Page 1 of 3
LastLast

[Rumor] New Playstation 4 (NEO) announced soon

Looks like the speculation about a new PS4 has turned out to be true. Better cpu, gpu and ram.

The NEO will feature a higher clock speed than the original PS4, an improved GPU, and higher bandwidth on the memory. The documents we've received note that the HDD in the NEO is the same as that in the original PlayStation 4, but it's not clear if that means in terms of capacity or connection speed.

This means "NEO Mode" can offer higher or more stable frame rate and other visual flourishes. "The NEO will also support 4K image output, but games themselves are not required to be 4K native." In Sony's developer guidelines documents, the company reminds that games can't push 4K on the NEO at expense of performance. "Sony repeatedly reminds developers that the frame rate of games in NEO Mode must meet or exceed the frame rate of the game on the original PS4 system."

There will be no NEO-specific games (as with the New 3DS, though it's rarely been the case), as "Sony explicitly and repeatedly states that developers cannot offer exclusive gameplay options or special unlockables for NEO players." That said, NEO can offer improved versions of existing features; the example offered is a four-player local co-op PS4 game could theoretically offer eight-player local co-op on NEO. Given Sony's strict rules in keeping from splitting PS4 ownership, though, I doubt this will come up too much.

Similarly, all PS4/NEO games must have peripheral parity, so VR modes can't be locked to NEO. This means, contrary to the initial idea that NEO is specifically meant to accommodate VR, that your NEO can only be better at VR on a technical level. Also, despite games as early as September needing to be NEO ready, "devs are allowed to launch NEO-ready games before the NEO itself releases," so this doesn't confirm a launch alongside PS VR, at least not on its own. Existing PS4 games can also be patched to allow for NEO versions with better performance, but I don't expect a lot of developers taking advantage of the option. It took four years for Metal Gear Solid 4 to get Trophy support.
    SOURCE

Personally I'm disappointed to see this happen. Consoles should be a system you can buy once off and be set for the lifespan of the console. Is this the start of a new trend of updated consoles?

While sony says all games must still be playable on the previous PS4 I wonder how that will turn out.

I was considering buying a PS4 soon but now i'll definately be waiting.
    Last edited by Jakexe; 2016-04-19 at 05:29 AM.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/a...-4-emerge.aspx

Of all the articles I've seen from media on this topic, Game Informer has the only sensible commentary on it IMO. I'm still quite curious as to who these folks sources are, because if they're as good as the NX sources that sites have been reporting on leaks from then it's pretty safe to assume 80% of the info is bogus. Heavy grains of salt all around.

While it seems an extremely safe bet that Sony is working on a PlayStation 4 hardware refresh, there are still aspects of this recurring rumor that remain extremely confusing. First, Sony is in the lead this generation. There is no overwhelming need to woo users that have strayed with drastically improved hardware.

A refresh that offers significantly different specifications than the "core" model would create confusion at retail. It would also breed hesitation about PlayStation VR. Why purchase a peripheral that's more expensive than the console you own only to find out it you aren't getting the best experience? Why put consumers in the position to choose between PSVR and a better PlayStation 4?

And, as mentioned above, price is an issue. Sony doesn't have a strong history with expensive hardware. Getting even upscaled 4K running with comparable frame rates seems like it would strain gamers' wallets.

We still believe Sony (and Microsoft for that matter) are likely to release intermediate hardware before the next generation (as both have done before). If it pans out as Giant Bomb and others have reported, it would be truly baffling, though.

Herald of the Titans OnlineSamantha's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Here's the thing, the consoles are already well past their due date in terms of hardware specifications. I support newer consoles, if only because it will provide a better experience to people. Though there are definite problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trumpresident View Post
    My words exactly. Manufacturing in the US is considerably more expensive than elsewhere, and part of that are savage regulations such as environment protection or minimum wages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderaan View Post
    Saying that Wilson is a racist murderer is the same level of conspiracy as saying Sandy Hook didn't happen and the parents are in on it.
    I don't post that often, and when I do it's often in bursts. I always lurk though.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/a...-4-emerge.aspx

Of all the articles I've seen from media on this topic, Game Informer has the only sensible commentary on it IMO. I'm still quite curious as to who these folks sources are, because if they're as good as the NX sources that sites have been reporting on leaks from then it's pretty safe to assume 80% of the info is bogus. Heavy grains of salt all around.
    After doing some more reading on it i'm leaning the same way. Although with the psVR coming up I do it as a possibility to release something with "VR best experience" or something similar with the intention that not all VR games will work or in the near future they'll need a boost in hardware over the normal ps4.

You're welcome to change the title to include speculation as well. I didn't do enough research into the background before posting.

Works for me.

I got 3 years out of my ps4 nearly and ill get many more. This ps4 will go to the bedroom and the "Neo Ps4" will be in the living room. If rumors are true sony is being strick with how its handled and thats a good thing. No Ps4 neo Exclusives and what not.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

I guess I'll find out how much better it is when I'm ready to get a PS4 in like 3-4 years.

-Someone who only bought a PS3 a year ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    My guess has been VR if they're doing this. (Yes I read the visual fidelity thing, that's not the point, it's to potentially lower latency and all that fun stuff even lower).

