Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Why is it so difficult for people to walk away?

How many shit games have you purchased over the years?

How much time did/do you spend trying to convince other people to hate it to?

I mean I used to be into gaming a lot more than I am today, mainly when I worked at Gamestop. I had every console and I played most games the week of release.

But I played some REALLY bad games, poor controls, terrible graphics, too long, too short, poor story, no real direction...etc. But you know what I did? I traded it back in and never looked back. I might have a 5 min conversation with someone on how bad it was. But I didn't go out of my way to make sure that no one ever purchased it again EVER! Nor did I berate people for wanting to buy it, "Oh you picked up Alien vs Predator... what are you an idiot, so bad! I bet your friends call you Baddy McBad."

Just go... wash your hands, and never think about it again.

10+ Year Old Account
    I haven't really found a game i actively hated everything just needs the right frame of mind really :S

For many, especially in the case of WoW, it's addiction.

That's why you see so many people that are ragging on the game still playing the game.

They're addicted and can't let go.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Namalia View Post
    For many, especially in the case of WoW, it's addiction.

That's why you see so many people that are ragging on the game still playing the game.

They're addicted and can't let go.
    that explains the state of these forums :P

I quit half way into Cata and didn't come back till WoD... does the mind some good
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

In other words, you don't want to read opinions on the game that are different to your own?

WoW is more of a hobby than a game, which means people tend to be a bit more personally invested in it than games you only play once or twice. If they have criticisms why should they not post about them on a forum?

As much as some people would like it to be, MMO Champion isn't a safe space for over-sensitive WoW addicts to reinforce their addiction free from any negative opinions about the game.

MMOs aren't like the latest Call of Duty. You play MMOs daily for years; logging-in becomes habit. You grow invested in and identify with your characters, and you make friends in-game. The games themselves are designed for retention; skinner-box reward systems abound. All these things make it very difficult to quit, even when you aren't actually enjoying yourself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Partysaurus Rex View Post
    How many shit games have you purchased over the years?
    I've stopped doing that. Even if I don't agree 100% with any one reviewer, there are enough of them out there making enough good points that I have a very good feel whether I'll like a game, or not, before buying it.

Deleted
    Oh look another hasty generalization fallacy. If I had a nickel...

Your talking about video games in general, sounds like this thread is in the wrong section.

I can't really relate to this issue, I do quite some research before purchasing a full priced game whether its to my liking or not. I did so before buying Witcher 3 and having a blast so far... and I did so with Watch Dogs and that game isn't that great, I guess I fell in the hype train.

I don't share the mentality to spread this word around that nobody shouldn't like the game I don't like. I've had people asking me if Watch Dogs is good and I was just like ''alright for what it is, but nothing great''.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    I haven't really found a game i actively hated everything just needs the right frame of mind really :S
    That Conan MMO was utter tripe. "oooh but it has boobies though"... meh.

With a game like WoW, which is always evolving and changing, I think a lot of people hold onto hope that the game that they once loved will change back to its former glory.

Plus there are a lot of emotions involved with MMOs and things you love. It's asking why people keep checking the facebook status of the ex-girlfriend that cheated on them 3 years ago after dating for 5 years. Emotions are hard!

Deleted
    Because we are capable of forming attachments to almost everything and in this case it's with a game that for many became something more than just another video game they play. I agree that it's better to move on from something you no longer like, but some still hope it might change to what it once was and they have all the right to be upset and voice their opinion on the matter.

The game will always disappoint someone, some people will walk away, others will try to do something about it, neither of them are in the wrong. If people want to spend their days venting on forums about a game, then let them, it's their choice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jibjub View Post
    With a game like WoW, which is always evolving and changing, I think a lot of people hold onto hope that the game that they once loved will change back to its former glory.
    After so many expansions you would think it would fairly easy to predict development direction and whether or not that was the case. But to keep playing a game you hate NOW because you loved it 10 years ago sounds a little, well... psychotic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jibjub View Post
    Plus there are a lot of emotions involved with MMOs and things you love. It's asking why people keep checking the facebook status of the ex-girlfriend that cheated on them 3 years ago after dating for 5 years. Emotions are hard!
    There is far too much attachment there then.

