Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    phones don't belong in schools for the same or at least similar reasons they don't belong at the (at most) workplace.
    Literally the only time I have ever had a workplace say that cell phones weren't allowed was when we were working in top-secret environments, and even then, it was just that they had to be off, not that you couldn't have them on you.

Quote Originally Posted by dusselldorf View Post
    Why not just design schools with walls and ceilings that block cell signals?
    Or just like host it in a 3 season long Bio-Dome session and release them in the summer.
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

10+ Year Old Account
    That'll work out real well when there's a shooting event at the school or something and nobody can call out to 911. That's why cell disruption tech is pretty hugely illegal.

Phones arent permitted at my kids school, if you have one they take it till the end of the day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    If we want to talk about mandatory monitoring programs for kids' cell phones while in school, I can get behind that, since I understand that need, but I'd rather spend the efforts trying to integrate that resource, rather than exclude it.
    This would be a very interesting idea. An application that blocks access during preset times of the day. Not sure how that would go over that the school is modifying your personal property. I'm sure someone would cause a stink about it.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by paluman View Post
    This. I don't really see the problem with bringing phones to school. If you use them in class and the teacher sees it, they warn you first and if you do it again, you have to hand it in. I don't really see the need to completely ban them.
    That doesn't happen, they bring NO BENEFITS THAT ARE WORTHWHILE, and instead are a distraction to at least one student if not more. In addition taking a students cell phone is hard, they won't give it up, which means I either have to let them keep it and show students they can do whatever, or send them to the office, which 1/3 times they won't leave so I have to call security to take them all.

Honestly there is no reason you need a cell phone in class, NONE. None of these kids are so important that they require a cellphone, and if they parents need the child guess what, they can either show up at school or call and get patched through to the students classroom.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Meh, I don't really see that as necessarily a failing of the teacher either, though. If the kid isn't going to pay attention, they're not going to pay attention. You can't force them, and no amount of song and dance is going to get them interested in that Geometry lecture.
    For 99.9% of kids, that's just not true. Figuring out how to make the lesson relevant to your students is a teacher's job. You might run into a kid who's truly unreachable once or twice in a 5 year career, but that's about it.

That'll work out real well when there's a shooting event at the school or something and nobody can call out to 911. That's why cell disruption tech is pretty hugely illegal.
    Ridiculous. There's not a school on the planet that doesn't have a plethora of land lines.

Idk I've never really seen it as a big deal (then again I'm not attached to my phone). I'm a pretty smart guy and if you give me a textbook I can basically teach myself the course and easily get above an 80% on your tests. Put it this way. I have always wanted to do well in school, I did in high school and I continue to do so in Uni while using my phone whenever the need arises (which is not often, doesn't mean I always pay attention when I'm not using it either). Another thing we all need to consider is that the children that don't want to pay attention will continue to do so with or without a phone.

There is absolutely NO REASON why anyone under 18 should need a smartphone.

Parents are the problem, not the phones themselves.

For 99.9% of kids, that's just not true. Figuring out how to make the lesson relevant to your students is a teacher's job. You might run into a kid who's truly unreachable once or twice in a 5 year career, but that's about it.
    Endus are you a teacher? I am, and let me tell you, no matter HOW INTERESTING or AWESOME your class work is, it wont apply to every student, best case you reach 90%. However phones allow them to do what they want 100%. I lose to the cellphone and very few students can stay focused enough to pay attention to me and not their phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

I don't see why we should go to such an extreme as to ban phones.

In high school, the rule was that if your phone rang in class, it was an immediate detention. If you were caught using your phone in class, that was also a detention.

Ridiculous. There's not a school on the planet that doesn't have a plethora of land lines.
    Finding a landline is a bit more risky than opening your pocket, though.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rassman View Post
    Another thing we all need to consider is that the children that don't want to pay attention will continue to do so with or without a phone.
    This is a tough one. You have an easily distracted child, for whatever reason.

A. You can either limit their access to distractions in hopes that they won't have any choice but to listen.

B. Give them free reign to be as distracted as they wish by allowing them the largest for of entertainment available.

C. Or, you can get the school councilor and parents involved to figure out why the child is so easily distracted, and make a change.

Out of the above, I feel C is likely the best solution. But if I had to rate them in order of potential effectiveness, it would be C, A, B.

B is by far the worst possible solution to the issue.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account
    Literally the only time I have ever had a workplace say that cell phones weren't allowed was when we were working in top-secret environments, and even then, it was just that they had to be off, not that you couldn't have them on you.
    Cell phones posing a distraction.. I pay you for working, not for hanging on the phone.. In labor intensive job fields they also pose a safety risk, and can be a safety hazard depending on the work environment.
    We've gone a long way in our evolution.. Along that way we were all perfectly okay to use phones only in the events of an emergency, be it receiving a call or having to make one. We managed to get by with that. And we can continue to get by that way.
    Having the phone turned off, as you said, is imo sufficient though.
    Whether you have the gadget on you or not is not the relevant part. It's the active phone that has no place in both, school and workplace, while being occupied of course.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

I dunno, I feel like you don't remember your own teenage years or something. At least where I went to school, probably 50% or more of kids were doing their own thing during certain classes, namely math/science classes.

You say it's their job, but they have no way of actually ensuring that attention is paid. They can't force it, so if a kid just doesn't want to pay attention, what's the solution? How do you make that horse drink?
    I'd say the chances are high that you are dealing with a disruptive student if they cannot follow such a rule. And phone or no, they probably will keep being distracting (now with a vengeance, since you took their phone).
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

That would only cost a few hundred billion or spend a few million on wifi jammer.

Isn't this a case of fighting the inevitable?

People/kids are gonna be glued to tablets/phones all day. Any way to integrate that into education?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

10+ Year Old Account
    As if anything of value is taught past 8th grade. Past that point, google would be your best teacher. It doesn't matter if they are distracted.

Schools already have bans on phones in school. If a phone is seen it is taken. Parents must pick them up. Many teachers don't care, however, and allow you to use them for music while doing classwork.
    Last edited by docterfreeze; 2016-04-20 at 05:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I dunno, I feel like you don't remember your own teenage years or something. At least where I went to school, probably 50% or more of kids were doing their own thing during certain classes, namely math/science classes.
    I don't have to think back to my teenage years, I just have to think back to when I was teaching.

You say it's their job, but they have no way of actually ensuring that attention is paid. They can't force it, so if a kid just doesn't want to pay attention, what's the solution? How do you make that horse drink?
    You figure out what they're thirsty for.

That's better than half of what being an educator means. Making the curriculum relevant and interesting to your students. ALL of them, not just the few that'll pay attention regardless.