Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by p291u View Post
    Men place less importance on their appearance than women do on theirs for obvious biological/mating reasons. Women also have to consume less calories than men to maintain a healthy weight. It's for these reasons that women are more receptive to things like dieting. They target women because it works.
    This is generally true.

Appearance is a big deal for women.

For men, it's money and power.

Not politically correct to say but mother nature doesn't give a shit about political correctness.
    Internet forums are more for circlejerking (patting each other on the back) than actual discussion (exchange and analysis of information and points of view). Took me long enough to realise ...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Or don't drink fizzy pop
    Have you seen how much sugar is in fresh fruit juice or smoothies?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    Have you seen how much sugar is in fresh fruit juice or smoothies?
    There's other alternatives lol

10+ Year Old Account
    There's other alternatives lol
    Sure there is, water. But like I said in my original post, swapping out Original for Diet isn't ideal, but it's a lot better than not doing it. It's not just about 'fizzy pop'.

I thought Coca Cola Light was targeted at women, and Zero at men. I myself drink Zero and Pepsi Max myself, but that is more out of habit than anything else. Our house always only had diet cokes if we had anything due to my mom having diabetes, so I just prefer it over normal coke now.

15+ Year Old Account
    I agree Diet tastes awful, I do however know people who like it. Taste is subjective. Who knew? Also, they're not exclusively targeted at women - the 'Zero' and 'Max' brands are heavily targeted at men. They came about as a result of the difficulty in shifting focus from 30-40 years of targeting 'Diet' at women, because culturally, men worrying about their health and diet, has been very stubbornly been held to be unmanly. Is there not some fault in 'male reasoning' about eating enormous portion sizes as a 'challenge' or binging on energy drinks being 'manly'?
    Well what the product is or tastes like is actually not relevant at all. They are not gonna market any product as unhealthy or bad tasting. The different branding of zero compared to diet just proves that dieting is really not a male thing when both products are basically the same thing. And none of these drinks are actually good for your health or weight loss.

And no, I don't think that men are any better with social bullshit considering what's manly and whatnot. I'm just wondering if there's some fundamental difference in the way that women regard diets and the mind set of getting to a certain weight as fast as possible with no thought on the bigger picture. Maybe men are more likely to think about it logically.

Sure there is, water. But like I said in my original post, swapping out Original for Diet isn't ideal, but it's a lot better than not doing it. It's not just about 'fizzy pop'.
    No added sugar squash!

I gave up on fizzy juice a long time ago, I mean the fact it is purse sugar wasn't the only reason, fizzy stuff just plays havoc with my gut too.

I went strictly to water, but it gets boring, so squash is a good alternative, for a bit of flavour and near enough no sugar.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ghâzh View Post
    Well what the product is or tastes like is actually not relevant at all. They are not gonna market any product as unhealthy or bad tasting. The different branding of zero compared to diet just proves that dieting is really not a male thing when both products are basically the same thing. And none of these drinks are actually good for your health or weight loss.

And no, I don't think that men are any better with social bullshit considering what's manly and whatnot. I'm just wondering if there's some fundamental difference in the way that women regard diets and the mind set of getting to a certain weight as fast as possible with no thought on the bigger picture. Maybe men are more likely to think about it logically.
    Diets are terrible, and women are made to feel they should look and be a certain way, so diets are enticing, people want a quick fix, and a lot of diets are advertised in such a way to make people think that by doing so they will get the desired results, however a lot of these diets are a just that, a quick fix, do it for X time, lose a bit of weight, go back to your normal eating habits, and watch the weight go back on if not even more so.

I've tried a fair few diets over my 33 years ( before realising I was hoping for some miracle weight loss to happen that was not gonna happen or be able to be kept up), and the only thing that has worked, is being sensible, not fad diets, but changing my eating habits fully, to be stable healthy eating, and everything in moderation, and regular exercise. that is what works for me.

But don't believe it's just women that do these fad diets, I know plenty of men that do them too, they just aren't as targeted at men as they are at women.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glitch View Post
    No added sugar squash!

I gave up on fizzy juice a long time ago, I mean the fact it is purse sugar wasn't the only reason, fizzy stuff just plays havoc with my gut too.

I went strictly to water, but it gets boring, so squash is a good alternative, for a bit of flavour and near enough no sugar.

