Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

1 killed, 4 wounded while recording rap video in Chicago park

Damond Dawson was "goofing around" with his brother and other relatives and friends, rapping and shooting video in Foster Park when two gunmen opened fire early Tuesday, killing Dawson and wounding four others, according to police and relatives.

“Basically like an ambush," said Dawson's aunt, Angela Mathis-Tate, 44. “One coming west of the park and one coming south."

The shooting happened around 2:20 a.m. as Dawson, 23, and a small group were “rapping around (taking) selfies with their phones” at Foster Park at 1440 W. 84th St., according to relatives.

Dawson was shot once in the back of the head and collapsed in the middle of the park, between a building and a playground. He was pronounced dead on the scene.

A 19-year-old woman was shot twice in the groin area and was taken in serious condition to Advocate Christ Medical Center. Three other men took themselves to the same hospital: a 20-year-old man shot nine times in the leg and shoulder, a 25-year-old man grazed in the leg and an 18-year-old man grazed in the back. Their conditions were stabilized.

The men are all related, according to Mathis-Tate. Dawson’s brother was shot, and the other two men are brothers who are Dawson’s second cousins.

“They were very close,” Mathis-Tate said. “It was like they were all brothers. They just hung out together, go to parties together, go to clubs.”

Some witnesses said the group was staging a party scene for a video titled “Two Tecs and a 50 Shot,” but Mathis-Tate said they were just having some fun in the park. http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...418-story.html

Oh yea, I read this in the paper this morning.

Another article I read this morning predicted a rise in shootings this coming summer. Last summer, the city was insane. Especially around the 4th- I went back to work, read the paper on the train and was shocked at just how ridiculous the violence was over just that weekend.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...706-story.html

It's ruthless out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Oh yea, I read this in the paper this morning.

Another article I read this morning predicted a rise in shootings this coming summer. Last summer, the city was insane. Especially around the 4th- I went back to work, read the paper on the train and was shocked at just how ridiculous the violence was over just that weekend.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...706-story.html

It's ruthless out there.
    Yeah it's the culture there literally. Kids think it's no big deal to shoot someone over a stupid beef.

So sad. Just teens trying to have some fun and some jackass ruins a family's life. Stupidity needs to be illegal in this country, it is the most dangerous thing about living in the US.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Yeah it's the culture there literally. Kids think it's no big deal to shoot someone over a stupid beef.
    Whoever killed and wounded these people deserves to be tortured relentlessly. Death isn't a good enough punishment for them.
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    So sad. Just teens trying to have some fun and some jackass ruins a family's life. Stupidity needs to be illegal in this country, it is the most dangerous thing about living in the US.
    Yeah just some fun "Some witnesses said the group was staging a party scene for a video titled “Two Tecs and a 50 Shot"

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    Whoever killed and wounded these people deserves to be tortured relentlessly. Death isn't a good enough punishment for them.
    Well that went from 0-100 real quick.

Foster park is in the middle of a hellhole, they were out at 2 am in a gang infested neighborhood park rapping (probably selling drugs), they aren't angels I'm guessing.

What is the purpose of this thread?
    You can't fix stupid. But damn it you can troll it!

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    Foster park is in the middle of a hellhole, they were out at 2 am in a gang infested neighborhood park rapping (probably selling drugs), they aren't angels I'm guessing.
    What?!! His aunt even stated "He was really, you know, just goofing around, playing like he could rap a little bit,” she said. “He wasn’t no rapper. He was a newcomer just trying to say some lyrics.” He sometimes went by the name “Thugga,” according to family and friends."

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hif View Post
    At least eight other people were wounded in shootings on the West and South sides from midmorning Monday through early Tuesday, police said.

• At about 6:10 a.m. Tuesday, an 18-year-old man was shot in the Humboldt Park neighborhood, according to preliminary information from police. He was hit in both legs and the torso and went to Stroger Hospital. His condition was stabilized.

• At 3 a.m., a 17-year-old boy was shot in the Belmont Central neighborhood, police said. He was shot in the left calf and right thigh. He went to Community First Medical Center and his condition was stabilized.

• At 12:05 a.m., a 24-year-old man was critically wounded in South Austin. He was in the 5500 block of West Congress Parkway when he was shot in the chest and abdomen and grazed in the leg. He was listed in critical condition at Loyola University Medical Center.

• At about 9 p.m., a 30-year-old woman took herself to the hospital after being grazed in the head by a bullet in West Garfield Park. She told investigators she was in the 4300 block of West Wilcox Street when someone fired shots from a passing van. She got herself to Stroger Hospital and her condition was stabilized.

• At 7:35 p.m., a 19-year-old man was shot on a porch in South Shore, said Officer Veejay Zala, a police spokesman. He was sitting on a back porch in the 7200 block of South Bennett Avenue when someone fired shots, hitting him in the left leg. He went to Northwestern Memorial Hospital and his condition was stabilized.

• About 6:05 p.m. a man and a woman were shot in the Homan Square Neighborhood, said Officer Kevin Quaid, a police spokesman. The two were on the sidewalk in the 3500 block of West Polk Street when someone they later told police they didn't recognize opened fire.

A 28-year-old man was shot nine times and taken to Mount Sinai Hospital in critical condition. A 26-year-old woman was shot once in the buttocks and was taken to Mount Sinai in good condition.

• Earlier, a 22-year-old man was wounded Monday morning in a shooting on the South Side in the city's Park Manor neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    I dont see why thats relevant- I mean, Will Smith just got shot over something stupid and he was a Saint!

Quote Originally Posted by Ziphr View Post
    I dont see why thats relevant- I mean, Will Smith just got shot over something stupid and he was a Saint!
    He was a saint and a sinner, coming back from a strip club.

They didn't start the shootings til 2am? Sounds like they were late, usually the first homicide of the day is shortly after midnight or around 1-ish in Chicago.

Quote Originally Posted by RickJamesLich View Post
    They didn't start the shootings til 2am? Sounds like they were late, usually the first homicide of the day is shortly after midnight or around 1-ish in Chicago.
    • At 12:05 a.m., a 24-year-old man was critically wounded in South Austin. He was in the 5500 block of West Congress Parkway when he was shot in the chest and abdomen and grazed in the leg. He was listed in critical condition at Loyola University Medical Center.

It scary to think of ambushes taking place in Americas parks.

Quote Originally Posted by Hif View Post
    To say they deserved it because their song title.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    Ah come on Granyala, there's several possible reasons for it. A few that would get us banned here like pointing out a deficite in his mental capacity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
    Man I swear, every time someone uses the term 'Critical Thinking' I want to pop em in the mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Austin is like the most dangerous neighborhood in Chicago.

Quote Originally Posted by Bapestar View Post
    To say they deserved it because their song title.
    I dunno, shouldn't these be the things #BLM is concerned about? Not the song title, the fact a black man is more likely to be shot by another black man then he is by a white man?

10+ Year Old Account
    If only those kids had had guns, they could have blindly fired into the dark at their attackers and everyone would have come out smelling like sunshine and rainbows, right?
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Why aren't there ever shootings during the filming of polka videos?!?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    If only those kids had had guns, they could have blindly fired into the dark at their attackers and everyone would have come out smelling like sunshine and rainbows, right?
    They were probably in the middle of the 3 day waiting period...

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    If they were legally allowed to own a firearm, yes.