It's set up nicely to be backwards compatible. Same RAM/type with only a higher clock rate, doesn't really matter. Same CPU architecture but with a node shrink supposedly and higher clock rate, again not much of a matter. Supposedly Polaris 10 from the looks of it. Since GCN is all 64 Stream Processor per 1 Compute Unit, it means expands out to 2304sp. Along with it there is still the proper hardware schedulers so Async compute isn't going to be messy.

Performance wise this should land around or above the Fury X / 980 Ti judging by their demo last month with Polaris 10. Demo was a constant 2560x1440 Hitman capped at 60FPS minimum, the minimum is the biggy. Granted that is on the optimistic side but we'll see if this even pans out to be true.
    Also it's not really a good comparison for GCN1/2/3 to be compared to 4 due to some IPC increase and some other changes but the core architecture is relatively similar for those that want to compare spec sheets. It's more of the same but it does it faster I guess you can put it.
    The biggest issue is the CPU is relatively weak.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2016-04-19 at 07:33 AM.

http://www.engadget.com/2016/04/18/p...ource=Facebook

Really laugh at the 400$ price point on it. Im still personally waiting for a console busting exclusive to get the ps4 for.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure what's to laugh at with the same price point as it launched with better tech.

As for console exclusive, whatever floats your boat. Bloodborne floated mine, 300+ hours worth of it in fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    I'm not sure what's to laugh at with the same price point as it launched with better tech.

As for console exclusive, whatever floats your boat. Bloodborne floated mine, 300+ hours worth of it in fact.
    As others have pointed out 4k for 400$ is either a huge loss or wont happen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    As others have pointed out 4k for 400$ is either a huge loss or wont happen.
    Its not real 4k...

The upgraded hardware exists exclusively to blow the rendered 1080p up to 4k for 4k sets and VR. That is why they have repeatedly pointed out that there are no exclusive games, exclusive settings, better performance, etc., anything that differentiates it from a normal PS4 with regard to the new hardware.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    This is what happens when you try to rush out a new system.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ave07 View Post
    What exactly was 'rushed' about the current console generation's hardware? I think both (PS4 marginally better) are a decent compromise between performance, price point, power consumption and ease to develop on.

This NEO seems like a questionable move. Sony was - this cycle - clearly leading the market, so the pressure to innovate should be on MS, and a console with maybe 30 or 40% better performance is no quantum leap, but still has the potential to upset early adopters stuck with the 'old' PS4. Especially if some new titles feel sluggish on the old hardware.

That said, after selling my PS4 and switching to Xbone for Forza, this might tempt me to get a NEO as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoicefromwithin View Post
    What exactly was 'rushed' about the current console generation's hardware? I think both (PS4 marginally better) are a decent compromise between performance, price point, power consumption and ease to develop on.

This NEO seems like a questionable move. Sony was - this cycle - clearly leading the market, so the pressure to innovate should be on MS, and a console with maybe 30 or 40% better performance is no quantum leap, but still has the potential to upset early adopters stuck with the 'old' PS4. Especially if some new titles feel sluggish on the old hardware.

That said, after selling my PS4 and switching to Xbone for Forza, this might tempt me to get a NEO as well.
    Both of those are entirely untrue. The new console is not faster in anyway with regard to playing games. All current and future PS4 games will have identical performance.

They have stated so multiple times to assuage the fears of early adopters... Especially with regard to multiplayer where increased game/system performance can directly correlate to increased player performance.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by izayoi80 View Post
    Actually, what's been said is that every game from NEO's release will have to have two versions. One base for the regular Playstation and one NEO-version. You can still play the same game on either console though. I'm guessing that the NEO-version will be 1080p60 with some extra eyecandy though.

1.843 vs 4.198 tflops speaks for itself. Of course it's a substantially more powerful machine.

Evenso, 4K is obviously out of the question.
    Not denying it is more powerful... But the game will run THE SAME at standard 1080p, at least in multiplayer.

Every official statement from Sony on this system has included the 'not wanting to divide the player base between the old and new' spiel. And letting people pay money to get better performance in multiplayer is the epitome of dividing the player base.

The above information is written second hand from 'unnamed sources' with no official response from Sony.

10+ Year Old Account
    But the most important question is, will my Megadimension Neptunia VII console skin be able to fit on this new model?

Deleted
    Personally, I was already inclined to not buy anymore consoles after this generation. This assures me that I was going to do the right decision.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know much about consoles, I've never owned one... But does PS4 currently really offer 1.6 GHz processor frequency? That's like a very low end on PC 10 years ago... Is PS4 well optimized for multithreading or something, that would offset this limitation?
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Will it have more than 2 usbs? lol

Quote Originally Posted by Ave07 View Post
    PS3 was only on the market for 7 years before the ps4 came out. Rushed? LMAO.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    I don't know much about consoles, I've never owned one... But does PS4 currently really offer 1.6 GHz processor frequency? That's like a very low end on PC 10 years ago... Is PS4 well optimized for multithreading or something, that would offset this limitation?
    Frequency is a pointless number. The processor may not be godlike, but it still is way better than a 10 year old CPU. Both on per core and overall throughput. The architecture matters more than the frequency in the end. And yes actually, a console can be able to utilize multiple cores and thread way better than a PC 10 times out of 10 due to the closed and bare metal nature it allows.