Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    You can legally change your name in many (most?) states in the US just through common usage. There used to be a website that would charge you $50 and submit the legal paperwork to a courthouse for you, not sure if that's a thing anymore.
    That's good to know. I've heard that, for example, in China changing one's name is huge pain, and one also needs to provide a good (practical) reason for doing so, otherwise the state has the right to decline the application.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    That's good to know. I've heard that, for example, in China changing one's name is huge pain, and one also needs to provide a good (practical) reason for doing so, otherwise the state has the right to decline the application.
    About the only legal hurdle here (somewhere in the US) is filing a form and paying a fee. You can also go by an alias, but most forms will ask something like "Have you ever gone by another name?" That would be employment, credit, bank, financial things. In other words, I could start calling myself "belfpala" in real life, but I'd still have to reveal my given name.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    About the only legal hurdle here (somewhere in the US) is filing a form and paying a fee. You can also go by an alias, but most forms will ask something like "Have you ever gone by another name?" That would be employment, credit, bank, financial things. In other words, I could start calling myself "belfpala" in real life, but I'd still have to reveal my given name.
    Yeah usually you have to put a notice in a newspaper and that's the extent of things, unless you have a history of fraud.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cyanide is a pretty nice name tho.

Please tell me that "Lady Justice King" is a title and not her name, if it was, she would have no right in banning this woman from using Cyanide for her daughters name.
    “A man will contend for a false faith stronger than he will a true one,” he observes. “The truth defends itself, but a falsehood must be defended by its adherents: first to prove it to themselves and secondly, that they may appear right in the estimation of their friends.”
    -The Acts of Pilate.

Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    The real question is: Why did Hitler first take poison and THEN shoot himself?
    Insurance policy if one failed.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Yeah usually you have to put a notice in a newspaper and that's the extent of things, unless you have a history of fraud.
    Which is hilarious as a form of public notification these days. The only time I pick up a newspaper is if I'm in a coffee shop. And even then, pretty much zero chance I looked at the obituaries and other legal notices.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.