Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by want my Slimjim View Post
    It's too bad you don't see it that way, it most certainly is.
    No, a pirate server is not a piece of history.

10+ Year Old Account
    they can enjoy old content, i enjoyed old content. but i also like seeing the world and the game evolve as i grow up as a person (started playing around age 12)

i get that some people don't like new stuff because it's different, but that doesn't make it bad for everyone

i would support blizz if they released expansion specific servers because it would please people, and i may stop by on them from time to time, but it won't change that the base game is going to evolve, and some people are going to love it no matter how bad it gets for others
    "Brace yourselves, Trolls are coming."
    Signature By: Mythriz

You said it yourself op, you have enjoyed replaying legend of zelda several times over the years. You can't just continue to play the same shit no matter how good it is continually, you need breaks, keeping content fresh means someone needs fewer breaks as things have gotten less monotonous.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    I've requested a title change. THIS IS NOT ABOUT NOSTALRIUS. People have seen the thread title and instead of reading this post, assume I am complaining about that server shutting down. I am not. I never played on it. I am talking about people who say you can't/won't enjoy old content because of nostalgia, so take off those rose-tinted glasses! PLEASE read AT LEAST the OP before you respond, folks!

Exactly what the title says... Why do people have to flame others for wanting something older, in the sense of World of Warcraft? Why do people always just say "oh, it's nostalgia, you wouldn't be happy going back to play!"

This is not specifically about any expansion in particular, but rather the idea that we all must play the current World of Warcraft - nothing else. Why? Why do you say I cannot enjoy Vanilla, TBC, or WotLK? Why does it seem this is only brought up when talking about wanting to play old WoW expansions?

Let's think about this: people play INSANE amounts of OLD games, games that have not been updated, IF EVER, in a LONG time. Some of these games are also incredibly REPETITIOUS, even more so than World of Warcraft... I'll list off just a few...

Legend of Zelda: Any Title. The likes of Ocarina and Majora's Mask have incredibly high replay value. I wonder why. Maybe it's because they are simply just enjoyable games? I can't count how many times I've replayed them over the years.
    Left 4 Dead 2: I only recently got into this game, but I know several people at my college who play this relentlessly. It's repetitious and from what I can tell not recently changed/added to.
    LoL: I hate this game, I hate its community, but you gotta admit, it has amazing lasting power.
    Super Mario: whichever one you want. Similar to Zelda.
    Pokemon: don't even get me started. I know people who still play Red/Blue/Yellow, etc.
    Other samey FPS games go here.
    That huge Final Fantasy VII crowd isn't important, right?

Does anyone get what I'm trying to say?

So what if someone likes Vanilla, TBC, Wrath, or whatever, does it matter? Why should you care? Why should anyone care? I particularly LOVE going back and playing certain expansions and I'm not bored yet. I played during the expansions I've been playing on live and they hold my fondest memories and I've continued making more fond memories. Some people like where Blizzard is taking the game, some do not. Some liked MoP, some did not. Some liked Cataclysm, some did not.

Seriously, why CAN'T people like old games/content? Why are they not allowed to play them/experience them to their heart's content?

Really interested in hearing peoples' thoughts on this. Yes, does nostalgia exist? Of course! Do GREAT games exist? They certainly do and some of them have nigh-on unlimited replay value.

My ears and eyes are open.
    I basically make a life out of playing games and watching anime X years later.

Hell, last night I finally played Evil Genius for the first time. Cool game, I can get more than $10 worth of fun from it.

But I think right now is a bad time to like old content, especially for WoW. There's a tiny pocket of the WoW community, less than 5%, maybe less than 1%, that basically has gone on the warpath after this Nostralius news (which I know you aren't talking about, but it is the answer to your question). They want Vanilla Servers, you're wrong, a sheep, and don't understand economics if you disagree. And that's got people who don't like Classic Servers in arms and thinking ANYONE who likes old content is a Nostalius Supporter.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just because it's old doesn't mean it only has power through nostalgia. Take Diablo II for example - that game is freaking amazing, I don't keep going back to it because I'm nostalgic, I go back because its an amazing ARPG.
    MMO-C, home of the worst community on the internet.

