Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Upgrading my CPU

Hey everyone, just had a couple questions for you guys. I currently have this setup:

CPU: i7 4770k OC'd to 4.27GHz
    Vid Card: NVIDIA GTX 970
    RAM: 16 gb of 3333 Corsair
    MOBO: MSI z87 Gaming
    Monitors: 3
    PSU: 1200 Corsair Gold Rated

I've been reading a bit about the 6700k and was wondering if it was worth upgrading to eventually. I do a lot of streaming and video editing, and have run into a couple of problems with my current setup that are detailed here: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...8#post39755908

I know i'll most likely have to buy new RAM, Mobo, and a CPU (obviously) to do this, which can be a bit pricey. Not sure if it's worth it at this point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Only upgrade for you is a 5820K or something higher than it. You won't even notice the 6700K upgrade coming from a 4770K.

Really? That's a shame. Least it saves me money!

You should upgrade your 4770k to 6700k if you are going to buy Pascal or Polaris card. Your current CPU is 3 year old technology and will heavily bottleneck new graphic cards. You should see probably 30-50% FPS increase in dx12 games with 6700k. Probably will double the fps at 4k resolution.
    Last edited by ryjkur; 2016-04-11 at 05:01 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by atenime45 View Post
    You should upgrade your 4770k to 6700k if you are going to buy Pascal or Polaris card. Your current CPU is 3 year old technology and will heavily bottleneck new graphic cards. You should see probably 30-50% FPS increase in dx12 games with 6700k. Probably will double the fps at 4k resolution.
    What now? Not in a million years.

CPU technology hasn't even remotely progressed that far to gain anything of the sort.
    Look at video compression speeds between them at the same clock speeds to give you a better performance gain.

But 30-50% and double at 4K? Not going to happen... I WISH it did but no.

I only play at 1080p, haven't had a reason to go 4k and honestly have other issues with my PC that 4k isn't even something I want to go towards atm.

No. Just no. Even 2500k's are still running strong today and upgrading from them is not a real increase in performance. Anything before that, yeah, needs an upgrade, but if you have an i5/i7 from that gen on up, a new CPU will net you at most 15% increase in CPU bound tasks. Probably closer to 5-10% in most cases.

Deleted
    Just gonna ask, are you using intel Quicksynch?

I'm fairly certain I am.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    No. Just no. Even 2500k's are still running strong today and upgrading from them is not a real increase in performance. Anything before that, yeah, needs an upgrade, but if you have an i5/i7 from that gen on up, a new CPU will net you at most 15% increase in CPU bound tasks. Probably closer to 5-10% in most cases.
    This. Even with a 2500K sandybridge you are still going to run modern games more than fine on high settings with some minimal OC and a decent air cooler (not stock).

People need to stop acting as if games really use that many cores, they don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    This. Even with a 2500K sandybridge you are still going to run modern games more than fine on high settings with some minimal OC and a decent air cooler (not stock).

People need to stop acting as if games really use that many cores, they don't.
    I think people need to realize that games makers want as much people as possible to buy/enjoy their games and cranking up requirements is counter productive to this.

Please don't give people false information.

a 2500k can run a 980ti very easily without a bottleneck.

Well the other reason I was thinking of upgrading is a slight problem I'm not sure how to fix.

I have 3 monitors running off of my 970 and my FPS in wow suffers. However in other games, Dark Souls 3 for instance, run flawlessly. However wow suffers huge FPS drops even on the lowest of settings and no addons on, no idea how to fix it. Even running only 1 monitor I run into the same issue, just slightly lesser. I know some people that have 970's that easily push 100fps majority of the time on high settings. Is something wrong with my configuration?

Quote Originally Posted by Djriff View Post
    Well the other reason I was thinking of upgrading is a slight problem I'm not sure how to fix.

I have 3 monitors running off of my 970 and my FPS in wow suffers. However in other games, Dark Souls 3 for instance, run flawlessly. However wow suffers huge FPS drops even on the lowest of settings and no addons on, no idea how to fix it. Even running only 1 monitor I run into the same issue, just slightly lesser. I know some people that have 970's that easily push 100fps majority of the time on high settings. Is something wrong with my configuration?
    Likely the fact that you are running 3 monitors. The maximum digital resolution on the 970 is 5120x3200. 3 monitors at 1080p exceeds that. Not sure why it is behaving similarly with only 1 monitor though.

