are happy and content don't say anything (unless they're really emotional at the moment). The people who aren't, do. So you get a huge amount of backlash and feedback that is negative, but, when paired with the whole population, is actually pretty damn tiny.

10+ Year Old Account
    I voted bad but I am probably being to hard. The game is fine....they just are funneling everything into a small avenue right now. They need to broaden the game a bit more. WoD feels/felt too narrow. It doesn't feel like a world right now.

I have played the game for 10 years now though so that may have some bearing on it.

If your dog doesn't get enough exercise, he'll get bored and destroy your house.

The same thing apparently happens with WoW players.

MMO Champion forums are free. Terrible community.
    Nostalrius was free. Terrible community.

Freeloaders that have nothing but time on their hands are the reason why things feel this way. If they had jobs and didn't spend all day worrying about Blizzard and/or video games, things might be better.
    A crossfitter, a vegan, an atheist, and a vanilla WoW player all walked into a bar. I know because they all told me within 3 minutes.

World of Warcraft: Dying on MMO Champion since 2004

Pre-Alpha WoW tester since 2002.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    It's really easy to believe everything is terrible, and it's a common misconception.

People are pretty happy and content. Millions are. The problem is that the people who are happy and content don't say anything (unless they're really emotional at the moment). The people who aren't, do. So you get a huge amount of backlash and feedback that is negative, but, when paired with the whole population, is actually pretty damn tiny.
    To be fair, "happy" and "content" are not mutually inclusive. And with Blizz becoming secretive with the population of the game, we can't draw conclusions either way in regards to how the current playing majority feels.

What we can say, is that WoD brought the sub numbers from 10m to 5.5m as of Q3 2015. So nearly half of the playerbase that was here at the start of the expansion left.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildberry View Post
    Great post, wonderful argument, compelling & agreeable point.
    Well............it's kinda true.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Littleraven View Post
    I voted bad but I am probably being to hard. The game is fine....they just are funneling everything into a small avenue right now. They need to broaden the game a bit more. WoD feels/felt too narrow. It doesn't feel like a world right now.

I have played the game for 10 years now though so that may have some bearing on it.
    It hasn't felt like a world since Cataclysm, especially with all the queue crap, everyone just sits in a city and waits for a queue to pop, I mean seriously they should just tell the art team "Forget zones, just make a big city for people to sit in and wait for their queue"
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people - Martin Luther King, Jr.

If you've played any MMO or game half the time it's people pissing and moaning on the forums, regardless on how good or bad the state of the game is.
    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."

i think only a small part of the wow population actually contribute on forums, official or mmoc. most of the player base is wildly oblivious to the game and what has changed or is going to.

in chat lastnight someone didnt even know demon hunter was being added in legion ffs.

People have always been quick to voice their discontent on the forums. With WOD and Legion though it seems people are quicker to complain about ANYTHING they don't like rather than just dealing with it. I can understand the thought process: most people have been playing this game for a decade now and over time the amount of things you didn't like has exponentially increased most likely to a point where you just feel like everything Blizzard does now is terrible.

I just think there are not enough people out there who recognize that it's okay to be bored of or tired of the game and just walk away. Some people who play still complain endlessly, but a lot of people who complain especially on MMO-C don't even play anymore. Why they waste so much time and energy complaining and bitching about a game they don't even play anymore is beyond me.

Ultimately the state of the forums won't get better because as time goes on more people will just get tired of change and tired of all the things they disagreed with over the last decade. It's natural, and even I have started to feel a bit jaded with Blizzard as well. Hopefully I can stop and walk away before I reach the point where I am crying about no flying or something like that, though.
    Ixila of Forgotten Aspects - US Hyjal 13/13 Mythic Hellfire Citadel
    My YouTube kill vids!
    Ixila - Holy Paladin - Armory | Ixtide - Resto Shaman - Armory