Thread: The gym thread

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Triks View Post
    You don't plateau because of the volume, you plateau because you lack volume and you have high intensity. With SS and SL you end up working with your current 5RM and for a lot of people that becomes too much. Check out what Dr. Mike Isratel, Greg Nuckols and Paul Carter - REAL EXPERTS - have to say about training volume and how % in training should be handled before you call me "ignorant".

That said, if you continue to act like a spoiled little brat I am not going to answer to your posts. I made this thread for people to discuss, learn and play around different ideas. I don't want this to degrade into a dick-measuring contest or anything stupid like that.
    No, you plateau because these are linear progression programs and linear progression programs only work during the period of noob gains. I don't care what 3 random people said, there is a wide near consensus among the lifting community that SS (and it's variants such as SL) is among the best, if not the best, program for a beginner. Again, if you and your "experts" know so much then how come so many people (such as myself) make killer gains on such programs?

I call you out because you spread stupid misinformation to beginners who don't know better. It's one of the biggest issues in the fitness world that makes it really hard for people to pick apart real training advice and broscience. I'm not the kid making sweeping statements like "avoid SL at all costs" who doesn't even know how the program works and has had shitty training progress (a clear sign you don't know what you're doing).

Quote Originally Posted by Allerius View Post
    No, you plateau because these are linear progression programs and linear progression programs only work during the period of noob gains. I don't care what 3 random people said, there is a wide near consensus among the lifting community that SS (and it's variants such as SL) is among the best, if not the best, program for a beginner. Again, if you and your "experts" know so much then how come so many people (such as myself) make killer gains on such programs?

I call you out because you spread stupid misinformation to beginners who don't know better. It's one of the biggest issues in the fitness world that makes it really hard for people to pick apart real training advice and broscience. I'm not the kid making sweeping statements like "avoid SL at all costs" who doesn't even know how the program works and has had shitty training progress (a clear sign you don't know what you're doing).
    It's only a wide consensus on the Internet and from the pictures I have seen and the questions I have seen being asked, well, I am not the one who "doesn't know what he is doing". I didn't touch these programs and in the first 8 months I had better results than most people that run them without moving up weight classes. In September I will be a year and my current stats are 4 plate squat, 105kg bench and 190 DL at 72kg. I could have done what a bunch of demagogues are spouting or I just decided to train with people who know what the fuck they are doing.

Now riddle me this - why is Medhi weaker than some of the guys I train with, despite lifting longer than them? Why is Rippetoe saying that Oly lifters should low-bar squat? Why is he teaching the power-clean in a retarded way? How many athletes - legit powerlifters, oly lifters and bodybuilders - have they produced? These programs are general templates and nothing more. If you want to learn how to lift then go join a reputable gym and learn from the people who know what they are doing - that's the message I have been trying to drill into people in this thread.

Deleted
    edit: troll
    Last edited by mmoc0b118a6a18; 2016-06-29 at 01:10 PM. Reason: troll

most main in bodybuilding is right meals plan and regular exersice. no sport nutrition or anabolics but meal and gym

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by fererow View Post
    most main in bodybuilding is right meals plan and regular exersice. no sport nutrition or anabolics but meal and gym
    what do you mean sorry?

Quote Originally Posted by Triks View Post
    I made this thread because going in and training is something I enjoy. I won't give you the BS that it makes a man out of you or that it teaches you discipline - it doesn't - but I really do think that it is a hobby that has a lot of positives and that if you decide to take it up you won't be mistaken.

This thread is open for lifters of all experience levels and it's a place to get new workout ideas and advice from other guys and gals. By no means am I an expert and I don't want to be viewed as such. I am just an office jockey that likes to powerlift.

Newbies

If you have no idea what you are doing and are just getting started stick to the basics. To lose or gain weight you should monitor your calories. If you burn more than you consume you will lose weight, if you eat more than you burn you will gain weight. For now don't bother with things such as keto, carb-cycling, intermitent fasting or paleo. I am not saying they don't work but you currently don't know how your body reacts to certain foods.

I will give you myself as an example - I can safely run keto for about 3 months because I can eat eggs, peanuts, spinach, chicken and cheese without becoming too acidic, getting heartburn or indigestion. Some may not and the thought of eating 10 eggs would be awful for them.

Don't worry about supplements. If you want to pick a jug of protein powder or whatever I am not going to judge you but I don't think it is necessary. Just nail down your eating and stick to a good program for about 4-6 months. Speaking of which the following are good places to start:

Greyskull LP
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqu3...&nohtml5=False

Starting Strength
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7w7D...&nohtml5=False

Powerlifting To Win Novice Program
    http://www.powerliftingtowin.com/

These programs aren't magic and are not the be-all-end-all of lifting, it's just that simple linear progression is idiot-proof and is better than the usual bro splits that are going around. If you want a good base Greyskull is the place to start. Starting Strength gets a bad rep because idiots end up drinking a gallon of milk and get fat while PTW's novice program is great if you specifically want to get into powerlifting.

Avoid at all cost Strong Lifts and ICF 5x5 they are virtually the same program and I think it's a shitty way to train in general.

After 6 months if you want more powerlifting you can do:

Candito's LP
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uo19...&nohtml5=False

The Texas Method
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEoh...&nohtml5=False

Or just continue with what Izzy has written

Bulking and Cutting

Generally speaking, the mirror should be the thing that decides what you do first. If you are skinnyfat or just plain fat you should first until you reach 10%-12% BF. If you are skinny you need to bulk.

Bulking should not be viewed as a free ticket to gorge like a pig but a controlled phase where you build strength and muscle. Generally don't go for more than 8% of your current body weight. In practical terms, if I am 74 kg (which I am) the most I should aim for is 80-81 kg so that I can drop down to my competition weight when needed and so that I don't pack on too much fat.

I strongly believe that the gym is something that should enhance your life and not take away from it. Getting fat so you can lift 5kg more is just retarded and misses the point of it all - to look good and feel good.

With that out of the way, my stats:

Squat 140kg
    Bench 90kg
    Deadlift 160kg
    Current weight:74 kg
    Height: 192cm
    Training:Got fat doing ICF and wasted a year, started training again last August so 8 months more-or-less
    Aims: To compete in powerlifting next September
    Current program: PIP 1 but modified to incorporate more volume, I can't get enough work done with just the competition lifts.

You are 192 cm. Weight is 74 kgs. and you are.. squatting 140 kgs..? I cant believe that man.

Herald of the Titans Drunkenfinn's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatbeaverlol View Post
    You are 192 cm. Weight is 74 kgs. and you are.. squatting 140 kgs..? I cant believe that man.
    140kg is not that much, though.

His stats seem pretty okay for his size, though he should defo weight a bit more being that tall :P

Been doing Reg Park's routine for getting back into lifting, it's hard as hell if you're new but it is really building results.

http://oldschooltrainer.com/reg-parks-beginner-routine/

I have been in bulking mode for like 5 months and gained about 10kg. It's time to lose some weight, cutting diet
    http://worldofhealthytips.com/

Hello. Cutting diet it`s very cool.

SS is probably the best program out there for learning the core lifts or getting back into weightlifting. I added 75lbs to my bench and around 150lbs to deadlift and squat very quickly on it. Word to the wise though, unless you are a 16yr old male or 140lbs don't listen to Rippetoe's diet advice. You will just end up a fat lard.

I usually start with basic exercises then move on to dumbells to build muscles. During workouts I drink about 1 liter water to make sure body doesn't dehydrate.

Grunt
    5+ Year Old Account
    Nice advice for newbies