How to cope with addiction to something unhealthy for you?

Long story short: I've been addicted to League of Legends for a good year and half now. By now, there's nothing left to achieve for me (already multi Diamond II player) and it's extremely physically and mentally distressing to me so I tried quitting through way of uninstalling and blocking it out of my mind. And while I do good for a few days at best, I inevitably relapse and the cycle starts again.

I want to break out of this issue, truly. But it's tough.

Boost me out of bronze.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Deleted
    Stop caving in and eventually you'll no longer feel the desire.

Doing something else that excites you will make it easier and make you forget about it.

Or you could always try to get to Master/Challenger.
    Last edited by mmocb78b025c1c; 2016-04-08 at 06:07 PM.

Uhmm...Well, depends on how far you're willing to go. If you always install it back, then...You'll need to break the computer, so you're unable to play it no matter what.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't reinstall it?

And honestly if you're Diamond II there is still stuff for you to achieve, cause you're not at the top.

This just seems like a pathetic attempt at a humblebrag.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    Stop caving in and eventually you'll no longer feel the desire.

Doing something else that excites you will make it easier and make you forget about it.
    well right now what keeps drawing me back even though I know it means nothing is if I don't enslave myself to it, my hard earned elo will decay from either inactivity or degenerating skill from lack of playing. Some part of my brain is unwilling to let that "hard work" go to waste and I can't help it while feeling I should.

I just REALLY want it out of my life though.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsugunai View Post
    well right now what keeps drawing me back even though I know it means nothing is if I don't enslave myself to it, my hard earned elo will decay from either inactivity or degenerating skill from lack of playing. Some part of my brain is unwilling to let that "hard work" go to waste and I can't help it while feeling I should.

I just REALLY want it out of my life though.
    try to get to Challenger!

yes.. yes.. give in

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    I mean you played LoL and now are addicted to it? I played it for 30 minutes and deleted it from my computer. In your case it is strictly psychological so you need to find something else to fill that time. It's like any other addiction it takes willpower and commitment to beat it. Least you don't have a chemical dependency like smoking.

Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    I mean you played LoL and now are addicted to it? I played it for 30 minutes and deleted it from my computer. In your case it is strictly psychological so you need to find something else to fill that time. It's like any other addiction it takes willpower and commitment to beat it. Least you don't have a chemical dependency like smoking.
    it certainly does feel like drug withdrawal. And what's more pathetic is every time I play it I'm never having fun and suffering. Yet I keep coming back.

Deleted
    You're not addicted to League I absolutely refuse to believe that.

If you don't want to play the game, uninstall and don't reinstall.

If you keep coming back then you either have nothing better to do or you want to play the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Breaking addictions is never easy. Usually the first 45 days are the worst and it takes a whole lot of willpower to avoid falling back into the cycle. You'll almost always having passing thoughts about doing the addictive behavior down the road but at that point you can just tell yourself that you don't need to do it and you'll be fine.

As someone who quit smoking three years ago the advice I can give you is to do something else when you have the urge to play LoL. Go outside....watch a movie....make a sandwich...anything that takes your mind off it. You have to be stronger than your addiction if you want to beat it....and as tacky as it sounds: in your head you gotta Just Say No!

When I came out from addiction, I needed a lot of willpower. If I came across any bad side effect, I reminded myself that it is only termporary and at the end, the addiction will be over if I don't give up.

I think finding something useful or joyful to do helps a lot. Try out new things, maybe you will find them a lot more useful or entertaining than you thought.

Go cold turkey, stop buying it and/or get rid of it.

Plz boost out of bronze even silver would be better than this hell.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Boost me out of bronze.
    I'll boost you to Wood V.

Destroy everything your account owns. That's what I had to do with WoW, get rid of my ridiculous cash stack. It might be possible to delete it entirely, I don't know the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Deleted
    Find something else to do to fill the fake void. Like with all mental addictions.

keep playing until you get sick of it, and when you do find something interesting to do, and get into that instead.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsugunai View Post
    How to cope with addiction to something unhealthy for you?
    Start by watching this:

Go get a job. Or a second source of income, if you already have one...one, it will be a productive means for you to fill your time. Two, it will give you some extra spending cash, you can afford to eat out at restaurants, not be short on cash on a regular basis, and not act bitter and entitled when you're not given a doughnut for free.

Good luck to you OP <3 <3 <3