Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Just tell him, and if there's anything you can do to help him with the transition, make sure to offer since he seems like a nice person. Genuinely caring bosses are hard to come by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    56 hours at $9.50 an hour = $380/week straight time (40 x $9.50) and $228/week in overtime ($9.50 x 1.5 x 16) or $608/week total before taxes

That's some pretty awful wages ($31,616/year) for the hours worked per week. The likely reason your old boss was trying to give you your gas station job back is because the abysmal pay with the long hours was something people wouldn't take.
    It is awful pay, but for a 23 year old college student it was not that bad. This new job brings me to a little over 18$ an hour. That will allow me to actually live and not worry about money every week.
    Intel i7 4790k @ 4.6GHZ | Nvidia GTX 1080 ASUS STRIX OC | MSI Z97-GD65 Gaming 5 | 16GB Cosair Vengence 2400 | 128GB Vertex 4 |3TB Seagate Barracuda | AX750 | Cooler Master Storm Enforcer | H110I Extreme Cooler | ASUS VS229H-P Black 21.5 IPS | AOC 1080p | Razer Black Widow Ultimate 2013 | Logitech g600 | Sennheiser HD558

Do whats best for you, you don't own jobs anything. You're a free agent. If your boss that you're leaving is a good friend or something like that then sit him down and explain that you are perusing whats best for you. If they don't understand then fk him.

Also, did you discuss with your new job that you need to put in a 2-week notice at your old job? Perhaps you can negotiate that with your new job. If they don't want to wait 2 weeks for you to start working, well then i'd still get going to your new job. At least you're giving your old job appropriate time to get new help.

10+ Year Old Account
    Stand in front of him and scream " I OUT OF HERE" while ripping off your shirt, then body slam him to the ground, get up, and walk away (without your shirt)

It's a minimum wage job so I assume they expect high employee turnover. At my parents restaurant they've had people leave on good terms and come back later multiple times. No hard feelings as long as they let my parents know they are leaving. Seriously, so many times they've had someone just not show up for work as a way of quitting.

7+ Year Old Account
    I'd just leverage the other job for a raise, otherwise you may risk losing the new job quickly and have burnt your bridges with job 1

Quote Originally Posted by hitmanblood View Post
    tldr;
    I got a job 1
    I quit job 1 for another job 2
    lost job 2
    Job 1 offered me work again
    Offered a really good job that plays double job 1
    too nervous to quit job 1 again after being taken back.

So my situation is this, 2 years ago i was working for a gas station here while i go to school. I work night shift.

My boss is a really cool guy. Respectful and co-workers are really good as well. I work around 56 hours a week sometimes more here. So i get a decent paycheck. I make 9.50$ an hour. My issue is after working there for year i had to quit the first time because a friend needed someone to cover his store for a couple months. I let me boss know i was quitting for that reason.

Flash forward 3 months ago, my friend went out of business, i was unemployed for around 2 months and as a college student who pays for all my classes i was running out of savings. I call my old boss back up and he actually re hired me. He gave me second chance and a job when i needed it. The owner my boss and one of his managers only say good things about me. I actually get my work done, most of his other employees are pretty lazy and are unreliable so having me back was awesome.

Now my only concern is a large company i applied for and did all my drug tests and assessments actually called me two days ago letting me know i got the job. Now this company is going to be paying about double what i am making now, so it is a dream come true. Though i feel like i am too much of a coward to tell my boss that i have to quit again. And on such short notice since this company wants me to start on Monday. My boss is already short on workers right now, and i do not want to betray him.

Any advice for someone with butterfly's in his stomach and too nervous to have that talk.
    Is your "friendship" with your boss really worth half of your potential income? Is there anyone you would willingly give 50% of your current paycheck to? Friends? Mom? Grandma? Significant other?

New job wants you start on Monday? "Sorry, I can't do that... I'm more than happy to put in my 2 week notice, but to do otherwise would be unfair to my current job (and would give you the wrong impression of me.)"

I hate to add this... Please take no offense: If you are making $9.50 an hour... you aren't irreplaceable. Shit... if you make $50 an hour, you aren't irreplaceable.
    [color=blue]This thread has lived beyond its life expectancy. ... It's also met the forum quota for posters insulting the intelligence of their peers to grasp the age-old upper hand in argumentation, I believe officially coined by Plato: "Ur, like, dumb and that's why I'm right." Zarhym

Quote Originally Posted by Shiift View Post
    Stop thinking any boss cares about their employees would be a good start.
    My first boss after I finished university is now my best friend...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Stand in front of him and scream " I OUT OF HERE" while ripping off your shirt, then body slam him to the ground, get up, and walk away (without your shirt)
    That made my really laugh. He has a body type of a body builder, he would bear hug me, maybe if i went for his legs.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by WernerCD View Post
    Is your "friendship" with your boss really worth half of your potential income? Is there anyone you would willingly give 50% of your current paycheck to? Friends? Mom? Grandma? Significant other?

New job wants you start on Monday? "Sorry, I can't do that... I'm more than happy to put in my 2 week notice, but to do otherwise would be unfair to my current job (and would give you the wrong impression of me.)"

I hate to add this... Please take no offense: If you are making $9.50 an hour... you aren't irreplaceable. Shit... if you make $50 an hour, you aren't irreplaceable.
    I understand the reality, of course i am replaceable, i have learned that the hard way, everyone is. Just i am such a wuss when it comes to these things. Now if i did not care about my boss as a friend i would not of batted a eye.
    Intel i7 4790k @ 4.6GHZ | Nvidia GTX 1080 ASUS STRIX OC | MSI Z97-GD65 Gaming 5 | 16GB Cosair Vengence 2400 | 128GB Vertex 4 |3TB Seagate Barracuda | AX750 | Cooler Master Storm Enforcer | H110I Extreme Cooler | ASUS VS229H-P Black 21.5 IPS | AOC 1080p | Razer Black Widow Ultimate 2013 | Logitech g600 | Sennheiser HD558

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    My first boss after I finished university is now my best friend...
    I have plenty of past co-workers I'd consider friends. I'll do what I can to help friends - including monetarily...

