Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Moslin View Post
    I think if wow "died" Blizzard would not make another MMO they would focus on keeping wow alive and making new games (RTS and Moba and Diablo)

- - - Updated - - -

I know none of us really do we want wow to just be better than it is.
    This is most definitely true! All I crave is an updated WoW with modern graphics and maybe a battle system like Tera and ill play for 10 more years until my ass starts growing roots.

Why would they continue to spend huge amounts of money developing a new mmo when they can just continue wow with much less effort, decreasing development cost year over year and still have the largest sub game on the market? Cancelling Titan and the release of several games that take far less dev time and resources but still make a big profit tells you their priorities on game development.

Deleted
    Yes I would like to see a new MMORPG, and Jeff Kaplan is finishing up on overwatch so hop over there and find out what his future plans are

Also though the community destroyed itself, the middleman is still blizzard, it's like Iraq smuggling in guns to make money and expecting good things to come from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendra View Post
    We don't even get regular updates for the current version of WoW, which should have the absolute top priority. Unless Blizzard massively stocks up on resources, such servers would be a completely silly waste of such.
    It's their problems. In the past they were providing enough content with much smaller team. If they would have had 250 ppl team in the past - they would have made 5 Wows simultaneously. They refuse to provide options on single type of server, i.e. for example refuse to provide flying for players, who need it? Than make separate servers.

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

Quote Originally Posted by feellucky View Post
    Actually they are part of the reason, back in vanilla it was very time consuming to level a new character and there was no other way to start over. You couldn't transfer, you had to start again at level 1, and you could only play with the people on your server. This made your reputation with those you encountered matter. If you were an asshat a few times, ninja looted once, or were just a prick in general, everyone knew about it. Sure there were still a few out there but there was a much stronger incentive within the game to work with others and not be an ass to everyone. Most of that incentive is gone now as you can find a new group anytime with random people you've never met before and will never see again.
    That is not how i experienced it.
    Yes there were two or three people on my server that pulled of some spectacular ninja loot or something and became well known but all the small, every day assholes never got a "reputation" or something because there were thousands of people on the server and if some idiot in your random dungeon group did something shitty you got annoyed and that was it. And three weeks later it was all forgotten because, in the end, he/she was just one player of many.

I played in Vanilla, i never heard anything about blacklists or something. Maybe they were a thing on some servers but certainly not on mine.

Deleted
    Problem is with the genre & the community itself.

Look, MMO games need to advance in time like the other games did.. But sadly this didn't happened outside of the Micro transactions.

Casual players want to play something shine/casual/simple, and wow as much as it tries it's missing the graphical component to lure people back in.. Most wow players I know these days (newcomers from wotlk/cata/mists) don't care about the lore not even a dime.

And don't forget the people that started in vanilla (me included) are 12 years older now... I can't raid at night and commit to raiding schedules anymore sadly, my last attempt to do this was last year with WoD and I almost lost all friends & girlfriend on the process.

Things have changed, but the MMOs haven't follow this pattern.. It's a genre stuck in the 2006's-09's.

The gameplay is outdated and boring to those new players.. And the graphics are outdated to most of the casual players, and just by that they don't wanna even try the game.

Look the Warcraft IP, is amazing.. And no doubt great for an MMO, but there needs to be radical changes to the genre & tools used to build it.

And I also mean game design philosophy & process thinking.

It needs a total revamp

And to end my argument, the only MMO that if were to be released today with subscription that would make millions in a day, would be a Pokemon MMO with a cross region gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by Flutterguy View Post
    They already said they don't see a future in investing in the MMORPG market. World of Warcraft was lightning in a bottle and they're gonna ride it out until it ends. I think they're mostly right. The game market is changing and Blizzard is adapting to it. Smaller, faster games are more popular now than ever before.
    They are only switching one group of people for another.... millions for millions.

But people want that long, grindy RPG MMO, but NO MMO out there is RPG heavy... it is all the same.. and After WoW many cant get into other mmos.. I cant either.

Short fast games only cater to a few.. mainly the Esport people... not everyone cares for that...

They've showed us they want Esports, thus giving up on what made them as great as they became. and im sure one day it'll bite their company in the ass.

Quote Originally Posted by feellucky View Post
    By your own analogy you're wrong, there are plenty of older cars that are clearly superior cars than your ford focus. The focus might have fancy new technology built into it but as a car its inferior. There are many older cars I would trade your ford focus for in a heartbeat.

