Advice for level 80 hunter PvE twinking?

I'm playing a hunter (playing as MM, but willing to swap to a more effective spec if BM/Surv is stronger) who's trying to solo as much content as possible at 70, 80, and 85. Having finished my 70 journey a few days ago, I've now hit 80, but I've hit a snag. There are far fewer resources out there for level 80 twinking than there are for level 70, and a lot of it is very out of date. For instance, high ilvl gear from Cata/MoP used to be mandatory, but since the stat squish, it's far less certain, due to ICC gem slots. Thus, I'm not sure which gear I should be going for, and it would take a lot of work to go through each slot one by one, find all the top items for that slot, and figure out the best item from among those.

Does anyone know of some reasonably current resources for this information? Is it better to use the Cata/MoP items that only require level 80, or am I better off with ICC 25H gear? Does it vary by slot? A resource that gives slot by slot info would be fantastic, but any help would be much appreciated.
    In terms of spec, I'm willing to play whatever is going to be most effective, though I imagine that's likely to be MM based on my experience with BM while levelling from 70-80. I haven't tried Survival yet though (planning to level from 80-85 as Surv) so I'm not 100% sure.

I'll be looking to solo heroics and, if possible, 10-man raid bosses. Has anyone done this/tried this as an 80 hunter since the stat squish? How did you gear up?

Thanks for any advice you guys might be able to give.

10+ Year Old Account
    If its soloing you're looking to do, BM-spec Tenacity pets are badass little tanks at that level range.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    If its soloing you're looking to do, BM-spec Tenacity pets are badass little tanks at that level range.
    Are BM pets inherently more tanky than other specs, or are you talking about the ability to get exotic pets like Spirit Beasts? I looked at the BM page and didn't notice anything like that, and my Tenacity turtle seems just as tanky in MM as it does in BM.

My main issue is the DPS; do you find BM is able to do comparable DPS to MM at the level 80 range? Levelling from 70-77 as BM, I noticed my DPS went way down, even at 76-77 when I had been using BM for a bit and gotten somewhat used to the rotation. (I level by soloing dungeons, so I haven't just been faceroll-slamming buttons the whole time) I think the lack of Mastery, BM's best stat, really hurts it, and IIRC, Mastery only shows up on Cata+ gear. Perhaps in Cata/MoP gear, this would improve BM's DPS capabilities.

Deleted
    For gearing question, always equip highest ilvl items you can obtain.
    There is a good read about it.
    http://xpoff.com/threads/level-80-wo...s-lists.55544/
    http://pastebin.com/HXcjJ7ei

e: there is some rought sims for lvl80 twinks and BM doesnt look so bad link

Even with the gem slots cata gear is better. The way it was explained to me is every ilvl increase on the gear increases your damage by 1 percent. This is what the guild told me that only does thinking.