Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    I was tempted to mention warlock but refrained for some reason, but there it is. The warlock aspect. Warlocks do exactly the same, and it's generally apparent that any sufficiently powerful warlock shows even if they don't want to. The only difference here is while a demon hunter is more obvious, their choice is more selfless.
    Warlocks have nowhere near the same type of backstory, either. And, also, they don't go through what I mentioned in the spoiler tags.

Quote Originally Posted by Narbootz View Post
    While other classes might be apprehensive the important part is in the name - demon hunter. This is the largest legion assault Azeroth has ever had to deal with; and its exactly what we've been trained for. Who better to help other classes prepare, train, and overcome the legion than someone with extensive knowledge of demons and fel magics?
    Ultimately, that's how it'll be sold. But I'd imagine that playing a demon hunter will still remain a relatively lonely pursuit, given that they're exclusively knowledgeable about the sheer scale of the Burning Legion; something that is impossible to properly articulate to anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Aviemore View Post
    Warlocks have nowhere near the same type of backstory, either. And, also, they don't go through what I mentioned in the spoiler tags.
    No, they just voluntarily bring some of the most dangerous creatures in the WoW universe into our cities so they can get a shortcut to better magic. This is known by anyone educated in magic, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Despite the lore strength of the class, their internal struggle wouldn't be much harder to RP as than any warlock, DK, Shadow Priest, or even any undead or worgen. Those classes (and others, if they so choose) all have a lot of internal strife to deal with if they don't want to go insane. DKs have to cause pain so they don't feel it themselves. Warlocks can simply use fel energy as a conduit, but they can also be corrupted with it if they're not careful - we've also seen warlocks be killed for their ineptitude. "Warlock" is also a broad term if we look at the Council of Black Harvest and how their members got their powers. Shadow Priests, come Legion, will go insane with the whispers of the Old Gods periodically, and have to balance that within themselves. Worgen players can choose to RP as a feral worgen, where they constantly deal with the rage within themselves and try not to wildly kill everything in sight. So on, so forth.

Demon Hunters fall into that category, for me. It's a thin line to walk across, because it would be tough to accurately portray someone with that amount of internal strife. I think the only thing that separates them from the other classes/races (aside from DK, perhaps) is how specific their ritual is, and the specific order they represent. But, overall, there will be people that can RP as a person with problems well, and there will be those that can't. However, it would also be possible for people to RP as a different demon, or a "night elf warlock" if they so chose. But it won't be that much more difficult than other classes now.
    3 hints to surviving MMO-C forums:
    1.) If you have an opinion, someone will say that it is wrong
    2.) If you have a source, there will be people who refuse to believe it
    3.) If you use logic, it will be largely ignored
    btw: Spires of Arak = Arakkoa.

My advice is to stick with warlock pets. Even using a Felguard is a bit much to my mind.

Just too high a chance for godmoding.
    What makes the Felguard too much? My DH was going to be Vengeance based, so to me it made sense to bind the larger, bulkier demon to him as that's what the Vengeance spec is about, being this sort of demonic hulk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Mike View Post
    What makes the Felguard too much? My DH was going to be Vengeance based, so to me it made sense to bind the larger, bulkier demon to him as that's what the Vengeance spec is about, being this sort of demonic hulk.
    Taking the story of Vandel, a single elf blinded by rage would find (I believe) great difficulty in subduing a Felguard. Clearly it depends on the character and what they were prior to becoming a demon hunter so, for that reason, I think it's safer to avoid them.

Taking the story of Vandel, a single elf blinded by rage would find (I believe) great difficulty in subduing a Felguard. Clearly it depends on the character and what they were prior to becoming a demon hunter so, for that reason, I think it's safer to avoid them.
    I suppose that's a fair assumption. Would something like a Voidwalker be better then? Or should I just stick to a simple demon like an Imp or a Felhound?

