Page 1 of 19
... LastLast

How can people still justify that the Gulf War was a "mistake"?

Besides the economical backlash from it, was there anything wrong with it? Why do people even associate it with terrorism when it was clearly explained in the media that it was because Hussain?

Edit:

The wars on Iraq would apparently be a better title.

Saddam became President of Iraq, Chairman of the Revolutionary Command Council, Prime Minister and General Secretary of the Regional Command of the Ba'ath Party in 1979, during a wave of anti-government protests in Iraq led by Shias. The Ba'ath Party, which was secular in nature, harshly repressed the protests. Another policy change was Iraq's foreign policy towards Iran, a Shia Muslim country. Deteriorating relations eventually led to the Iran–Iraq War, which started in 1980 when Iraq launched a full-scale invasion of Iran. Following the 1979 Iranian revolution, the Iraqis believed the Iranians to be weak, and thus an easy target for their military. This notion proved to be incorrect, and the war lasted for eight years. Iraq's economy deteriorated during the war, and the country became dependent on foreign donations to fund their war effort. The war ended in a stalemate when a ceasefire was reached in 1988, which resulted in a status quo ante bellum.

When the war ended, Iraq found itself in the midst of an economic depression, owed millions of dollars to foreign countries, and was unable to repay its creditors. Kuwait, which had deliberately increased oil output following the war, reducing international oil prices, further weakened the Iraqi economy. In response to this, Saddam threatened Kuwait that, unless it reduced its oil output, Iraq would invade. Negotiations broke down, and on August 2, 1990, Iraq launched an invasion of Kuwait. The resulting international response led to the Persian Gulf War, which Iraq lost. The United Nations (U.N.) initiated economic sanctions in the war's aftermath to weaken the Ba'athist Iraqi government. The country's economic conditions worsened during the 1990s, and at the turn of the 21st century, Iraq's economy started to grow again as several states ignored U.N. sanctions. In the aftermath of the September 11 attacks of 2001, the United States initiated a Global War on Terrorism, and labelled Iraq as a part of an "Axis of Evil". In 2003, U.S. coalition forces invaded Iraq, and the Ba'athist Iraqi government was deposed less than a month later.

-Wikipedia
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ba%27athist_Iraq
    Last edited by The Plague; 2016-04-08 at 05:39 PM.

Deathmaster of Defilers of Arathor - Emerald Dream - US

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably largely because the Iraqi army that became the insurgency that became ISIS.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is about the first gulf war?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Plague View Post
    Besides the economical backlash from it, was there anything wrong with it? Why do people even associate it with terrorism when it was clearly explained in the media that it was because Hussain?
    I strongly suspect you have the wrong race in your avatar, but on the off chance you don't... The Gulf War (which took place in 1991), was "a war in the Persian Gulf region waged by United States-led coalition forces from 34 nations against Ba'athist Iraq in response to Iraq's invasion and annexation of Kuwait."

While there are controveries involving the war, and there's been some criticism of decisions made during and after the war, it has not been widely described as "a mistake" anywhere. Are you perhaps thinking of the Iraq War that took place over a decade later? (If so, maybe start a new, different thread with a more accurate title?)
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    I strongly suspect you have the wrong race in your avatar, but on the off chance you don't... The Gulf War (which took place in 1991), was "a war in the Persian Gulf region waged by United States-led coalition forces from 34 nations against Ba'athist Iraq in response to Iraq's invasion and annexation of Kuwait."

While there are controveries involving the war, and there's been some criticism of decisions made during and after the war, it has not been widely described as "a mistake" anywhere. Are you perhaps thinking of the Iraq War that took place over a decade later? (If so, maybe start a new, different thread with a more accurate title?)
    I wasn't aware that Saddam Hussein's war wasn't the same conflict considering it's the same thing.

Wrong race? Sylvanas is THE leader of the forsaken.

The US invasion of Iraq you mean? What was the purpose?
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

I wasn't aware that Saddam Hussein's war wasn't the same conflict considering it's the same thing.

Wrong race? Sylvanas is THE leader of the forsaken.
    He means your avatar should have been a troll as in, he thinks you are trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    He means your avatar should have been a troll as in, he thinks you are trolling.
    How am I even trolling, I guess that word lost all meaning years ago...

How am I even trolling, I guess that word lost all meaning years ago...
    I'd rather not speak for another poster's intent but he can correct me if I screw up I guess. He thinks you may be trolling because you are possibly conflating two different wars and are raising a stink over the wrong one.

How does that thing go? @ringpriest?
    Last edited by Calfredd; 2016-04-08 at 05:33 PM.

Your thread title seems to indicate that you're talking about the first Iraq war, in 1991, but your post implies that you're talking about the second, in 2003. Which is it?

I'd rather not speak for another poster's intent but he can correct me if I screw up I guess. He thinks you may be trolling because you are possibly conflating two different wars and are raising a stink over the wrong one.
    "on August 2, 1990, Iraq launched an invasion of Kuwait. The resulting international response led to the Persian Gulf War, which Iraq lost. The United Nations (U.N.) initiated economic sanctions in the war's aftermath to weaken the Ba'athist Iraqi government. The country's economic conditions worsened during the 1990s, and at the turn of the 21st century, Iraq's economy started to grow again as several states ignored U.N. sanctions. In the aftermath of the September 11 attacks of 2001, the United States initiated a Global War on Terrorism, and labelled Iraq as a part of an "Axis of Evil". In 2003, U.S. coalition forces invaded Iraq, and the Ba'athist Iraqi government was deposed less than a month later."

I'll change the title, but I don't see why everyone is nitpicking when it's basically the same shit.

Deleted
    America is pretty much what germany was 1933-1945.

Quote Originally Posted by M-Ra View Post
    Not even close and I'm not even talking about Godwin's Law either.

Deleted
    Not even close and I'm not even talking about Godwin's Law either.
    Say that again when Trump is president.

Because it was a lie. Iraq did not have the WMD Bush claimed.

Sure, Iraq was a bad place, but it was a bad place because of US foreign policy supporting their dictator while it was convenient to do so.

Say that again if Trump is president.
    If indeed. We'll see in November.

A military industrial complex sought on invading to keep the cash flowing?

Well your not wrong.

Deleted
    George W. Bush literally created ISIS with his war on Iraq. And the reason (weapons of mass destruction) just was a lie.

Deleted
    Why would anyone think the Gulf war(s) were a mistake? How can you even ask such a question?
    Because it destabilized the whole region into a shithole over imagined WMD. Not sure what the first was about and I actually don't care, probably oil.

I'm still not clear which Gulf War we're talking about, but I do know that this:
    I'll change the title, but I don't see why everyone is nitpicking when it's basically the same shit.
    is incorrect. Ousting Iraq from Kuwait and leaving the regime in power is not the same as occupying Iraq and toppling the regime and replacing it with a convoluted mess.