You are grossly exaggerating the amount of time to form groups, I've spent more time waiting in queues than I ever did forming groups myself. Also in vanilla we had a LFG channel made that you could use from anywhere in the world. A player made channel to find replacements if anyone dropped group during a dungeon, and you could continue clearing a dungeon with 4 people while the 5th made their way there, unless you had a warlock. Sure there were times when it was less efficient, a better option would have been a summoning feature for all or more classes. The LFG tool does nothing to address the anonymity that is the root of the toxic community.
    And i could say just as easily that you are remembering your waiting times with rose tinted glasses and nostalgia much like you are looking at the old cars. New cars are safer, more fuel efficient, more reliable, more affordable....
    Worst case, wait times are just as long now as they were then but at least now you can do other things while you wait instead of being stuck in town spamming trade.
    Best case scenario for rose tinted glasses, even when you did form your group you could spend just as long traveling to the actual dungeon, or even longer than it takes to find a group now.

I remember the LFG global channel, it lasted a few weeks before it was removed again as it was just a global advertising channel for gold spammers and filled player spam and trolls.
    While the channel was there there was the option to find more people if people left but for the vast majority of the expansion the best you could hope for if something happened to a group member was you could ask some friends to as in trade chat for you so you didn't have to spend a truck load of time traveling to and from the nearest city to advertise.
    I played on a overcapacity server that got so full we were one of the first to get free server transfers as we often had over an hour queue to get on at peak times and the only dungeons i generally did were with guild members as it was a nightmare to get groups sorted any other way and i was even a healer as i made the mistake of picking a class that was advertised as a versatile hybrid.

You are right though that the LFG tool doesn't solve the anonymity issue but it does solve the issue of anything outside of your garrison seeming pointless.

The community problem is down to critical mass mostly, you need a lot of people to be able to provide things like quick queues for BG's and enough players for everyone to form groups in a reasonable fashion and even on the largest servers with well balanced populations, which again i am on, there just isn't the critical mass of people to provide that. What they really need to do is merge battlegroups into single servers rather than just merging tiny servers together.

There is a hell of a lot of rose tinted glasses that goes on with the way things used to be, whether that is games, cars, the good old days or whatever but when you look at most things in the cold light of day most things are actually better than they used to be.
    Old things just tend to have more "character" but what we really mean by character is they are a bit naff but we feel nostalgic about them and it's hip to be into old things.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    These systems are not the reason why WoW's Community is shit. There is many MMO's that use systems equal to or alike these and has a fine Community.

The problem with WoW's community is the community itself. Its not blizzard, Its not some QoL feature and if you shutdown WoW tomorrow and moved everyone to a MMO by blizzard it would still have the same amount of asshats. The communtiy was shit in alot of places in TBC and Wrath and its shit in alot of places now. This isn't anything new and in truth it mirrors alot of the gaming community as a whole. People are just immature picks and sadly you see those the most.

Its not the tools fault its the people who use the tool.
    Nope they dont have fine community at all. That and fact that 99% of all WoW content is absolute faceroll. I can literaly finish entire game from lvl 1 to lvl 100 including raiding and dungoens while afking and eating my sandwich. Thats how pathetic content is and thats why it atracts toxic community.

Deleted
    I'd love new MMO, but with few key requirements:

- No current WoW developers should be involved in it. That have no clue what MMO or RPG are, otherwise they wouldn't have created garrison abomination. They would ruin it all.

- No matchmaking. Require players to socialize to find groups. That was what built old communities. Tools that help with that would be nice, such as realm-wide group finder, but it should not match players automatically and it should not link to players from other realms.

- No faceroll easy mode. I'm not saying game should be hardcore, it should be relatively easy, but no faceroll god mode easy that we have in today's WoW. World should be dangerous enough to make players think and encourage grouping, but not require grouping.

- No artificial difficulties switch.

- No linear single player storytelling questing. This belongs to single player games. In good MMO everything should be connected and player should be able to choose his own path instead of being driven by "developers vision".

- No "you are the only savior" crap. Its MMO, there are many other players. If everyone is one and only hero, nobody is.

- Depth and logic to professions. No daily cooldowns nonsense. There should be many reagents obtainable from different sources. Requiring running dungeons and raids to get rare reagents is fine, as long as its not done in competing mode (5 players competing for same 1 BoP item is not fine - it would create atmosphere where players would try to not invite other players needing same item in same run. Reagent should be ether tradable or all eligible players should get it). Player must be able to craft as much as he wants as long as he can get reagents. Recipes should be obtainable from many different sources.

- No catch up mechanics for gear or professions. Its fine when things take time.

- No account wide stuff. Characters should matter. Players should know other players by their character. Its integral part of forming communities.