- - - Updated - - -

Diets are terrible, and women are made to feel they should look and be a certain way, so diets are enticing, people want a quick fix, and a lot of diets are advertised in such a way to make people think that by doing so they will get the desired results, however a lot of these diets are a just that, a quick fix, do it for X time, lose a bit of weight, go back to your normal eating habits, and watch the weight go back on if not even more so.

I've tried a fair few diets over my 33 years ( before realising I was hoping for some miracle weight loss to happen that was not gonna happen or be able to be kept up), and the only thing that has worked, is being sensible, not fad diets, but changing my eating habits fully, to be stable healthy eating, and everything in moderation, and regular exercise. that is what works for me.

But don't believe it's just women that do these fad diets, I know plenty of men that do them too, they just aren't as targeted at men as they are at women.
    Men just get told HIT THE GYM BRUH! Granted the homoerotism is appreciated but it is amusing seeing majority of men feeling like gym is mandatory for happiness

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Men just get told HIT THE GYM BRUH! Granted the homoerotism is appreciated but it is amusing seeing majority of men feeling like gym is mandatory for happiness
    Actually gyms are irrelevant. All men need is beer. It makes them happy and women like men more when they drink it. Just watch any beer commercial.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    Which are even worse for you than regular sugar.
    Prove it. Show me some peer reviewed evidence to support that claim. (and not just some piece of shit facebook post about "toxins").

Aye , agreed, Gym memberships used to be very directed at men, I think that's changed a little these last few years, though there is still that mentality towards the Gym being a more *manly* way of keeping fit in some mindsets.

Aerobics, step classes, yoga, jazzercise etc used to be pushed towards women, where as again, these days I feel alot of these varied forms of exercise are being more both gender accepted, which is fab! still a ways to go though, stereotyping is hard to get past.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    Prove it. Show me some peer reviewed evidence to support that claim. (and not just some piece of shit facebook post about "toxins").
    http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/...weeteners.aspx

BTW this isn't a link arguing against you

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/...weeteners.aspx

BTW this isn't a link arguing against you
    Yeah, I mean that's my point. None of the supposed horrors of artificial sweeteners have ever passed peer review. And peer review doesn't always filter bullshit, which means the apparent evil of artificial sweeteners is so far beyond bullshit that you can't even fudge it past peer review.

EDIT: That's not to say some artificial sweeteners don't come with side effects.

Most sugar alcohols make you gassy, for example. But if you're diabetic, you can safely consume certain sugar alcohols, whereas sugar will fucking kill you. So gas vs. insulin shock...hmm... tough choice.
    Last edited by Gheld; 2016-04-09 at 02:18 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well anyone who thinks Diet Coke is gonna help them combat obesity or in their weight loss is an idiot anyway. Diet Coke is no better than regular, If I want to harm my body I would eat/drink something that at least tastes good and refreshing.

Exercise + healthy diet habits = good body.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    Yeah, I mean that's my point. None of the supposed horrors of artificial sweeteners have ever passed peer review. And peer review doesn't always filter bullshit, which means the apparent evil of artificial sweeteners is so far beyond bullshit that you can't even fudge it past peer review.
    Personally I just don't like the taste of sweeteners - I do think though some people do go OTT about sugar too. Moderation is our friend

Quote Originally Posted by banestalker View Post
    Well anyone who thinks Diet Coke is gonna help them combat obesity or in their weight loss is an idiot anyway. Diet Coke is no better than regular, If I want to harm my body I would eat/drink something that at least tastes good and refreshing.

Exercise + healthy diet habits = good body.
    I'm interesting to hear the science behind this.

How a zero calorie sweetener that doesn't promote a blood insulin response is just as bad as sugar.

10+ Year Old Account
    I finally stopped drinking soda last year but I've generally preferred diet coke from fountain. I can't drink regular Coke at all.

Personally I just don't like the taste of sweeteners - I do think though some people do go OTT about sugar too. Moderation is our friend
    I personally find refined liquid sugar to be kind of gross. It's like... If you were to spill just a little bit of coca cola on your desk, it would leave a sticky fucking mess behind. If you were to dump an entire can of diet coke on your desk, it wouldn't leave any sensible residue at all.

15+ Year Old Account
    I actually moved from normal energy drinks to no sugar alternatives for the pure reason that I didn't like the spiking blood sugar I got and the eventual fall a few hours later. I feel a lot better as a result. Nothing to do with dieting, nothing to do with weight loss, just purely the lack of sugar that made the decision.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    It's coca cola... it's liquid diabetes in a can. And yes, it tastes like shit too.
    this.
    so much this.

Formerly known as Arafal