Compatibility Help

I currently bought an Asus Z170 Pro Gaming mother board. I need confirmation that, Sandisk SD8SN8U-1T00-1122 X400 1TB M.2 2280 Solid State Drive, will work with it. Im trying to eliminate a mechanical drive completely.
    Any help is appreciated.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you have a M2 slot then it should work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you trying to eliminate a -mechanical- drive, or a 'loose' drive? Personally I wouldn't get that particular unit. And there aren't huge benefits (for the cost) for getting the M.2 drive.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Are you trying to eliminate a -mechanical- drive, or a 'loose' drive? Personally I wouldn't get that particular unit. And there aren't huge benefits (for the cost) for getting the M.2 drive.
    Yes, as stated, I am trying to not have a mechanical at all. This M.2 I can get for less than 300 shipped.

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-SD8SN8...LF2HAVZFED#Ask

Biggest benefit I like is no wires, and I can completly remove all the HD bays in my Corsair C70 using an M.2 of this size.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Torao View Post
    Yes, as stated, I am trying to not have a mechanical at all. This M.2 I can get for less than 300 shipped.

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-SD8SN8...LF2HAVZFED#Ask

Biggest benefit I like is no wires, and I can completly remove all the HD bays in my Corsair C70 using an M.2 of this size.
    I was confused because "Mechanical" drive is an HDD. SSD's are not mechanical drives.

That said, you can get a much better (both in quality and price) by sticking to standard format. If price is an issue. A crucial BX200 960GB is $200 right now (for 4 more hours apparently)
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

I was more so trying to avoid the wires needed to hook up a standard SSD for a cleaner look. But with M.2 being either B or M slot. My biggest question is since this M.2 I am looking at is B&M notched, will it work in my Asus Z170 Pro? Since my MB only has one notch
    But your suggestion for the Crucial BX200 960GB isn't a bad price at all!

My apologies for seeming uninformed, this is actually my first build from start to finish so just getting all the info i can.

10+ Year Old Account
    Looking at the board, it appears to be M Keyed
    Asus' Website also states it is M Keyed

That said, I believe B&M Keyed drives are compatible with both

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Looking at the board, it appears to be M Keyed
    Asus' Website also states it is M Keyed

That said, I believe B&M Keyed drives are compatible with both
    Thank you, I'll give the M.2 a try see how it goes. I just really prefer the clean look, less wires the better

Quote Originally Posted by Torao View Post
    I currently bought an Asus Z170 Pro Gaming mother board. I need confirmation that, Sandisk SD8SN8U-1T00-1122 X400 1TB M.2 2280 Solid State Drive, will work with it. Im trying to eliminate a mechanical drive completely.
    Any help is appreciated.
    You should go with the Samsung Pro 950. It's M2. and NVME I use it in my asus z170 board. Much faster than SATA type SSDs.
    Can't post links yet.

Quote Originally Posted by graysoniv View Post
    You should go with the Samsung Pro 950. It's M2. and NVME I use it in my asus z170 board. Much faster than SATA type SSDs.
    Can't post links yet.
    I've already ordered http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-SD8SN8...LF2HAVZFED#Ask

I've been reading you have to set it up in the BIOS somehow to be able to load windows to it and make it the bootable drive. I may have to take the PC in someplace when the M2 arrives to get help with that part. Not sure of any of that.

Deleted
    Just be sure to have the bios updated first and you might not have to do anything. If you do have to set it up, its easy as well, go to bios set the boot priority, to boot first from the m2 and done.

Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    Just be sure to have the bios updated first and you might not have to do anything. If you do have to set it up, its easy as well, go to bios set the boot priority, to boot first from the m2 and done.
    Got the M2 in today, plugged it in and everything was good, didn't have to mess with the BIOS at all. Now I just need to look up how to OC properly so I don't burn anything out lol