Deleted
    Voidwalkers aren't demons, and have no hearts. So there's no way of eating their hearts, nor would doing so do anything demon hunter-y to you.

It's an interesting question if the type of demon matters. Certainly more powerful demons hold stronger energies. I'm sure the demonic meat of an imp would be weaker than that of a Pit Lord. Still in the end, it's just about becoming part demon through the tainted flesh transforming your body and mind. In the end, the demonic presence you fight against, is the part of you that's tainted. And that's what you draw your power from. I am not certain that your demon half would end up stronger, depending on what flesh you ate. While initially, the strength of the demonic meat may be a factor in how hard it is to gain control over it.

I guess what I'm saying is, and this is mere speculation mind you, is that it may be a lot safer to transform yourself by swallowing an imp's heart, than taking a bite out of a Pit Lord heart. And the power gained from either in the end, may not differ at all.

Still, I suppose a lot of people will go with demons of average power. Felguard, Felhunter, Succubus. Possibly Mo'arg, Felbat or Satyr.

Quote Originally Posted by Caerule View Post
    It's an interesting question if the type of demon matters. Certainly more powerful demons hold stronger energies. I'm sure the demonic meat of an imp would be weaker than that of a Pit Lord. Still in the end, it's just about becoming part demon through the tainted flesh transforming your body and mind. In the end, the demonic presence you fight against, is the part of you that's tainted. And that's what you draw your power from. I am not certain that your demon half would end up stronger, depending on what flesh you ate. While initially, the strength of the demonic meat may be a factor in how hard it is to gain control over it.

I guess what I'm saying is, and this is mere speculation mind you, is that it may be a lot safer to transform yourself by swallowing an imp's heart, than taking a bite out of a Pit Lord heart. And the power gained from either in the end, may not differ at all.

Still, I suppose a lot of people will go with demons of average power. Felguard, Felhunter, Succubus. Possibly Mo'arg, Felbat or Satyr.
    Hmm, wonder how hard it would be for them to kill an eat a Natherzim and if they could manage to do that, how much power that would give, opposed to say a Felguard..

EDIT: So I have finally gotten around to read the illidan novel, at page 200 now, but yeah not to spoil anything; I suggest imp or felhound is the best route for deciding between the demons, your character would first consume... and I suggest everyone that are going to RP a Demon Hunter to read the WoW: Illidan novel!
    Last edited by Teclis; 2016-05-11 at 01:10 PM. Reason: new information

Okay, I was looking for a post like this one to share an idea I have!

Currently, my main roleplay character is my blood elf warlock, very experienced in fel magic and some knowledge on demons. He appears very typical, hungry for power, sociopathic ect. In his mind, he already sacrificed a lot to get where he is due to things that happened over the years.

He also already very much shares the demon hunters idea of using the legions own magic and creatures against them

The whole vault thing happens before the assault on the broken shore so it is technically possible that he spoke to Demon Hunters about their rituals(being the power hungry maniac he is he would want to know)

So after getting our asses whooped at the broken shore when we assault the tomb he loses friends and family, pushing him over the brink of madness and vengeance.
    After that he consumes a demons heart, with or without the guidance of a trained DH and thus starting on a even darker path.

please do let me know what you think!
    Last edited by RayVG; 2016-06-09 at 07:42 AM. Reason: Forgot to add one part about why he does things

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RayVG View Post
    I want to like the concept...

Unfortunately, the consumption of a demon heart and the ensuing trials were all largely guided by Illidan, and it's very much an aspect of being in the Illidari. Because of this, it's not something a general demon hunter (such as Altruis) would do. Don't forget, Illidan was also part of the trial and provided a level of protection that wouldn't be afforded someone that just did it off the cuff.

Also, don't forget that a sociopathic warlock who's already sacrificed a lot for forbidden power is unlikely to be heavily affected by the loss of friends and family that he would undoubtedly have left behind long ago.

For me, it doesn't really work.

Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by RayVG View Post
    Okay, I was looking for a post like this one to share an idea I have!

Currently, my main roleplay character is my blood elf warlock, very experienced in fel magic and some knowledge on demons. He appears very typical, hungry for power, sociopathic ect. In his mind, he already sacrificed a lot to get where he is due to things that happened over the years.

He also already very much shares the demon hunters idea of using the legions own magic and creatures against them

The whole vault thing happens before the assault on the broken shore so it is technically possible that he spoke to Demon Hunters about their rituals(being the power hungry maniac he is he would want to know)

So after getting our asses whooped at the broken shore when we assault the tomb he loses friends and family, pushing him over the brink of madness and vengeance.
    After that he consumes a demons heart, with or without the guidance of a trained DH and thus starting on a even darker path.

It could potentially. While the canon story for demon hunters has them as the Illidari, you don't necessarily have to RP that.

The main thing that comes to my mind though is, if your warlock already uses fel magic to use the Legion's power against them, what real incentive is there to undergo a dangerous ritual just so he/she can do so with warglaives instead of from a distance with spells? A warlock is already well equipped to turn the powers of fel against the legion. Still though it's your character, not mine and you would know their way of thinking and motivation better than I would from reading a few sentences.

I would definitely go with the character being under the guidance of an existing demon hunter though, whether it just be a character in your backstory or another DH RPer, I think having the guidance of an Illidari demon hunter would be more believable than just talking to them and completely winging it on their own.

And as the above poster says, if your character is already a sociopath would they really be that affected by the death of more family to the extent they would risk their lives in this very dangerous ritual to fight demons they can already fight with their current skill set? If you can answer these questions from your character's perspective I think you could make it work. I think you just need to answer why they'd feel it worth it and neccisary to be a demon hunter when they already enslave demons and use fel magic.

Quote Originally Posted by Florena Emberlin View Post
    It could potentially. While the canon story for demon hunters has them as the Illidari, you don't necessarily have to RP that.

The main thing that comes to my mind though is, if your warlock already uses fel magic to use the Legion's power against them, what real incentive is there to undergo a dangerous ritual just so he/she can do so with warglaives instead of from a distance with spells? A warlock is already well equipped to turn the powers of fel against the legion. Still though it's your character, not mine and you would know their way of thinking and motivation better than I would from reading a few sentences.

I would definitely go with the character being under the guidance of an existing demon hunter though, whether it just be a character in your backstory or another DH RPer, I think having the guidance of an Illidari demon hunter would be more believable than just talking to them and completely winging it on their own.

And as the above poster says, if your character is already a sociopath would they really be that affected by the death of more family to the extent they would risk their lives in this very dangerous ritual to fight demons they can already fight with their current skill set? If you can answer these questions from your character's perspective I think you could make it work. I think you just need to answer why they'd feel it worth it and neccisary to be a demon hunter when they already enslave demons and use fel magic.
    Well, Jubeka's Journal makes Warlock Metamorphosis (and Dark Apotheosis) canon (plus there's the Kanrethad fight). Because of the introduction of DHs and the removal of the ability from Warlock players, it could be argued that them having access to has been retconned out (otherwise there's no real reason for them not to use something like that). And well, the description of it there sounds a bit different than what DH is.

Anyway, retcon. So, I'd say it could be theorized Warlock Metamorphosis was aspect of Kanrethad's research Jubeka was talking about. After all, the two were studying Outland and Illidan. But with Kanrethad going crazy and a particular reason for it remaining unknown, the Metamorphosis was sealed away in some tome of forbidden knowledge of the Council of the Black Harvest alongside his other potentially dangerous discoveries.

So, here comes Legion. And the Black Harvest invites player Warlock(s) (also, the Illidari appear again). The player Warlock discovers the tome (with Council shattered at the start there are gaps in safety or the player is just perceptive/sneaky/lucky) and with the threat the Legion poses, decides to attempt the ritual Kanrethad discovered, deeming it worth the risk. And by also discovering the teaching of the Illidari, adds the demon heart part from them (maybe some more stuff as well). The two seem to click and the ritual surpasses Kanrethad's and turns the player into a full fledged Demon Hunter.

