Page 1 of 37
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Ghost in the Shell: Nerd rage complex

Hellur,

Something interesting came into my facebook feed while I was "working" today. Apparently, someone is making a live action ghost in the shell movie with Scarlet Johanson playing the stoic purple haired chick. I saw that some people were raging about it on social media.

A few things:

1. I don't think anyone can play the purple haired chick well. Race doesn't really factor into that. Personally, I would've hired the main female role in the Resident Evil movies for the job because that's probably the closest thing we got.

2. Are people just raging about a Japanese character being played by a white girl?

Have you heard of this nerdrage going on? What's your thoughts? Is there more to it than i'm mentioning?

I mean, i'll probably get a bootleg copy regardless.

People have been posting a lot of these. A lot of anime characters look European to me.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Any role played by Scarlett Johansson is an improvement over the source material.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

well a white chick did play fucking chun li...live action movies based on anime always suck anyways

Well, the character looks European so I don't see any problems with the casting. Just because it's made in Japan doesn't mean the character is Japanese.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ghost in the Shell characters look white as fuck.

Where's the problem...?

As a GitS fan, it's not just the white girl playing a japanese character.

It's also the white guy playing the cyber villain. That they've announced it involves the Laughing Man story, and that they've also announced changes to the underlying story and intent of Laughing Man.

It doesn't help that the media that's reported on it apparently has zero understanding of the material. The fact that Hollywood and psycho drama's pretty much never mix....

Basically everything I've seen/read already suggests that w/e this is, it's already a bastardization of what Ghost in the Shell is, and the spirit of the show.

are the races of the characters in ghost in the shell stated?

if yes, then i have a problem with anyone not of the race of the character playing them.

if no, then i suppose it's anything goes.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post

Where's the problem...?
    You could argue most anime looks white as fuck.

Wow, she's very Japanese-looking, what with her blue eyes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sztyrymytyry View Post
    Then why are people upset they're being played by white actors, especially since it's a movie made for the western audience?

Quote Originally Posted by sztyrymytyry View Post
    I mean the hell Ichigo and Orihime from Bleach are Japanese?

Major Motoko Kusanagi looks like a white woman with an asian name. I'm sure the same can be said to the character Scarlett Johansson will be playing in this movie.

I thought they had an actual picture of her from it anyway with that black/purplish hair and it does that shortish in the back to a longer point on the sides.

10+ Year Old Account
    People get mad over lots of things

Girl thor
    Black spiderman
    Black stormtrooper
    Female starwars lead
    Black Johnny storm
    etc
    etc

she's a robot, i guess they can give her any body they want. but if you watch the movie, she looks asian.

I don't think she's asian anyways so it's fine. People are overreacting. It's nowhere near the same as the Last Airbender.

Where was this backlash when Attack on Titan movie had asian actors when they are white in the anime (except Mikasa being the only Asian left).

Quote Originally Posted by mizeri View Post
    well a white chick did play fucking chun li...live action movies based on anime always suck anyways
    The actress who played chun li had a chinese mom and a dutch father. Shes asian and very beautiful imo.

Deleted
    Then why are people upset they're being played by white actors, especially since it's a movie made for the western audience?
    No, I don't have any wrong with it. I'm just tired to see Scarlet in n-th movie again XD But come on, it's like playing Egyptians by whites...that's just not..appropriate. Japs have a culture that needs some respect, unlike others...

15+ Year Old Account

Where's the problem...?
    The weebs are crying because live action based on anime should be played by generic hot asian women, as opposed to hot white women.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"