I mean I spent days playing pokemon. I think at one point I had 180 days total. Why is an mmo any different?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Raego View Post
    The game will always disappoint someone, some people will walk away, others will try to do something about it, neither of them are in the wrong. If people want to spend their days venting on forums about a game, then let them, it's their choice.
    I think you miss the point. There are plenty of bad games out there. Why waste time on THIS one. Why don't people go on a smear campaign for THOSE games.

Deleted
    I think most people can find a gem let in WoW. I know for me its raiding but its gotten to the point where that is it... I have had more fun on a tbc private server then any other point in WoD save mythic raiding.

So long as people get their one thing I think they tend to stay subbed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because it just so happens I want to play an MMO and I find WoW to be superior to every other one I've played to date. Controls, performance, gameplay, and cost are the biggest factors. And then you have content, which WoW is severely lacking because they keep replacing previous additions, rather than adding upon. They also continue to dumb everything down and speed up the rate at which you reach the end. That current end being stuck in the loop of log on -> raid -> log off. Or if you don't raid, you have your garrison table, old raids, and arenas. Great stuff. Very social. Would do another thousand times.

I'll take it from my experience, and it's from the game Star Wars Galaxies and what went down with that game. (And if there's any veterans of it they know what's up)

Honestly it came from the community and the game play, but to be fair SWG was a game driven by community and the players in comparison to WoW. That being said I really enjoyed the game and it didn't help I'm a big fan of Star Wars. I played as Bounty Hunter, killed Jedi (which were the only players you could hunt at the time) and had fun with my partners in crime as I got death threats, yes death threats, killing people.

But then the "combat upgrade" happened, it wasn't awful, balanced out the game the other old schoolers said it killed it, but honestly it brought more people in. But then you had the New Game Enhancement (NGE) which pretty much killed the game. And while I'm not trying to sound deep when I say this, but it's like watching a close friend that just starts moving apart from you slowly.

Some people it's easy to just go "yeah well that sucks moving on", for others it's mainly the time spent and good memories from the game which makes it difficult to quit and move on, because truthfully the reason why I stuck around I think about 4 months after the NGE was hoping to grasp at those good times or hoping new ones would pop up. (Which some did when they opened up bounty hunting on every player.)

At the end of the day it's people hoping to relive the same old experiences, but in truth you have this nagging feeling you won't, but you keep telling yourself "they'll change it back, etc etc". It's why after SWG I just said never again. It's why I've quit WoW a few times (mainly to play other games or do other things that were more entertaining at the time, or just burn out), and it's why if Blizzard ever screws the pooch I'll be gone.
    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."

Deleted
    People have put in a huge time investment into WoW, not many are trying to make others hate WoW. That sounds more like a fanboy mentality: "They don't agree with me, they must try and make me hate something I enjoy! Bastards!". Most people would rather not throw the investment away and keep enjoying the game. Like many here have stated the game has turned into just enjoying one aspect of the game and logging off. I don't feel like that's what MMORPG should be about. If that was the case, why not just make a game like Diablo 3 or The Division where you mostly focus on one aspect and grind on it till end of the world.

I tried to find that aspect myself, but due to a lot of people simply leaving the game understandably, I've lost three Mythic guilds so far, for each of them I rolled new class and role to suit their needs. Each time I ended up starting from scratch, none of them really collapsed for any other reason except that people simply find nothing to do outside of raid nights.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Partysaurus Rex View Post
    I think you miss the point. There are plenty of bad games out there. Why waste time on THIS one. Why don't people go on a smear campaign for THOSE games.
    Who says they don't.
    But I think it's more common for games like WoW because you don't just play it for a few weeks and then move on, it requires a lot of commitment compared to most other games which in turn leads to greater attachment towards it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    That Conan MMO was utter tripe. "oooh but it has boobies though"... meh.
    I enjoyed the starter island and talent trees