Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Angry My poor work ethic

It seems when they say American workers are lazy I'm the poster child. At the meeting went I'm working 60 hours per week,which is a pretty light work load these days. I'm currently getting Saturdays off but I feel somewhat guilty for taking those days off,I could be working those but I don't want to. What's wrong with me?

There's nothing wrong with you, you are amazing inside out.

I hope that was enough pity.

Sounds like herpes.
    I'm the root of all that is evil, yeah, but you can call me cookie.

60 hours a week is close to the American average. We are also the most productive workforce in the world.

I guess we're lazy because Conservatives tell us so.

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/...ematic/385931/

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    I work to live, i don't live to work.

If work was fun they would call it fun instead of work.

Quote Originally Posted by Piglord View Post
    Sounds like herpes.
    Actually while the above comment may have been in jest I can confirm that these are indeed symptoms of type 1 herpes simplex.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    If work was fun they would call it fun instead of work.
    Do we live to work or do we work to live? Nearly 10 percent of Americans have an hour or more of commute time to work each day, with a 50-60 hour work week. Might as well just strap a bed to the office cubicle.

Quote Originally Posted by The Great Mankrik View Post
    Actually while the above comment may have been in jest I can confirm that these are indeed symptoms of type 1 herpes simplex.
    Haha OP has herpes.
    I'm the root of all that is evil, yeah, but you can call me cookie.

10+ Year Old Account
    Since when is 60hrs a week "light"? Poor you.

Quote Originally Posted by Samarin View Post
    Since when is 60hrs a week "light"? Poor you.
    That would actually be quite a light work week if the OP worked in finance or consulting.

When your life sucks work, it gives you something to do, a purpose, and keeps your mind off of the ruin that is your life.

10+ Year Old Account
    Meh. I never say placing life value in the number of 40hrs you work per week, its all relative.

You can work 60 hours at a shit paying job or 60 hours at a well paying job.

60 hours at something you like or 60 at something you hate.

60 with no time to enjoy the fruits of your labor or 60 hours of slave labor.

Maybe you or your job is just highly inefficient?

The whole idea behind "you must work xx amount of hours to be an adult" is an idiom from a time 2 generations past when leisure time was boring and you had to clock in that many hours just to make ends meet.

Do you realize how much money we waste? How much money we throw around? Just fill the "40 hour a week" quota?

That 60 hours could go to someone looking to pick up 40 hours...hell even 30 hours.
    Last edited by PACOX; 2016-04-11 at 04:17 AM.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    I was not born in the US, but I now live here, so you can call me American, I guess... And I am lazy as a pig. On average, I work on my research, maybe, 3 hours a day. "Lazy Americans" is a silly stereotype, it all comes down to individuals.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    That would actually be quite a light work week if the OP worked in finance or consulting.
    I'm doing line work (factory) so probably equivalent.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    I was not born in the US, but I now live here, so you can call me American, I guess... And I am lazy as a pig. On average, I work on my research, maybe, 3 hours a day. "Lazy Americans" is a silly stereotype, it all comes down to individuals.
    3 hours a day is pretty good, unless you are graduating in May and have to defend your dissertation then or something lol. I assume you have responsibilities other than research.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ycarene View Post
    I'm doing line work (factory) so probably equivalent.
    Ha. At least you seem to have a sense of humor...I hope you're being paid hourly at least, and not salaried.

15+ Year Old Account
    3 hours a day is pretty good, unless you are graduating in May and have to defend your dissertation then or something lol. I assume you have responsibilities other than research.

- - - Updated - - -

Ha. At least you seem to have a sense of humor...I hope you're being paid hourly at least, and not salaried.
    Hourly,yes. I'm not sure what you mean by my sense of humor.

Quote Originally Posted by Ycarene View Post
    Hourly,yes. I'm not sure what you mean by my sense of humor.
    Well factory work is not really similar to finance or consulting work for a variety of reasons, even if the culture around hours worked is similar.

I work 37,5 hours a week, got 6 weeks of paid vacation and any sickness leave is also paid as is kids first day of illness.

You lazy american!

10+ Year Old Account
    I do, but those responsibilities currently are very episodic and, mostly, pretty light in load. My research partner, with whom we work in the same room, goes there for 6 hours a day 5 times a week (he skips some days though, so I'd say averagely he works for 25 hours a week), and most graduate students in our department work similar amount of hours, some working up to 10 hours a day 6 times a week. That said, I think I put in more effort in those 3 hours a day: when I'm working, I'm working, no MMO Champ, no Facebook, no Youtube, nothing, just music in headphones sometimes. While most other people spend half time browsing or chatting. So, perhaps, those 15 hours a week I work aren't too bad.

But I won't pretend or justify it in any way: I am, indeed, quite lazy, and I could work much harder than I currently do, producing more significant results. Unfortunately, my science adviser isn't very demanding, and, as long as I do my share of work weekly (which isn't too big), he leaves the rest to my discretion - and I rarely work more than I need, unless I am specifically interested in something.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.