Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    You can enjoy old content, levelling a Priest up through old content now.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    "This game is shit it has no content, we want legacy servers that give us the same content we had 10 years ago that also won't gain any new content"

The contradiction is amazing.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by taliey View Post
    Haven't seen anything even close to resembling 'you're not allowed to enjoy old content.'
    So, Blizzard/other players telling me... "you won't be happy, you won't enjoy it. Trust us, it's just nostalgia, take off the rose-tinted glasses!"

Is not essentially saying I can't enjoy old content?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jack Flash View Post
    "This game is shit it has no content, we want legacy servers that give us the same content we had 10 years ago that also won't gain any new content"

The contradiction is amazing.
    You didn't read the initial post, did you?
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    I enjoyed old content well enough when it was relevant. I don't like the idea of going back, I'd rather have something new.
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Well, to be fair, that is what it is.

But what has happened is that everyone has made that out to seem negative and bad. It isn't. Nostalgia helps people reconnect to things they're not connected to now, and there is no reason not to enjoy it.
    How do you know that's what it is? I prefer NES over PS4 because I liked it better, not for nostalgias sake it is just my preference.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people - Martin Luther King, Jr.

But what has happened is that everyone has made that out to seem negative and bad. It isn't. Nostalgia helps people reconnect to things they're not connected to now, and there is no reason not to enjoy it.
    It is nostalgia until you have what you are longing for, and people do have access to this kind of nostalgia. It no longer becomes nostalgia but instead something they actually prefer to play.

You're allowed. If anyone says you aren't, don't pay them any attention. They are trying to make you as miserable as they are.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seefer View Post
    So if you fell in love with someone and they had to go away but you met 10 years later, were still available.........you shouldn't be together because screw reliving good times and trying to make new ones?
    If you planned to do all the exact same things you had already done then yes, sorry but that is one poor comparison. Old games don't get updates, the stories don't change, it's just you re-living the good times.

Deleted
    In sense of WoW, if the player is veteran than older content is something that they did a lot of times already and it may seem a good idea to go back and try it again, than you realize there is not much to explore, there is no reward at all and also the toolset of your character totally changed and it won't even work like it did back in the days when it was actual content.
    If the player is not veteran, than older content won't be boring because of the repeated visits in the past, but the actual realization of the content will be obsolete. Current mechanisms might be more complex and interesting, graphic is way better, and also they won't get any reward.
    While there is a little interest in going back, a lot of facts goes against enjoing it like a new content.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    So, Blizzard/other players telling me... "you won't be happy, you won't enjoy it. Trust us, it's just nostalgia, take off the rose-tinted glasses!"

Is not essentially saying I can't enjoy old content?

- - - Updated - - -

You didn't read the initial post, did you?
    No, those responses are usually to those who insist that somehow Vanilla is superior just because.

Most people won't deny you that you won't enjoy it for some time. It's the argument that what Vanilla had to offer is somehow superior to what we have now.
    Whoever loves let him flourish. / Let him perish who knows not love. / Let him perish twice who forbids love. - Pompeii

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Magnus View Post
    If you planned to do all the exact same things you had already done then yes, sorry but that is one poor comparison. Old games don't get updates, the stories don't change, it's just you re-living the good times.
    Oooooh, so I can't make new memories by playing with new people? Making new friends? Trying different classes I never tried during those times? Also with the rekindling an old flame? You can do the same things but you can do new ones as well making new memories.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people - Martin Luther King, Jr.

10+ Year Old Account
    OP the games you listed above are very different from WoW. Those games are single titles that don't have living, breathing, and continuing stories. Ocarina of Time is just Ocarina of Time. FFVII is JUST FFVII. WoW is an MMORPG with a living and breathing world. As far as I knew when I started playing late vanilla that yes, it was going to change over time with expansion packs. I anticipated that.

And AFAIK, most of the old content is still in game. They haven't removed it.

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    But you aren't really. Firstly, a good majority of vanilla was washed away when cataclysm released. Also, since you are leveling a priest, go get Benediction/Anathema. Oh, you cant, the best tier one raid priest weapon, like the hunter bow/staff, have been removed from the game due to Cataclysm.

