Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Have you had Pneumonia before?

So yesterday I went to my doctor and he diagnosed me with Pneumonia, which is a lung infection that causes intense fever. I was prescribed antibiotics and other cough reducing medicine.

If you have had Pneumonia before, how long did it take before you were feeling better?

To be clear, this is not me asking for medical advice, as I've already done that by going to my doctor. This is just me asking you how long was your recovery time?

It varies, since pneumonia is a sickness with several different possible causes. Pneumonia can be caused by a great number of reasons, fungi being rather rare, bacteria the most common case. I had patients stuck in bed for weeks, and some that recovered in a week. Make sure to regularily take your prescribed meds and drink at least 1.5 litres of clear water per day. If you feel dizzy for longer periods of time consult a doctor.

It also depends on wether you have primary or secondary pneumonia. Secondary pneumonia is pneumonia as a result of another illness or treatment of another illnes. Primary pneumonia is pneumonia as the single cause of your illness. If it is secondary, it may resurface, until the other condition is completly treated.

And again, and I cannot stress this enough: If you haven't consulted a doctor, do so. I know a great many stubborn people who further harmed themselves by saying 'its just pneumonia ill shake it off on my own'.
    Last edited by Skulltaker; 2016-04-19 at 03:37 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    I've had pneumonia twice. The first time was when I was ~6 years old so I don't remember too much. Everyone in my family had pneumonia that winter, and it felt like it took forever to recover. I would hazard a guess that it took everyone about 2 weeks to fully recover give or take a couple of days.

The second time probably doesn't apply, because it was postpartum related. I had it severely just 1 week after childbirth. I had to stay at the hospital for 3 days while they pumped so many antibiotics in me, but I was almost fit as a fiddle after I left the hospital. Those antibiotics were something else.

So yeah, it depends on the person and situation, but the best thing to do is to take it easy as much as possible for as long as you can, because you do not want to mess with it. Pneumonia kills a surprising amount of people. The better you follow your doctor's orders, the sooner you will get better.
    Mafia History

Mafia 2/2 | Town 6/9 | SK/Cult 1/2

Basically what Skulltaker said. My own case was very atypical; I didn't know I had had pneumonia until I was told I had some changes in my blood and lungs that suggested I had had pneumonia less than 6 months ago. Only fever I had had was like 37,1 and I didn't even skip school Obviously most cases are not like this, and due to the possible additional infections you might get, you shouldn't ever take it too lightly. Rest as long as you feel you need and a bit extra, and if your condition grows worse, consult a doctor.

Quote Originally Posted by Cephilia View Post
    Basically what Skulltaker said. My own case was very atypical; I didn't know I had had pneumonia until I was told I had some changes in my blood and lungs that suggested I had had pneumonia less than 6 months ago. Only fever I had had was like 37,1 and I didn't even skip school Obviously most cases are not like this, and due to the possible additional infections you might get, you shouldn't ever take it too lightly. Rest as long as you feel you need and a bit extra, and if your condition grows worse, consult a doctor.
    I assume that was some time ago...? Highly atypical, yes. If it wasn't, and you have the insurance, make sure your doctor checks you from time to time to prevent a latent infection. Some bacteria and viruses can be extremly persistent.

To the topic: This is one of those sicknesses that really need to run their course (monitored and under the perscribed meds, of course). Take your time, enjoy the rest. If you can, take a hot bath with some bath salts or inhale some peppermint oil (which should be available in a pharmacy) as soon as you feel better and the fever has gone down.
    Last edited by Skulltaker; 2016-04-19 at 03:55 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    So yesterday I went to my doctor and he diagnosed me with Pneumonia, which is a lung infection that causes intense fever. I was prescribed antibiotics and other cough reducing medicine.

If you have had Pneumonia before, how long did it take before you were feeling better?

To be clear, this is not me asking for medical advice, as I've already done that by going to my doctor. This is just me asking you how long was your recovery time?
    Answer is Yes.....
    Duration was 6 month.. of which 4 month was for the being unnoticed. Fever was very briefly maybe a couple days.
    How can you not notice a pneumonia? If you've chronic bronchitis you don't pay much attention to coughing periods here and there, hence the 4 month undetected.
    And then it took another 2 month to finally recover from it.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Twice once when I was a babby and once in high school. Puked at the hospital waiting for an x-ray to confirm pneumonia. Slept straight for over a week. Waking up only when my mom woke me to take anti biotics.

Lost almost 20lbs maybe more. After that I had another week off school where I was really weak and unable to do much.

Took a few months to get fully back to health.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    I assume that was some time ago...? Highly atypical, yes. If it wasn't, and you have the insurance, make sure your doctor checks you from time to time to prevent a latent infection. Some bacteria and viruses can be extremly persistent.
    Yeah, this was several years ago, and I live in Finland, so I had no problems with getting check ups. I have had other very atypical infections too, like pyelonefritis with only symptoms being very sudden and intense stomach pain and light temperature increase later on. Doctors often don't take me seriously because my weird symptoms and I have almost died from an abscess in my throat because of that.

10+ Year Old Account
    It varies, since pneumonia is a sickness with several different possible causes. Pneumonia can be caused by a great number of reasons, fungi being rather rare, bacteria the most common case. I had patients stuck in bed for weeks, and some that recovered in a week. Make sure to regularily take your prescribed meds and drink at least 1.5 litres of clear water per day. If you feel dizzy for longer periods of time consult a doctor.

It also depends on wether you have primary or secondary pneumonia. Secondary pneumonia is pneumonia as a result of another illness or treatment of another illnes. Primary pneumonia is pneumonia as the single cause of your illness. If it is secondary, it may resurface, until the other condition is completly treated.