And yeah, the idea with a help of a DH sounds good as a way to discover the DH side of the formula. The DH would also train the player in using the warglaives. The incentive for the DH to do so could be personal, or could be just a desire to have more manpower for Illidan's army (plus the player achieving the Demon Hunter status in another way could offer some possibilities). I agree on the family part too. Just (ab)normal Warlock power hunger and curiosity+the threat of the Legion are enough in my opinion.
    Last edited by Mehrunes; 2016-06-12 at 08:50 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

There's problems with Warlocks seeking to become Demon Hunters.

Yes, they have a lot in common. Warlocks already use fel. They already struggle daily to keep control over the power of fel that they keep inside, which could easily change their body and mind if they fail in doing so. For an example of that: Fel Elves. Those that summon and control demons already are accustom to battling a demon with their mind. In other words, they seem ideal candidates for Demon Hunters.

I also doubt they'd ever be selected to become a Demon Hunter.

1. Demon Hunters are chosen because they -hate- demons. They unwillingly embrace corruption, sacrificing themselves to become a tool aimed against what they hate. This personal motivation to fight demons is very important. Most warlocks embraced the fel in a quest for power. RayVG mentioned his warlock being a sociopath in search of power. That's just not the kind of person Demon Hunters recruit. They seek people that will fanatically risk their survival to undertake a path that'll kill at least 80% of applicants through the initiation alone.
    Becoming a Demon Hunter isn't a quest for power. It's a fanatical sacrifice that offers a chance to strike at the Burning Legion. That part of it is very much unlike Warlocks; for whom power, dominance, knowledge and selfish ambition are often driving factors, even among those that wield their power for a decent cause.

2. Demon Hunter initiation changes you. You become partially demonic, gaining a demon's instincts and will within you. This changes people. Those that emerge from the training are different people than before. The struggle with their demonic side balancing them away from the good and possibly kind-hearted people they once were. For plenty of people this balance has pushed them over the line of where their loyalties lie. Plenty of examples of Demon Hunters that ended up joining the Burning Legion.
    Warlocks already face a daily struggle to resist the power they hold inside, and the power the Burning Legion offers. They are already of darker personalities. Tossing more demonic properties into their mind isn't going to end well. I don't see warlocks that walk the fine line already, resist the call of the Legion once they implant a demonic will into their own mind. They are clinging to the tatters of their humanity as it is. Demon Hunter transformation is likely to set a fire to that.

tl;dr: While Warlock and Demon Hunter have overlapping knowledge and struggles, their paths differ a lot and may very well be incompatible in most cases.
    Last edited by Caerule; 2016-06-16 at 09:06 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Luckily I just took the stigma of roleplaying a demon hunter since blood elves Warriors were a thing.
    My character started off as keeping a distance , hanging in his home city but kept a low profile while slowly picking up his old life and trying to merge it with his new one. ,
    Eventually he became a decently known sword for hire and "finished" his training by himself and kept his demonic presence underwraps, showing minor hint of the possible insanity with mumbles when with consorts or friends. for the most part he built a life for himself and even created a small order, he does have a slight hatred towards blood knights because they constantly try and prove he was more demon then elf.

His biggest mistake was going into warden territory on a mission to hunt a old demon hunting tome, now he's been frozen for 2 months with just the growing whispers and the fear his life will be shattered again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Personally, I'm gonna play my Demon Hunter a bit less like the stereotypical Demon Hunter. Just because you do all this crazy nonsense doesn't mean you can't have fun with it!
    My character has a history of Betrayal and Tragedy even before he was a Demon Hunter, so at the point of his return to Azeroth, and realize his closest friends left him, his family disowned him and his dog died of syphilis, he decided to just say "Fuck it" and just have fun.
    He's a rather crazy, spritely character who turns his "Depression, Suffering and Angst" into his energetic and a bit psychotic personality.

