Deleted

Drive is empty... except that computer doesn't think so?

Given that I'm soon installing Windows 10 I decided to move stuff I want to safe places as I'll be doing a clean install, having never re-formatted my drive. As such, my (D: ) partition was emptied. I have nothing left in it, I even checked to see if there's hidden folders or something, there aren't.

However... my computer seems to think that there are still 16.2 GB in there !?!?

And I also checked the other partition, (E: ), and everything seems ok in there (though that one is not empty yet). Does anyone have any idea of how this happened?

Did you empty the recycle bin?
    I don't think this matters nearly as much as you think it does.

On just about any HDD Windows will "reserve" space for system files and what not. That is likely what you are seeing here. The drive is more than likely empty, but Windows has reserved that space, just in case it needs it.

It could also possibly be hidden files. Turn on Display Hidden Files and perhaps some things will show themselves, but that amount seems pretty indicative of reserved space.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    On just about any HDD Windows will "reserve" space for system files and what not. That is likely what you are seeing here. The drive is more than likely empty, but Windows has reserved that space, just in case it needs it.

It could also possibly be hidden files. Turn on Display Hidden Files and perhaps some things will show themselves, but that amount seems pretty indicative of reserved space.
    I see, thank you for explaining that. Makes sense since at one point (C: ) was full so before I realized it it would be understandable that the computer just reserved space in the next drive where there was some.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It could also be that the computer hasn't refreshed that drive yet.

I've deleted tons of stuff on a drive before, and sometimes it would take a few minutes before it shows that it's empty.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Is there perhaps a recovery partition on the drive? They are sometimes "invisible".

all you need to do is format the drive

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by skatblast View Post
    all you need to do is format the drive
    Yup, I'm going to do that in a few days when I upgrade to Windows 10.

Deleted
    pagefile and/or hibernation file.

10+ Year Old Account
    Did you just 'delete' the files (As in highlight, click delete, confirm, empty trash) or did you actually format the drive?
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Did you just 'delete' the files (As in highlight, click delete, confirm, empty trash) or did you actually format the drive?
    The last ones (some over 30 GB I actually cut and pasted onto the external drive).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    The last ones (some over 30 GB I actually cut and pasted onto the external drive).
    Just format the drive. It's a bad idea not to. It will solve the problem -and- prep it.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Just format the drive. It's a bad idea not to. It will solve the problem -and- prep it.
    Will do, thanks for the suggestion.