Deleted
    If current version of the game was great, then there would be no need for vanilla or any other legacy servers.
    I mean, if you'd get loads of fresh content that's enjoyable and engaging, you wouldn't ever think of going back to something this outdated.

However, current WoW is pretty bad. Raiding and leveling are the only things that hold any sort of decent quality. Outside of it, it's an unsocial uninspired drivel. Come on, garrisons? What the heck is this content supposed to be?!

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    I've requested a title change. THIS IS NOT ABOUT NOSTALRIUS. People have seen the thread title and instead of reading this post, assume I am complaining about that server shutting down. I am not. I never played on it. I am talking about people who say you can't/won't enjoy old content because of nostalgia, so take off those rose-tinted glasses! PLEASE read AT LEAST the OP before you respond, folks!

Exactly what the title says... Why do people have to flame others for wanting something older, in the sense of World of Warcraft? Why do people always just say "oh, it's nostalgia, you wouldn't be happy going back to play!"

This is not specifically about any expansion in particular, but rather the idea that we all must play the current World of Warcraft - nothing else. Why? Why do you say I cannot enjoy Vanilla, TBC, or WotLK? Why does it seem this is only brought up when talking about wanting to play old WoW expansions?

Let's think about this: people play INSANE amounts of OLD games, games that have not been updated, IF EVER, in a LONG time. Some of these games are also incredibly REPETITIOUS, even more so than World of Warcraft... I'll list off just a few...

Legend of Zelda: Any Title. The likes of Ocarina and Majora's Mask have incredibly high replay value. I wonder why. Maybe it's because they are simply just enjoyable games? I can't count how many times I've replayed them over the years.
    Left 4 Dead 2: I only recently got into this game, but I know several people at my college who play this relentlessly. It's repetitious and from what I can tell not recently changed/added to.
    LoL: I hate this game, I hate its community, but you gotta admit, it has amazing lasting power.
    Super Mario: whichever one you want. Similar to Zelda.
    Pokemon: don't even get me started. I know people who still play Red/Blue/Yellow, etc.
    Other samey FPS games go here.
    That huge Final Fantasy VII crowd isn't important, right?

Does anyone get what I'm trying to say?

So what if someone likes Vanilla, TBC, Wrath, or whatever, does it matter? Why should you care? Why should anyone care? I particularly LOVE going back and playing certain expansions and I'm not bored yet. I played during the expansions I've been playing on live and they hold my fondest memories and I've continued making more fond memories. Some people like where Blizzard is taking the game, some do not. Some liked MoP, some did not. Some liked Cataclysm, some did not.

Seriously, why CAN'T people like old games/content? Why are they not allowed to play them/experience them to their heart's content?

Really interested in hearing peoples' thoughts on this. Yes, does nostalgia exist? Of course! Do GREAT games exist? They certainly do and some of them have nigh-on unlimited replay value.

My ears and eyes are open.
    simple. we have defeated the old content and this makes it irrelevant.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by want my Slimjim View Post
    They absolutely did something wrong. They removed the game that we loved, and did some and destroyed any reminants of it by shutting down Nostralrius. It's a piece of history that should be preserved not destroyed.
    illegal third party servers are not history.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    exept this analogy doesnt fit - fitting analogy would be "you felt in love with someone 10 years ago , now you met him/her and he/she is married and dont remeembr you at all while you havent been able to move on for past 10 years "
    A more fitting analogy would be, 10 years after graduation, still preferring women in their wild, sexually curious, experimental phase, which is a legitimate preference, even if your friends think you should move on and settle down with a "nice girl"

10+ Year Old Account
    Closing this for a couple of reasons:

1). Despite the op's efforts, people are still talking about a private server in the thread. We already have something for that.
    2). Once that's done, it's really another thread about vanilla, BC, old servers and we have a lot of threads about that.

If the OP wants to try again, that's OK but more threads about vanilla or old servers we do not need. Any other threads that reference Nostalrius in any way at all will be closed as well.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."