When you tried with just one monitor did you unplug the other monitors from the PC an reboot first?

Also, what version of Windows are you running and do you have current drivers?

Was the GPU an upgrade and did you use a tool to completely remove old drivers first if it was?

15+ Year Old Account

As it so happens there are multiple people with the same issue ranging from nVidia to AMD cards.
    And it's very specific where most others have 0 issues others stutter or get low FPS for no explicable reason.

What you MAY try is something like this if you can find it for nVidia cards:
    http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/...-download.html

This stuff deals with most of the issues you're describing, unfortunately I have not had such issue with the GTX 980, GTX 980 Ti and R9 390X I have in close proximity to me.

Well the weird thing is that I use to have a 770 and had the same problems. I did notice a slight improvement with my 970, but nothing huge like I was expecting.

I'll try and find something like that. Only reason I stuck with NVIDIA is I was unimpressed with my last AMD card.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Likely the fact that you are running 3 monitors. The maximum digital resolution on the 970 is 5120x3200. 3 monitors at 1080p exceeds that. Not sure why it is behaving similarly with only 1 monitor though.

When you tried with just one monitor did you unplug the other monitors from the PC an reboot first?

Also, what version of Windows are you running and do you have current drivers?

Was the GPU an upgrade and did you use a tool to completely remove old drivers first if it was?
    I did not know that was the max resolution, however even with 1 monitor it shouldn't be an issue.

I did a complete shutdown before I unplugged anything from the PC.

I'm running Windows 10 and I have current drivers and updated my BIOS just last week.

Yes the GPU was an upgrade(see above) and no I did not do that (not sure how) but I did a fresh install of windows when I put it in.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's probably one of those obscure clocking problems with WoW, when the card decides that the game is too light and clock itself down. But doesn't respond fast enough when it's indeed needed resulting in abysmal framerates.

Try some of those programs that lock your GPU in a chosen clock and you should be fine.

Well the weird thing is that I use to have a 770 and had the same problems. I did notice a slight improvement with my 970, but nothing huge like I was expecting.

I'll try and find something like that. Only reason I stuck with NVIDIA is I was unimpressed with my last AMD card.

I did not know that was the max resolution, however even with 1 monitor it shouldn't be an issue.

I did a complete shutdown before I unplugged anything from the PC.

I'm running Windows 10 and I have current drivers and updated my BIOS just last week.

Yes the GPU was an upgrade(see above) and no I did not do that (not sure how) but I did a fresh install of windows when I put it in.
    It wouldn't matter if you went to a 980ti, WoW would not see very large improvements from just a GPU Upgrade, even a card like mine, a GTX 960, is capable of maxxing out pretty much all of WoW. The CPU is a much more limiting factor, but your's should not be having these issues.

The specs are here:
    http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desk...specifications
    I've noticed this before, where it will say it can support up to 4 monitors, yet the max resolution it supports is not enough for 4 monitors at 1080p. It's kinda odd, but I guess it makes some sense.

Well, a fresh install of Windows will certainly make sure there are no remnants of old drivers behind, lol, so you should be fine there.

I would look in to what EvilDuffy(inside joke)/Artorius recommended, something to keep your GPU from downclocking while it is waiting on data from the CPU for WoW.

Any recommendations for a good clock speed for a 970? Google isn't really turning up anything. Also best program for it?

Did a couple benchmark tests with Kombustor, 115 FPS with 3 monitors, 121 with 2, 125 with 1. All at 1920x1080. No stuttering in clock speeds at all from the monitor at least.

Ok i really don't get it. CPU usage is only at 70% on 1 core, rest are ~ 30%.
    This is 3 monitors:

This is 1 monitor:

Absolutely no addons at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    CPU usage is pretty normal, WoW does most of its things at a single thread. Secondary thread deals with sound, chat and other minor things but that's really it.