- No click-and-wait mechanics for anything. These mechanics are disgusting. Player should be able to do whatever he wants, when he wants.

Quote Originally Posted by thefkuffyrocker View Post
    And i could say just as easily that you are remembering your waiting times with rose tinted glasses and nostalgia much like you are looking at the old cars. New cars are safer, more fuel efficient, more reliable, more affordable....
    Worst case, wait times are just as long now as they were then but at least now you can do other things while you wait instead of being stuck in town spamming trade.
    Best case scenario for rose tinted glasses, even when you did form your group you could spend just as long traveling to the actual dungeon, or even longer than it takes to find a group now.

I remember the LFG global channel, it lasted a few weeks before it was removed again as it was just a global advertising channel for gold spammers and filled player spam and trolls.
    While the channel was there there was the option to find more people if people left but for the vast majority of the expansion the best you could hope for if something happened to a group member was you could ask some friends to as in trade chat for you so you didn't have to spend a truck load of time traveling to and from the nearest city to advertise.
    I played on a overcapacity server that got so full we were one of the first to get free server transfers as we often had over an hour queue to get on at peak times and the only dungeons i generally did were with guild members as it was a nightmare to get groups sorted any other way and i was even a healer as i made the mistake of picking a class that was advertised as a versatile hybrid.

You are right though that the LFG tool doesn't solve the anonymity issue but it does solve the issue of anything outside of your garrison seeming pointless.

The community problem is down to critical mass mostly, you need a lot of people to be able to provide things like quick queues for BG's and enough players for everyone to form groups in a reasonable fashion and even on the largest servers with well balanced populations, which again i am on, there just isn't the critical mass of people to provide that. What they really need to do is merge battlegroups into single servers rather than just merging tiny servers together.

There is a hell of a lot of rose tinted glasses that goes on with the way things used to be, whether that is games, cars, the good old days or whatever but when you look at most things in the cold light of day most things are actually better than they used to be.
    Old things just tend to have more "character" but what we really mean by character is they are a bit naff but we feel nostalgic about them and it's hip to be into old things.

The thing is I'm not completely remembering anything from long ago, I'm recalling things that happened in the last few weeks and what I experienced myself in vanilla (I had 2 60 healers, a 60 tank and 60 dps in vanilla). I wait longer in queues sometimes on live than I could get a group for an instance on nost or I did back in vanilla. In general its faster to form a group for a dps on nost and as a tank or healer there's almost always a group looking for one or both for a given instance at any time, so basically the same instant queues as on live. Plus I had a group of friends and guildies to access that are just not online on live outside of raid times or have quit til next expac. Traveling to instances is really not a problem while leveling as they are in the zones that you're questing in, at 60 it can be a bit time consuming but it also makes the world feel like a world instead of a group of instances or minigames. We travel to mythic dungeons on live now too and its not an issue at least for me. I quite prefer it, though adding the summoning stones for groups without warlocks would be fine. Traveling gives you time to socialize with your new group or prepare for the instance.

You're analogy isn't always correct, there are many instances where something made previously is superior to whats out now. Maybe costs were cut and they used cheaper materials to build the product or a new design isn't as good as an old one. Very long term you are correct, things do tend to trend toward being better but we aren't talking about 100 years of development here and we're only talking about one aspect, community. Wow has sacrificed community, the MMO part of the game for convenience, this is something even the devs have admitted.

If they merged the servers to a point where all servers had a few thousand people on at least at any time with decent faction balance and removed grouping across servers and took out all the LF mechanics outside of the group finder and then made it take as long as it did in vanilla to get to max level it would start to shift the balance back toward community. Returning raid progression and removing catch up mechanics would also help add extra life to the game.

I don't think its been all bad, the group finder tool is a better way to form a group over using a chat channel, albeit only slightly as it cleans up the spam. You should be able to see who is in the group you're joining though, names and classes.

p.s. - we need a cliche term for not being able to see that what is new is inferior to a previous version or a new cliche for nostalgia as rose-tinted glasses is getting really old and overused.

Wtf is wrong with you people and LFG ? Don't like it, don't use it for christ sake. We all miss the good old times when you waited 2hours to go to a dungeon.

They should let this games story run its course after we visit Argus/kill whatever final threat, subs get to below 1 million, Or WoW becomes f2p before making another mmo. Simply the notion that blizzard is making a new mmo should be easy to get a bigger start up community willing to try it. Learning from WoW they should make it very clear from the start how they want this new mmorpg to play though. Public relationships will likely be poor when WoW finally croaks.