Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I always had the opinion that oblivion aged worse graphically than morrowind but that can be fixed with a few basic mods at least.

Still worth playing though tided me over hundreds of house when it first came out.

I'd say yes. It shouldn't be painfully outdated like some other games either. Especially if you like playing a mage which in skyrim is very limited, buggy and hardcapped in terms of power.

Deleted
    Ah, one thing to add, lockpicking was annoying in Oblivion, so prepare for that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    Ah, one thing to add, lockpicking was annoying in Oblivion, so prepare for that.
    To be fair, it was much better system than one used in later games because it was actually skill based, rather than flat requirement per lock.

OT: Its definately worth picking up. While as some said, game definately didnt aged gracefully, it isnt as bad as some claim. There are some systems that may be weird, and enemy scaling is BS (don't play on too high difficulty, it just make game tedious), but the world is simply amazing and game has quite a few strong sides other than that. Still, morrowind is much better.

I have more hours in Oblivion than any other Elder Scrolls game, including their MMO.

Oblivion's Thieves' Guild is a better thief experience than the new Thief game.
    Oblivion's Dark Brotherhood Guild is a better assassin experience than any Assassin's Creed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Personally while I think the game overall has the best guild storylines, I can't play it anymore after playing Skyrim. You just level so slowly. My highest level character ever in Skyrim was level 12 and that was doing everything except The Shivering Isles. Never leveling up in an RPG just saps the fun out of it.

The game is really cool in many ways though.

10+ Year Old Account
    The stat system sucks in the older games before Skyrim. If you do decide to play Oblivion, make sure its on PC and get the mod where your Attributes will be upgraded by 5 points no matter which skills you leveled. You'll thank me later because getting the max point bonuses for each level without the mod is probably the most counterproductive shit I've ever done in a game.

This all assumes if you actually care about maxing your character as much as possible. I did, so I had to spend hours mapping out how I was going to get the +5 bonus for each attribute by leveling minor skills that are actually what you're character is going to be built as while your major skills you never level until you know you got the +5 bonus for each attribute.

I liked it better then Skyrim but the leveling/skill system is wacky as hell.

Deleted
    True, it does look dated, but of course it would, it came out a decade ago this year didn`t it?
    If you play it, you`ll (hopefully) get into the game & forget all about the graphics, but it is definitely worth modding up though.

Or do a search for Skyblivion. A group that are making Oblivion, in the Skyrim game. All quests, creatures, the whole thing & it looks good.

P.S. This bit in Oblivion always cracks me up

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ZachAttack View Post
    Debating on playing Oblivion the game. But its age concerns me. I have played Skyrim and loved it and I think Oblivion would be the same with clunky graphics.

Was hoping you folka could give me reasons to and to not play it? What are cool aspects of the game and what negative things are there?
    Long answer: Yes.

Short answer: No.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Velshin View Post
    I must say both the Dark Brotherhood and the thieves guild storyline are waaaay better in Oblivion than in Skyrim.
    Agree.

Overall for me it goes like this: Oblivion is a better RPG. Skyrim is a better action/adventure game with RPG elements.

It's a great game nevertheless, and yes, the age will show, but if you like a good RPG and don't mind spending a bit of time looking around in what mods you can use to improve your experience, it will likely be worth your time

The games with dynamic world always have worse graphic than ones with baked, static world. Oblivion is a good game, but only as far as Elder Scrolls go. There is too much pointless grinding in Elder Scrolls series.

10+ Year Old Account
    Idk why people here act like the guilds were any better in Oblivion than in Skyrim. They were both basically the same bad quests with shitty plotlines.

You should just play Oblivion for Shivering Isles because that's the best part of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Unless you're a hardcore Elder Scrolls fan then I would skip it. It was good for its time but its very dated, especially after playing Skyrim. If you must have that old school Elder Scrolls experience then I would recommend Morrowind.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

I preferred Oblivion to Skyrim. Mechanically, Skyrim is better, but I preferred the locations in Oblivion, I also think its stories were much better, especially the guild ones, Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood in Oblivion were outstanding.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelannerai View Post

Remember, legally no one sane takes Tucker Carlson seriously.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    Personally while I think the game overall has the best guild storylines, I can't play it anymore after playing Skyrim. You just level so slowly. My highest level character ever in Skyrim was level 12 and that was doing everything except The Shivering Isles. Never leveling up in an RPG just saps the fun out of it.

Wait what ? I mean...how ? Did you put all the worst abilities as your main ones, and never bothered to use them ?

Oblivion is a solid game. I'd say it's even better than Skyrim in some points. Factions are better. The world is mostly nice and lush compared to how barren most of Skyrim is. If you play a character with a main focus on physical combat along with some utility spells, it's the better game for you. Being able to cast spells no matter what combination of weapons you have is very nice. I hate having to sheathe something before I can cast a spell in Skyrim.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post

Oblivion is better at lower levels if you leave the game unmodded. Immersion goes down the drain the more you level up. But you just didn't spend choose your skills properly if you only get to level 12 after completing the base game. The leveling system in Morrowind and Oblivion are poorly executed though and I always ended up using (self-made) mods that adjusted stats automatically. I always hated having to go train some random skill before you leveled up another major/minor skill just to get a +5 modifier on your level-up screen.

Deleted
    Worth playing for the dark brotherhood quest alone.

Best quest in any TES, hands down.

Just don't level up any more than you have to, or mod the levelling system, its terrible.

Deleted
    I kiiinda wanna play this game again too but from what I remember, this game has massive balance and gameplay issues, so Id have to spend days modding it which is what scares me and why I keep pushing it forward.

10+ Year Old Account
    It has a Dark Brotherhood mission where you get to play who's the killer inside of a house which i always loved.
    "when i'm around you i'm like a level 5 metapod. all i can do is harden!"

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    The people who cry for censorship aren't going to be buying the game anyway. Censoring it, is going to piss off the people who were going to buy it.
    Barret: It's a good thing we had those Phoenix Downs.
    Cloud: You have the downs!