And again, and I cannot stress this enough: If you haven't consulted a doctor, do so. I know a great many stubborn people who further harmed themselves by saying 'its just pneumonia ill shake it off on my own'.
    I did see a doctor, and he did some tests to determine what I had. He took like a q-tip and swabbed the back of my throat and inside my nose and ran tests to see if it was strep throat or something else. The test came back negative, so he took an x-ray of my chest and determined it was Pneumonia. He perscribed me a Z-pack and other cough suppressant medicine that I am currently taking.

Medical advice not allowed. Saying your not asking for medical advice when you're just asking for medical advice, doesn't mean it's not medical advice. "How long is the recovery time?" is medical advice because it someone say, oh, it takes 6 months to recover: it doesn't take 6 months to recover, and if you're still sick after 6 months, something else is going on that you should have been diagnosed for.

So this is still asking for medical advice.

I did see a doctor, and he did some tests to determine what I had. He took like a q-tip and swabbed the back of my throat and inside my nose and ran tests to see if it was strep throat or something else. The test came back negative, so he took an x-ray of my chest and determined it was Pneumonia. He perscribed me a Z-pack and other cough suppressant medicine that I am currently taking.
    Had to google z-pack since I'm not from the US.

My intent wasn't to accuse you of not going, I just came often upon patients who didn't a doctor with a suspected case of pneumonia, because relatives or friends said 'oh, it will be over, just keep warm and take some aspirin/paracetamol for the fever', which is extremly dangerous. I wanted to point hat out, that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    Medical advice not allowed. Saying your not asking for medical advice when you're just asking for medical advice, doesn't mean it's not medical advice. "How long is the recovery time?" is medical advice because it someone say, oh, it takes 6 months to recover: it doesn't take 6 months to recover, and if you're still sick after 6 months, something else is going on that you should have been diagnosed for.

So this is still asking for medical advice.
    I disagree. He/she asked for others recuperation times on pneumonia, not how to treat it. No advice was given, or asked for, except for 'follow your doctor's instructions', and that's not medical advice - unless you are a doctor yourself, that's common sense, and even then you should take other doctors advice. And also telling you the average recovery time for any disease isn't medical advice. Medical advice always includes the recomendation of a procedure. If I ask 'how was your first prostate exam' I'm not asking wether or not I should get one or not, I'm asking how it was for you.
    Last edited by Skulltaker; 2016-04-19 at 04:45 PM.

Had to google z-pack since I'm not from the US.

My intent wasn't to accuse you of not going, I just came often upon patients who didn't a doctor with a suspected case of pneumonia, because relatives or friends said 'oh, it will be over, just keep warm and take some aspirin/paracetamol for the fever', which is extremly dangerous. I wanted to point hat out, that's all.

I disagree. He/she asked for others recuperation times on pneumonia, not how to treat it. No advice was given, or asked for, except for 'follow your doctor's instructions', and that's not medical advice - unless you are a doctor yourself, that's common sense, and even then you should take other doctors advice.
    Again, recuperation time is medical advice, because if you should be health long before you are, but you don't think anything of it because someone told you it should take longer than it should, you run the risk of SERIOUS medical issues not being diagnosed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearly killed me

About a week to mostly clear the symptoms, then probably a month to feel 100%. That was when I was 25, in good shape, with a good diet. Your mileage may vary.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Last time I had pneumonia (both lungs) I was sick for 3 weeks, with fever lasting for 2. Took me at least a month to feel back to normal again.

The fact that it was in the middle of the winter and no one else was around to help me with my dog probably was behind it lasting for so long.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    Again, recuperation time is medical advice, because if you should be health long before you are, but you don't think anything of it because someone told you it should take longer than it should, you run the risk of SERIOUS medical issues not being diagnosed.
    Again, sharing personal stories isn't advice in any case. It's sharing personal stories. Everything that has been said in this thread so far could also be found in wikipedia, at least I'd be willing to bet on that. Asking others about personal experience with a sickness isn't bad in itself, as it often helps to hear from others how they coped with their illness, as long as you made sure to SEE A DOCTOR. Everything you said has already been stated in this thread multiple times. There is a nominal difference inbetween "What would you do?" - which is asking for advice, and "how was it for you?" - which is asking for experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    Last time I had pneumonia (both lungs) (...)
    To this day it confuses me that in english you speak of lungs in plural, while it is singular in german.
    Last edited by Skulltaker; 2016-04-19 at 04:59 PM.

Took me 2 weeks in the hospital, and another 2 weeks recovery at home after the surgery. Yes, my pneumonia was worse than the average case.

Yes, I got it and an infected wisdom tooth at the same time, it put in the Hospital, worst pain I ever went through

Again, sharing personal stories isn't advice in any case. It's sharing personal stories. Everything that has been said in this thread so far could also be found in wikipedia, at least I'd be willing to bet on that. Asking others about personal experience with a sickness isn't bad in itself, as it often helps to hear from others how they coped with their illness, as long as you made sure to SEE A DOCTOR. Everything you said has already been stated in this thread multiple times. There is a nominal difference inbetween "What would you do?" - which is asking for advice, and "how was it for you?" - which is asking for experiences.

To this day it confuses me that in english you speak of lungs in plural, while it is singular in german.
    It's possible people lie on the internet, shocking I know. The reason the site doesn't allow medical advice is because they don't want to be held even remotely liable. If someone is asking for other people's experience to base their own recovery time upon... or someone seeing this bases their recover time on it, possibly not the op... you see where I'm going.

I'm not even done with the old monia yet.
    Ba dum tsssssss

No. Never had it. I'm probably invincible.