I wouldn't take a 50% pay cut (which is what OP would be doing) though.

That "pay cut" will affect the next job offer... and the next... and the next...

Nothing says he has to "burn bridges" or lose his friendship - because the Boss should know that OP has to take care of himself. Say "I have a job offer of X and I have to put in my 2 weeks.". If it's possible, Boss might say "wait... I can raise you to $12" or "Wait, I can match"... but Boss has bills. You have Bills. and $9.50 generally speaking isn't an irreplaceable worker.
    [color=blue]This thread has lived beyond its life expectancy. ... It's also met the forum quota for posters insulting the intelligence of their peers to grasp the age-old upper hand in argumentation, I believe officially coined by Plato: "Ur, like, dumb and that's why I'm right." Zarhym

Apologize, tell them you got offered a lot more money, any reasonable person would understand, hand in 2 weeks notice

That made my really laugh. He has a body type of a body builder, he would bear hug me, maybe if i went for his legs.

- - - Updated - - -

I understand the reality, of course i am replaceable, i have learned that the hard way, everyone is. Just i am such a wuss when it comes to these things. Now if i did not care about my boss as a friend i would not of batted a eye.
    Yeah, nothing says you can't care about your current boss.

My last job was circling the drain (Company wise. Lost biggest customer, went from ~20 employees to ~4 when I left). I'm still on good terms, but a 25% pay raise from that job to the next couldn't be passed up. I put in my notice, did my 2 weeks and moved on. I've sense almost had some freelance work with them (that didn't quite pan out). I worked there for ~4.5 years and loved that place... but opportunities - and the need to provide for me and my fiance - meant I had to move on.

People grow. People move on. There's nothing wrong with that. Nothing stopping you from staying in contact on LinkedIn/Facebook/etc or inviting Him/them over for a random bbq here and there.

Quote Originally Posted by WernerCD View Post
    I have plenty of past co-workers I'd consider friends. I'll do what I can to help friends - including monetarily...

I wouldn't take a 50% pay cut (which is what OP would be doing) though.

That "pay cut" will affect the next job offer... and the next... and the next...

Nothing says he has to "burn bridges" or lose his friendship - because the Boss should know that OP has to take care of himself. Say "I have a job offer of X and I have to put in my 2 weeks.". If it's possible, Boss might say "wait... I can raise you to $12" or "Wait, I can match"... but Boss has bills. You have Bills. and $9.50 generally speaking isn't an irreplaceable worker.
    The poster I quoted said he should just assume his boss doesnt care about him. If his boss cares about him he would have no problem with his employee taking another job for 2x the pay.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    The new company wants him to start this coming Monday
    Tell your boss you need to quit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Tell your boss you need to quit.
    Ideally OP will. Just sayin the 2 weeks notice thing doesn't always work out when the new job wants you to start on the next working day lol

That's good news that you got a better job offer. That being said, you gotta do the right thing and let your boss know that you are quitting. Even if it means giving him short notice, the sooner you do it the better, after all.... that just means he has a bit more notice.

Think about it this way, if your boss was offered a job where he would be paid double what he was making, there's probably a 99% chance he would take it in a similar situation. The big thing here is you just want to be respectful about it and let him know that you were grateful for that second chance. If you really want to do this (and it sounds like you want to) you can offer to work weekends or a short part time shift for a few weeks to help him get back on his feet a bit. But definitely take the job, don't talk yourself out of getting paid a lot more money.

- - - Updated - - -

It is awful pay, but for a 23 year old college student it was not that bad. This new job brings me to a little over 18$ an hour. That will allow me to actually live and not worry about money every week.
    No shame in starting from the bottom and working your way up. In a few years you may be in a bracket where Captain N then thinks you are "taking advantage of minorities" and that you did "nothing to earn your high wages".
    Last edited by RickJamesLich; 2016-04-15 at 07:27 PM.

Dude, you're working graveyards at a fucking gas station a couple dollars above min wage. Take the office job! Your boss will understand, and if not, fuck 'im. This is the nature of managing c-stores.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    You are a carbon copy of what you long so hard to fight in the streets. An extremist. Someone so desperate for strife to prove you are the ubermensch, err, Real American.

Alt lite. Sounds like you're having an alt fright. Unable to sleep at alt night. Maybe you should relax and fly an alt kite. Go down to the diner for an alt bite. You shouldn't be treating people with alt spite. Eventually, everything will be alt right.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiift View Post
    Stop thinking any boss cares about their employees would be a good start.
    I think you will find quite a lot of companies do care about individual workers. Doubtful in this instance, but don't go thinking every boss is an emotionless void?
    Last edited by mmoc71c5112e9f; 2016-04-15 at 07:30 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gee this is tough.

Well ya see boss my grandma fell ill and I need to move to whogivesadam wisconsin to take care of her.
    Go to the other job, If you end up hating it and wanting to return...Hey boss my grandma I was taking care of passed away and I can come back to work for you now.
    GG

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Possessed View Post
    Gee this is tough.

Well ya see boss my grandma fell ill and I need to move to whogivesadam wisconsin to take care of her.
    Go to the other job, If you end up hating it and wanting to return...Hey boss my grandma I was taking care of passed away and I can come back to work for you now.
    GG
    lmao, i thought about doing something like that, but i figure im just going to give him a call since i might not see him this weekend at work at all to let him know. If he doesn't pick up ill leave a voicemail asking him to call me back.