RPing as a Demon Hunter, however... Might prove to be difficult.
    You can't exactly waltz into a Bar as a Demon Hunter, or even step foot into a Capital City. With hope, after Legion, Demon Hunters will become more socially acceptable and be allowed into the cities under some strict supervision, at the very least. But until then, I suppose Demon Hunters will need to just do their Rping in the Class Halls or Broken Isle's Dalaran.
    Isn't it fitting WoW really took a nosedive after 'the Cataclysm'?

Quote Originally Posted by Nekrotix View Post
    Personally, I'm gonna play my Demon Hunter a bit less like the stereotypical Demon Hunter. Just because you do all this crazy nonsense doesn't mean you can't have fun with it!
    My character has a history of Betrayal and Tragedy even before he was a Demon Hunter, so at the point of his return to Azeroth, and realize his closest friends left him, his family disowned him and his dog died of syphilis, he decided to just say "Fuck it" and just have fun.
    He's a rather crazy, spritely character who turns his "Depression, Suffering and Angst" into his energetic and a bit psychotic personality.

RPing as a Demon Hunter, however... Might prove to be difficult.
    You can't exactly waltz into a Bar as a Demon Hunter, or even step foot into a Capital City. With hope, after Legion, Demon Hunters will become more socially acceptable and be allowed into the cities under some strict supervision, at the very least. But until then, I suppose Demon Hunters will need to just do their Rping in the Class Halls or Broken Isle's Dalaran.
    Not at all. While people will surely be leery of them they're allowed into stormwind and orgrimmar and with both factions accepting their help I see no reason to rp you're banned from the cities.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Florena Emberlin View Post
    Not at all. While people will surely be leery of them they're allowed into stormwind and orgrimmar and with both factions accepting their help I see no reason to rp you're banned from the cities.
    I just felt that Demon Hunters aren't Banned from the cities, but would have their hands full dealing with the Burning Legion on Broken Isles that they wouldn't really have the time or even WANT to leisurely stroll or waltz around in a Capitol City.
    And the only reason you'd be ALLOWED in a Capital City is if you were trained by Illidan and were actively working for him, so if you out and said "I'm not a part of the Illidari", you'd actually probably be more suspicious than anything else.
    Even my upbeat Demon Hunter wouldn't find much use in hanging around Capital Cities for too long, either before he got bored or got called out to duty once more.

TL;DR: Demon Hunters aren't banned from cities, but they sure as hell won't have any reason to be there.
    Isn't it fitting WoW really took a nosedive after 'the Cataclysm'?

Deleted
    I'm *so* going to make a Demon Hunter who ate Archimonde's heart in HFC.

Demon Hunters are likely going to get (in lore) the same treatment as Death Knights, weapons for the current war and when it passes they live as soldiers. In rp they will probably get the same treatment as Death Knights as well... Which is not something I'm excited for because people tend to welcome them with open arms when they should (especially in Night Elf society) be regarded with disgust. They can roam cities, but the people will see them as monsters. My main has been a Belf DK and people expect him to act and behave like any other class sometimes (like being joyful and "nice" like the living), and when I started playing him people treated him with kindness and open arms, which just doesn't fit in my opinion. The Death Knights had people throwing rotten fruits at them because they were viewed as monsters, and they have to live with the thought that yes, they are monsters. The same is likely for Demon Hunters. So yes, there is little reason for Demon Hunters to stay in highly populated areas. If people are rping DHs correctly, and people are rping with DHs correctly, there should (IMO) be tension.

Side note, I'm looking to rp as a DH that lost everything in this Legion invasion and went to the Illidari after losing it all to become a Demon Hunter. Seems reasonable for me but willing to hear other people's thoughts on it.