With out a dedicated server actually running in vanilla/bc/wotlk you can not truly play those expansions as intended.

I think Blizzard is basing their conclusion that players don't really want legacy servers based off of two things. The first being that creating a legacy server is admission that your MMO is dying/dead and you are simply trying to squeeze every last cent from it. Secondly, most games that have implemented a legacy option(Everquest) it didn't actually go over so well. The initial response was astounding but died off quickly.

Now, I LOVED WoW in Vanilla/BC. But not because of the content. The grinds of them SUCKED....horribly..... But the community, sense of accomplishment and relationships built is what made that era of the game so amazing. Bringing together 40 people from all over to work together and tackle MC, BWL, AQ, Kara, ZA, etc... Was what made WoW fun. But, Blizzard felt that the social aspect of a Massive, Multiplayer Online game wasn't necessary and everyone should be able to do everything with the push of a button. There for destroying what makes an MMO unique from a single player dungeon crawler.

I still enjoy WoW but the game has not been the same and will never return to what it was as long as there is no reason for people to interact with each other.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by istheshiz View Post
    OP the games you listed above are very different from WoW. Those games are single titles that don't have living, breathing, and continuing stories. Ocarina of Time is just Ocarina of Time. FFVII is JUST FFVII. WoW is an MMORPG with a living and breathing world. As far as I knew when I started playing late vanilla that yes, it was going to change over time with expansion packs. I anticipated that.

Old raids are, but to say they haven't changed the leveling, the zones, and the dungeons is an outright lie.

Leveling a priest in the current expansion and leveling a priest in Vanilla are not even remotely similar.
    3DS Friend Code: 1891-2236-0134

Except for a very small number of people, namely dedicated speedrunners, no one spends weeks or months or years on end playing the same static game. If the urge to play an old classic pops up, they play it until they finish it or it gets stale, then move on to something else.

The same thing would happen with an official, for-pay classic server. A lot of people would come on to relive some old memories at first, then the vast majority would leave after getting their fill. The number of people that are going to grind all the way to max level and face an endgame consisting of a handful of simplistic raids with the promise of no future content to come will be extremely small.

People keep correcting you in regards to that, yet you still spew the same argument over and over again, thread after thread.

No. It is not.

Vanilla (or TBC for that matter) by itself is an amazing game with pros and cons in regards to the current version.

Some people (a lot actually) like the old version of the game a lot more, stop beating the dead horse, seriously.

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seefer View Post
    Old raids are, but to say they haven't changed the leveling, the zones, and the dungeons is an outright lie.
    That is completely beside the point.
    Blizzard offers a service, the ability to play and enjoy whatever content they are offering, for 15 a month. They are welcome to change leveling, zones, dungeons, whatever. It's their content. They own it. It's your choice to pay for the content they are offering you, whatever that may be. Or don't.

What you can't do, is play content that they have created and are not offering, for free. And you can't pay for that content either. Because blizzard says so.

Cause it's their content.

It's a cut and dry case. Black and white.

Quote Originally Posted by istheshiz View Post

Umm. Do you even play WoW? Living breathing world? Nothing living and breathing about WoW. The main difference between single player RPGs and WoW are
    1) RPGs have better stories with far less inconsistencies brought about by plot armor.
    2) Other people playing in the same areas.(which more often than not make it less immersive not more, but on the plus side usually more fun)
    3) More patches
    4) More crap sold in a store

Successful RPGs get expansions too, and the worlds are generally more believable and immersive.

Also they have removed a ton of the old content, when they removed the old class quests and when they did the update in Cata.

One of the best things about vanilla was the community. Playing solo was doable, but things took more time and there wasn't much reason to rush because of the sheer amount of time things took. That meant more people stopped to talk, help out etc... That experience doesn't really exist in WoW today because of how much the game and as a result the community have changed.

Sadly, you cannot.

Even if you play without heirlooms, the game suffered so many changes and is vastly more accessible that it just isn't the same.

That ship has sailed (thankfully we got private realms, which even with their flaws, offer a very close to the original content).